Why Not Legalize HS Recruiting?

OldSchoolLion

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I like what you sent me, but that still locks teams into a fixed District in which they may not be competitive. Less classifications with the ability to move teams for competitive purposes, to me that would be a good change.

One thing I could do with it is this 

You could run one cycle (2 years) with the super urban's (since they have a A and B option) and after the first cycle you could then rearrange the districts in more a D1 and D2 format by taking the top half of records over the 2 years into D1 and bottom half into D2 instead of population

I watched the Clemson - Notre Dame game two weeks ago and felt it was one of the best football games that I have seen in years. Granted, Clemson was without Lawrence, the teams were as close to equal as one could expect. They went back and forth all game with ND winning in overtime. I didn't think either team was a loser. It was a great game for fans of both teams and even fans without a rooting interest. I see very few HS games play out that way because there is such a lack of balance in talent.

1 minute ago, HornetFan said:

I watched the Clemson - Notre Dame game two weeks ago and felt it was one of the best football games that I have seen in years. Granted, Clemson was without Lawrence, the teams were as close to equal as one could expect. They went back and forth all game with ND winning in overtime. I didn't think either team was a loser. It was a great game for fans of both teams and even fans without a rooting interest. I see very few HS games play out that way because there is such a lack of balance in talent.

Yeah but for all we know Clemson could blow Notre Dame out in the rematch with Trevor Lawrence 

We don't know unfortunately but while Notre Dame looks better than any Notre Dame team I've seen in my time of watching sports I'm not sold they are the elite program they used to be 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

One thing I could do with it is this 

You could run one cycle (2 years) with the super urban's (since they have a A and B option) and after the first cycle you could then rearrange the districts in more a D1 and D2 format by taking the top half of records over the 2 years into D1 and bottom half into D2 instead of population

That would work for the Super Urbans, but unless you continually reshuffle teams up and down, how do you find a way to get a team like Madison County into a Division where they don't put a running clock on most teams?

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah but for all we know Clemson could blow Notre Dame out in the rematch with Trevor Lawrence 

We don't know unfortunately but while Notre Dame looks better than any Notre Dame team I've seen in my time of watching sports I'm not sold they are the elite program they used to be 

I go back a long way to the great ND teams, the great Oklahoma teams, and the great Nebraska teams to name a few, Back the, teams did not have scholarship limits and teams like Nebraska were known to sign every prospect they could with scholarship levels around 125 athletes. There was no balance in college football. 

I don't think ND can beat Clemson if Lawrence plays, but for that one game without him, the teams put on a fantastic show. Scholarship limits of 85 athletes has brought some level of competition, but there will always be super teams. If you have 25 five stars in your 85, you'll be a lot better than a team full of 3 stars.

HS competition will never be perfect, but right now, we have such an in-balance. I watched Winter Park put running clocks on 4 or 5 opponents this season and it wasn't enjoyable. Too many kids that were reserves and wanted to see action received little playing time because that clock never stopped running in the 2nd half. 

9 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

That would work for the Super Urbans, but unless you continually reshuffle teams up and down, how do you find a way to get a team like Madison County into a Division where they don't put a running clock on most teams?

Unfortunately it's a unfortunate downside that I really can't fix without trying to manipulate the numbers 

While it won't exactly make Madison get a comumpance it does put a larger school like Marianna and Taylor County into their region and it also puts Pahokee in the opposite bracket which may force that matchup at states and going by recent history Pahokee has been able to hang with them in the games but it would be a state matchup instead of state semifinals matchup

North

Blountstown High School

Northview High School

Franklin County High School

Port St. Joe High School

Wewahitchka High School

Holmes County High School

Graceville High School

Marianna High School

Baker High School

Bozeman High School

Sneads High School

Jefferson County High School

Liberty County High School

Madison County High School

Jay High School

Taylor County High School

Freeport High School

Chipley High School

Vernon High School

FAMU High

South

Dixie County High School

Hawthorne Middle/High School

Newberry High School

Fort White High School

Trenton High School

Bell High School

Moore Haven High School

Hamilton County High School

Lafayette High School

Bronson High School

Chiefland High School

Williston High School

Hilliard High School

Pahokee High School

Wildwood Middle High School

Branford High School

Fort Meade High School

Union County High School

The question of whether the FHSAA should regulate recruitment... the simple answer is yes. They should. When the punishment is found though (which is rare), it shouldn't go to the school or to the players (unless the player wanted $$$). Instead, the punishment should be the removal of a coaches' teaching certificate by the State Board of Education. You want coaches to take it seriously, threaten their livelihood. If it is an outsider or players, can't stop it. Don't try, but the coaches should not be doing any of the recruiting. 

As a matter of reality, I have suggested for over 10 years that the FHSAA basing their classifications on population was idiotic (in all sports). Teams should be grouped based on their previously shown success. You are already seeing teams doing this by choosing to go independent rather than compete in the FHSAA playoffs. 

