An unfortunate Hit

DarterBlue2

11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

HornetFan, first of all that official is not a "ref' he is the line judge. Secondly, I don't know how you could make a determination that the official was making up for a missed call a few plays earlier unless you have some kind of mind reading powers that no one else possess. Thirdly, no Referee who is worth a darn is going to overrule any other official when it comes to player safety. Like I said, the onus is on the defender to be able to hold up, and not commit that kind of foul. That is the way that the game is going to be officiated now, and it is not going back.  

Yeah, and garbage men are now called sanitary engineers; the label "ref" is not what is important here. You used the term "referee" two sentences later. The WR wasn't hit head on; it was a glancing hit and it wasn't at top speed. You say, "no Referee who is worth a darn is going to overrule any other official when it comes to player safety"; if that is so, why do they have booth reviews in college and the NFL? Targeting, supposedly the most heinous penalty in football when it comes to player safety, is reviewed each time an official calls it, and many times the reviewer overturns the call of the official on the field. The officials on the field in college and pro games are supposed to be the most competent officials in the sport and they can be overturned. HS officials, who are part-time officials, make mistakes all the time and they should not be subject to review? That's ridiculous, especially when a bad call can determine not only the outcome of the game, but the end of the season for a team.

12 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Yeah, and garbage men are now called sanitary engineers; the label "ref" is not what is important here. You used the term "referee" two sentences later. The WR wasn't hit head on; it was a glancing hit and it wasn't at top speed. You say, "no Referee who is worth a darn is going to overrule any other official when it comes to player safety"; if that is so, why do they have booth reviews in college and the NFL? Targeting, supposedly the most heinous penalty in football when it comes to player safety, is reviewed each time an official calls it, and many times the reviewer overturns the call of the official on the field. The officials on the field in college and pro games are supposed to be the most competent officials in the sport and they can be overturned. HS officials, who are part-time officials, make mistakes all the time and they should not be subject to review? That's ridiculous, especially when a bad call can determine not only the outcome of the game, but the end of the season for a team.

I am talking about High School Football, I don't care to discuss NFL and College Football officiating. I meant that the official who wears the white hat is called the Referee, while the other positions have different titles, but not "ref".  Also, the dead-ball Personal Foul did not end Boone's season, their inability to stop Vero Beach's offense did. If you think that High School Football officiating should be subject to review, why don't you step up and pay for the technology to make this feasible? 

4 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

I am talking about High School Football, I don't care to discuss NFL and College Football officiating. I meant that the official who wears the white hat is called the Referee, while the other positions have different titles, but not "ref".  Also, the dead-ball Personal Foul did not end Boone's season, their inability to stop Vero Beach's offense did. If you think that High School Football officiating should be subject to review, why don't you step up and pay for the technology to make this feasible? 

I'm not hung up on titles; I'll leave that to people that feel such titles are relevant. I'm one of those fans that think if officials are noticeable, especially near the end of a game, they're doing too much. In the case of Boone - VB, it would have been 4th down and 10 to go for a 1st down. VB would probably have punted instead of having an official extend their possession. As for paying for the technology necessary to review calls, these games are already being broadcast and taped. It wouldn't take much to have an official in the booth and let them review the play, just like professional officials do during college and NFL games.   

4 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I'm not hung up on titles; I'll leave that to people that feel such titles are relevant. I'm one of those fans that think if officials are noticeable, especially near the end of a game, they're doing too much. In the case of Boone - VB, it would have been 4th down and 10 to go for a 1st down. VB would probably have punted instead of having an official extend their possession. As for paying for the technology necessary to review calls, these games are already being broadcast and taped. It wouldn't take much to have an official in the booth and let them review the play, just like professional officials do during college and NFL games.   

Fine, then you can tell the schools that they have to pay for another official after giving a raise to the officials amid Covid, and all of the other budget problems that are being dealt with. Those kind of fouls are not going to be tolerated, and that is the way that the game is going amid all of the issues that football has to deal with when it comes to injuries and head trauma. Titles like Offensive-Defensive Coordinator are important so which position that an official is working at is also important.  If a team plays within the rules, the officials will not be noticed. 

30 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

There is technology available

The problem is the NFHS has to pass a rule allowing officials to use instant replay 

17 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Fine, then you can tell the schools that they have to pay for another official after giving a raise to the officials amid Covid, and all of the other budget problems that are being dealt with. Those kind of fouls are not going to be tolerated, and that is the way that the game is going amid all of the issues that football has to deal with when it comes to injuries and head trauma. Titles like Offensive-Defensive Coordinator are important so which position that an official is working at is also important.  If a team plays within the rules, the officials will not be noticed. 

If money is a problem, just move one official from the field up to the booth; that will just mean one less official on the field effecting play. It's hard to argue money being a problem when fans were being admitted to games this regular season at no cost, and that was with attendance being severely limited. I can see it will do no good to debate with you on this because you are obviously an official or former official, and in my opinion, you have an inflated view of the importance of officials. I don't think they should ever effect the outcome of the game, but they often do just that.

7 hours ago, Trelle said:

You don’t know Vero football, they would have went for it 10/10 times.

And that would have been fine. If they were successful, it would have been because of their play, not an official over-reacting to a "bang bang" glancing hit that didn't hurt anyone.

23 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I wasn't aware it was used for state championships

Is it done in florida because if so this is the first I've ever heard of this 

It was not done in Florida this past year, but maybe there will be replay at Doak Campbell Stadium this year. The NFHS allows for replay at neutral-site games in the rules.  

6 hours ago, HornetFan said:

If money is a problem, just move one official from the field up to the booth; that will just mean one less official on the field effecting play. It's hard to argue money being a problem when fans were being admitted to games this regular season at no cost, and that was with attendance being severely limited. I can see it will do no good to debate with you on this because you are obviously an official or former official, and in my opinion, you have an inflated view of the importance of officials. I don't think they should ever effect the outcome of the game, but they often do just that.

You know what, I agree with you. It is not with debating with you anymore. You clearly have a point-of-view that cannot be reasoned, and since you think that already know everything, there is no sense wasting time trying to explain things to you.