7A Repeat?

EagleEye

The way things are looking this season I think it's somewhat safe to think we'll have a 7A rematch of Edgewater V STA, assuming that STA can scrape by Venice this year ;). But in all seriousness with Edgewater coming off of a 2 week break to then put up 52-0 during the 1st half against an incoming Viera at 77-0 (Points), I think it's reasonable to say they might keep this energy at home for another game for Mitchell and even on the road against what should be Niceville. But what are your guy's thoughts on the bracket this year?

(I honestly expected Wekiva to be going up against the Eagles next week.) 

11 hours ago, AmstaffNole said:

Niceville at home is tough to beat. They are def better than the team who lost last year 28-20. 

Good point.  IF Niceville can get by Fleming Island, they are 16-8 in the playoffs at home since 2000.  5 of those 8 losses were by a TD or less, and of those 5, 3 were by 1 point.  An undefeated Niceville team at home in the playoffs is likely going to give anyone a tough battle.    

1 hour ago, EagleEye said:

The way things are looking this season I think it's somewhat safe to think we'll have a 7A rematch of Edgewater V STA, assuming that STA can scrape by Venice this year ;). But in all seriousness with Edgewater coming off of a 2 week break to then put up 52-0 during the 1st half against an incoming Viera at 77-0 (Points), I think it's reasonable to say they might keep this energy at home for another game for Mitchell and even on the road against what should be Niceville. But what are your guy's thoughts on the bracket this year?

Venice vs Aquinas is going to be a great game. I expect it to be Edgewater vs Aquinas in the finals again, I think whoever wins between Venice-STA and Edgewater-Mitchell will represent the north and south brackets in 7A respectively.

4 hours ago, EagleEye said:

Edgewater has a great shot at making the final again if it can play up to its potential. This has been a difficult season as Edgewater has had four games scrapped due to Covid related issues. I think Edgewater gets by a scrappy Mitchell. However, I would not look past them. While they don't have a number of 3, 4 and 5 star recruits on their team, they have some good, fundamentally sound high school players. Assuming Edgewater is hyped up and plays at its best, then Niceville at their place is going to be a very close game. Edgewater is, in my homer (humble) opinion is more talented. However, it's a long trip to Niceville and they are thirsting for revenge. So, that game is not in the bag. Again, if the Eagles play their best game and keeps emotions in check, I think they win based on superior talent. 

I would love to see a rematch against St. Thomas, but would take a game against Venice or whoever. This would be Edgewater's 5 trip to states, and it is high time they win a championship. I still remember the heartbreaker in Tally back in 2002 when the Eagles were 40 seconds away from the title. 

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Good point.  IF Niceville can get by Fleming Island, they are 16-7 in the playoffs at home since 2000.  5 of those 7 losses were by a TD or less, and of those 5, 3 were by 1 point.  An undefeated Niceville team at home in the playoffs is likely going to give anyone a tough battle.    

Bartram Trail in 2007 and Mainland in 2003 are the two losses by more than a TD...

14 hours ago, EagleEye said:

I think this Edgewater's year to bring the state championship home to Orlando. It will probably be a rematch with STA, but with a different result this year. We may have multiple champions in Orlando this year with Apopka/Seminole winner (I know I'm looking ahead :lol:) and Jones also looking strong. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Attended the Manatee STA game and for a team that isn't "living up to its potential" STA looked like a well oiled machine. STA will be a tough out. On the first "drive" of the game STA ran through Manatee (2 plays) and on the second they went over them. 

They almost always are. This year is no exception. But I don't think this is one of their "unbeatable" teams. 

4 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Attended the Manatee STA game and for a team that isn't "living up to its potential" STA looked like a well oiled machine. STA will be a tough out. On the first "drive" of the game STA ran through Manatee (2 plays) and on the second they went over them. 

Do you think Venice has a chance on Friday?

5 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Seems like I have heard that a number of times over the past decade, yet....  Maybe some have unrealistic expectations.

11 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Do you think Venice has a chance on Friday?

Yes, unfortunately I have only seen Venice getting destroyed (IMG) and Destroying (Lakeland) so my base of knowledge is limited this season on Venic but I don't think you can count on STA to make mistakes to lose the game. 

20 minutes ago, Legion37 said:

As a Lakeland Fan I've never viewed any STA team as unbeatable ;)

I can remember one. On a cool night in Orlando, I saw it beat a very good Lakeland team in a facile, unrelenting manner. This was about 9 or 10 years ago. That St. Thomas team looked unbeatable to me. At least by a high school team. They put up around 50 points. I don't believe Lakeland had given up more than 20 in any of its previous 14 games on its way to the title game. 

I remember turning to my friend at the game and saying: "I think we have just seen the very best high school team of at least the last 20 years." To which he replied, that St. Thomas team would likely have beaten several D2 college teams. I did not doubt him. 

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I can remember one. On a cool night in Orlando, I saw it beat a very good Lakeland team in a facile, unrelenting manner. This was about 9 or 10 years ago. That St. Thomas team looked unbeatable to me. At least by a high school team. They put up around 50 points. I don't believe Lakeland had given up more than 20 in any of its previous 14 games on its way to the title game. 

I remember turning to my friend at the game and saying: "I think we have just seen the very best high school team of at least the last 20 years." To which he replied, that St. Thomas team would likely have beaten several D2 college teams. I did not doubt him. 

Darter, that may have been the 2008 4A Championship game.   STA beat Lakeland 56-7. 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Darter, that may have been the 2008 4A Championship game.   STA beat Lakeland 56-7. 

That was it! It was one of the most dominating performances I have ever seen against another state caliber team. I was almost in awe of that team. If I had the ability to put together an Apopka all star team from the past 20 years, it would have probably gotten spanked just as badly. And, for context, that team would include at least 10-12 current or former NFLers. 

I took my grandson to the UCF camp for linemen, not this Summer (Covid), but the previous Summer. STA brought about 10 of their linemen to the camp. I couldn't believe that one HS team had so many kids that big and that talented. More than half of them were at least 6'4" or 6'5" and athletic, and all seemed to be at least 275 pounds or more. It was an impressive display of size and talent. 

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I took my grandson to the UCF camp for linemen, not this Summer (Covid), but the previous Summer. STA brought about 10 of their linemen to the camp. I couldn't believe that one HS team had so many kids that big and that talented. More than half of them were at least 6'4" or 6'5" and athletic, and all seemed to be at least 275 pounds or more. It was an impressive display of size and talent. 

St. Thomas has great talent scouts on campus. 

20 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I know this is way off topic, but since we got on the topic of STA, I recently ran across this article and found it interesting:

https://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news/st-thomas-aquinas-fired-coach-after-benching-principals-grandson-10413099

If I were a coach, I would have met a similar fate as Nelson. To not be given the freedom to put the best team out there in my professional opinion is to place an unacceptable collar. Thus, I, too, would have had to depart.