Start with classifications based on population, in today's FHSAA world, use the RPI points with the top 8-10 teams in the final poll over a two year period moving up one classification and the bottom 8-10 moving down. Do this every year and slowly good teams will be facing off against good teams in districts and size of school won't matter. 

Do Bolles, Trinity Christian, and University Christian really need to be playing in the 2A, 3A, and 4A or should the be playing in bigger classes. Should a Stanton or Interlachen really be playing at their current classification or should they be lower? At the same time do some of those Miami-Dade schools that have populations in the thousands, who don't want to play Northwestern or Central, allow them to move down to a lower classification where they might be competitive. 

Could you have the random 3A team that all of a sudden recruits some studs and runs through everyone, sure. But that is like winning a Division 3 national championship instead of an FBS championship. Sure, you won, but does anybody really care?

What is ethically wrong with recruiting hs athletes?  Look at this through the eyes of a kid today.

Recruiting is all around us and considered a perfectly normal aspect of life.  There is nothing illegal about companies recruiting talent away from other companies.  Some believe the threat of losing talent is good for competition.  Yet somehow we expect to tell hs kids it is not good for you and have them believe us.  

Some hs coaches complain about kids not being loyal to them, yet give no assurances that they will not bench a kid as soon as a better transfer comes along.  It's a free agency world we are living in today.  The kids see that and some likely feel we as adults are hypocritical.    

In the dinosaur days, many hs games were turf battles, ie this town vs that town, this hood vs that hood.  Even in the private schools, most of the kids who attended were from relatively close by.  One did not see a bunch of Miami-Dade athletes going to a Broward private school like one does today.  Recruiting potentially took away from the aspect of a team being a true representation of that geographical area, so it was frowned upon.  

With the onset of urban sprawl, we have lost a lot of our geographical identity.  And with the ability of kids to move around much more freely today, high school populations, and subsequently hs teams, are somewhat "random."  

As a society, we don't have a problem taking a completely random bunch of pro or college players, putting them in the same uniform, and identifying them as "my team."   At the end of the day, pro and college fans enjoy watching quality players and good competition.

So, what is the hang-up with high school?  Why can we not do the same?  What is the problem with high schools recruiting and having all-star teams?  I ask the question because I think we all need to ask ourselves what about it really bothers us.   

Are we afraid of the kids being exploited?  I would say that high-school aged kids today are more aware than in the past.  I am much more worried about drug dealers or pedophiles than I am a rival's coach recruiting my star player.     

Is it the potential loss of innocence of high schoolers and our effort to protect them from the big, bad world?  If so, we don't seem to do a very good job of protecting kids from exposure on other fronts, ie handing electronic devices to very young children. 

Recruiting in the Corporate world used to have a negative stigma.  Some people still feel guilty talking to a job recruiter while they are employed, as if they are cheating on their spouse.  But that stigma has clearly changed.    Likewise, I think recruiting has a negative stigma in the world of hs athletics that may change over time. 

I understand some of the concerns.  These are kids we are talking about.  But a teenager today is in some ways much more grown up than a teenager 50 years ago.  The quicker our teens can figure out how the real world works, the better.     

10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In the dinosaur days, many hs games were turf battles, ie this town vs that town, this hood vs that hood.  Even in the private schools, most of the kids who attended were from relatively close by.  One did not see a bunch of Miami-Dade athletes going to a Broward private school like one does today.  Recruiting potentially took away from the aspect of a team being a true representation of that geographical area, so it was frowned upon.  

With the onset of urban sprawl, we have lost a lot of our geographical identity.  And with the ability of kids to move around much more freely today, high school populations, and subsequently hs teams, are somewhat "random."  

As a society, we don't have a problem taking a completely random bunch of pro or college players, putting them in the same uniform, and identifying them as "my team."   At the end of the day, pro and college fans enjoy watching quality players and good competition.

So, what is the hang-up with high school?  Why can we not do the same?  What is the problem with high schools recruiting and having all-star teams?  I ask the question because I think we all need to ask ourselves what about it really bothers us.   

Are we afraid of the kids being exploited?  I would say that high-school aged kids today are more aware than in the past.  I am much more worried about drug dealers or pedophiles than I am a rival's coach recruiting my star player.     

Is it the potential loss of innocence of high schoolers and our effort to protect them from the big, bad world?  If so, we don't seem to do a very good job of protecting kids from exposure on other fronts, ie handing electronic devices to very young children. 

Recruiting in the Corporate world used to have a negative stigma.  Some people still feel guilty talking to a job recruiter while they are employed, as if they are cheating on their spouse.  But that stigma has clearly changed.    Likewise, I think recruiting has a negative stigma in the world of hs athletics that may change over time. 

I understand some of the concerns.  These are kids we are talking about.  But a teenager today is in some ways much more grown up than a teenager 50 years ago.  The quicker our teens can figure out how the real world works, the better.     

BINGO  :):):)