Teams That Fold in the Final 4

OldSchoolLion

Amongst schools in the larger classifications, 15 have appeared in 8 or more Final 4's.  13 of those 15 teams have appeared in 3 or more state finals and 11 of those have won multiple state titles. 

2 of the teams have only advanced to one state final, meaning they typically lost in the state semifinal game.  Who are those two teams?

One team has made it to 9 Final 4's and 5 state title games, but only has one state title to show for it.  Who is that team?  

9 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Amongst schools in the larger classifications, 14 have appeared in 8 or more Final 4's.  12 of those 14 teams have appeared in 3 or more state finals and 11 of those have won multiple state titles. 

2 of the teams have only advanced to one state final, meaning they typically lost in the state semifinal game.  Who are those two teams?

One team has made it to 9 Final 4's and 5 state title games, but only has one state title to show for it.  Who is that team?  

I believe the Deerfield Beach Bucs is one of the two teams to make it to at least 8 final fours but only one final. If I am correct, they lost that final to Palm Beach Gardens after upsetting the Northwestern Bulls the week before. 

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I believe the Deerfield Beach Bucs is one of the two teams to make it to at least 8 final fours but only one final. If I am correct, they lost that final to Palm Beach Gardens after upsetting the Northwestern Bulls the week before. 

Deerfield Beach is one of the two.  DB has appeared in 9 state semis since 1993 and lost 8 of them. 4 of those 8 losses were at home and 3 of the losses were by a TD or less.  In their defense, DB's playoff path the past 15 years has had them cross paths with some very tough Miami-Dade teams    

Looking at things in a positive light, that means that on average they make a state semi once every 3 years.  How many teams would not love to have that track record?  And during that time frame, DB is an amazing 9-1 in region finals.  They just seem to have a problem when it comes to state semis.

14 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Deerfield Beach is one of the two.  DB has appeared in 9 state semis since 1993 and lost 8 of them. 4 of those 8 losses were at home and 3 of the losses were by a TD or less.  In their defense, DB's playoff path the past 15 years has had them cross paths with some very tough Miami-Dade teams    

Looking at things in a positive light, that means that on average they make a state semi once every 3 years.  How many teams would not love to have that track record?  And during that time frame, DB is an amazing 9-1 in region finals.  They just seem to have a problem when it comes to state semis.

Two of those semifinal losses were to Orlando area teams. Apopka at Apopka in 2001 and Edgewater at Deerfield in 2003. 

20 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I believe the other team is Lake Wales. Is that correct?

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The second team mentioned in the first question has faced a murderer's row of competition in the state semis.  Certain teams in history have just gotten bad playoff draws and/or were in the wrong class at the wrong time, and this was one of them.  They may have multiple state titles otherwise.   

Okay, then I am going to go out on a limb and guess it is another Central Florida team. Would it be the Mainland Bucs, the team supported by my long suffering friend Dan in Daytona? If I am right, at least he had the pleasure of a state title in 2003.  

9 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Okay, then I am going to go out on a limb and guess it is another Central Florida team. Would it be the Mainland Bucs, the team supported by my long suffering friend Dan in Daytona? If I am right, at least he had the pleasure of a state title in 2003.  

It is Mainland!  Mainland is 1-7 in state semis over the years.  3 of those games were against Miami Central (2011, 2013, 2014) and 2 against Lakeland (2004, 2006).  Talk about some tough competition!

On a positive note, Mainland is 8-3 in region finals.

That is correct, but after Friday night this will be their 10th appearance in the final four tying Edgewater HS for the top spot in that stat in all of central Florida.   Quite an accomplishment when this program doesn't have the cache to attract top talent from other schools, but instead relies on its own homegrown players.