The 5 Worst Teams in the State

OldSchoolLion

15 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

Teams are allowed to play an independent schedule and not attempt district play... or be part of the state series. The way these teams should approach rebuilding is to do just that. Continuing to play in the series for years and years when completely outgunned is a failure of leadership. 

Why is not a failure of leadership on the part of the FHSAA in putting teams that are clearly outmatched in the same division as teams that should play up 1 or 2 classifications? 

I understand what you are saying, nobody wants to get killed by the same teams every year, so going independent until you have a solid base is a fine idea. The reality though is that they never really compete against the same caliber team that they would face if they went back in the districts/state series, so they never improve to the level that they need. It makes more sense to move good teams up and bad teams down until they are at an equilibrium. 

17 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

Teams are allowed to play an independent schedule and not attempt district play... or be part of the state series. The way these teams should approach rebuilding is to do just that. Continuing to play in the series for years and years when completely outgunned is a failure of leadership. 

That's exactly what satellite, titusville, and cocoa beach is doing. It's worked out pretty well for satellite. 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Cocoa don't no want part of Cocoa Beach.:)

Reminds me of the season East Lee County forfeited their game against Cocoa the day before they were gonna play because they thought they scheduled Cocoa Beach. The following week Champagnat walked off the field just before halftime and forfeited their game against Cocoa. 

3 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Reminds me of the season East Lee County forfeited their game against Cocoa the day before they were gonna play because they thought they scheduled Cocoa Beach. The following week Champagnat walked off the field just before halftime and forfeited their game against Cocoa. 

minor details

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

You could add Titusville and Melbourne to that list from Brevard.

Titusville, Melbourne and Cocoa all fielded teams for the first time in the 20’s. They were the only football teams in Brevard County until the 60’s. 

back in the 50’s the county champ between the 3 would host the Shrine Bowl against an out of county foe

For Poinciana sake 14-56 as of today, one more game to go this season wednesday.  Of the 14 wins 7  (7-12) compared to (7-44) have been in the last 2 seasons. We are working on turning this program around finally and beginning to make progress. We lost at least 2 games that we should have won this year. No excuses! Classifications have been unfair to Poinciana due to the criteria based solely on total student body number. Which I understand. But as we know it is not a true representation of our populous.  Poinciana Is now and will be in the foreseeable future independent. We had this done a few years ago, but the AD who thought he knew everything, felt that Poinciana should compete in districts. So he put us back. We left a very bad 5a team and were reclassified as a very bad 7a team. Go figure! Our goal is to finally get Poinciana to be reasonably competitive at first, then we will rethink district play down the road. Why be in a district where there is no chance of winning a game or two, or even being competitive.  Being independent gives us total control of our schedule. We have scheduled like teams for the first time next year. Hopefully the results will be better. If not wins, just being competitive help a lot. This is a work in progress. It took 25 years to get this bad, wont get better over night. Especially with school of choice, why would someone choose Poinciana?  We have to win before they will come.  Hopefully I can update this wednesday night with 8 wins in the last 2 years!  EDIT, wednesday's game has been canceled due to the other team having Covid!

32 minutes ago, Beek said:

For Poinciana sake 14-56 as of today, one more game to go this season wednesday.  Of the 14 wins 7  (7-12) compared to (7-44) have been in the last 2 seasons. We are working on turning this program around finally and beginning to make progress. We lost at least 2 games that we should have won this year. No excuses! Classifications have been unfair to Poinciana due to the criteria based solely on total student body number. Which I understand. But as we know it is not a true representation of our populous.  Poinciana Is now and will be in the foreseeable future independent. We had this done a few years ago, but the AD who thought he knew everything, felt that Poinciana should compete in districts. So he put us back. We left a very bad 5a team and were reclassified as a very bad 7a team. Go figure! Our goal is to finally get Poinciana to be reasonably competitive at first, then we will rethink district play down the road. Why be in a district where there is no chance of winning a game or two, or even being competitive.  Being independent gives us total control of our schedule. We have scheduled like teams for the first time next year. Hopefully the results will be better. If not wins, just being competitive help a lot. This is a work in progress. It took 25 years to get this bad, wont get better over night. Especially with school of choice, why would someone choose Poinciana?  We have to win before they will come.  Hopefully I can update this wednesday night with 8 wins in the last 2 years!

Thank you for the wonderful post!  Many of the larger, new schools in the Metro areas have struggled over the past 25 years.  It makes no sense to start these schools off in the larger classifications.  They need time to get their feet on the ground.  Instead, "cultures of losing" develop in these programs and, as time passes, it becomes increasingly difficult to change that culture.  Sounds like you have been living it.   

Poinciana would be better served as an independent anyways.  Without massive transfers they would have no shot to ever win state. 

Poinciana should just try to get a game at Disney every year and then schedule teams that are comparable to them.  Let the goal always be to have 5-6 wins and be bowl eligible. 

Create a bowl game and host that every year that you are eligible.  I think satellite or Cocoa Beach does something like that 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Poinciana would be better served as an independent anyways.  Without massive transfers they would have no shot to ever win state. 

Poinciana should just try to get a game at Disney every year and then schedule teams that are comparable to them.  Let the goal always be to have 5-6 wins and be bowl eligible. 

Create a bowl game and host that every year that you are eligible.  I think satellite or Cocoa Beach does something like that 

You just took a page from my playbook. That is 100% the goal. Poinciana winning a state title, much less a district is not in the cards. We have no delusions of grandeur. We are trying to build a solid program for the school and for the student body to have something to get behind. 

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Satellite does the military bowl

On 11/24/2020 at 11:35 AM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Isn't jackson the same way?

Haven't been on here in a while.

Yes.  Jackson is the same.

Jackson and Wolfson's fate was sealed way back in 1990 when they opened First Coast and Mandarin.  All Northside kids went to Jackson prior to First Coast's opening and all Mandarin kids went to Wolfson prior to Mandarin opening.  So both Jackson and Wolfson have been reduced to focused magnet schools with only a few hundred students in each school.  In 2010, Atlantic Coast opened, but it did not have the same effect because they draw equally from Sandalwood and Mandarin.

Same thing happened in Clay County.  Orange Park survived when they converted Ridgeview and opened Fleming Island because they drew equally from OP, Middleburg and Clay.  But Oakleaf was the killer, because every Oakleaf kid went to OP prior to Oakleaf opening.

Keep an eye on St. Johns County in the next few years.  Two new schools will be built to further break up Bartram, Creekside and Nease.