Most Playoff Wins without a State Title

OldSchoolLion

10 teams have won a ton of playoff games without a state title win.  5 of those teams, listed below with the number of playoff wins, have never won a state title.  The other 5 have won a state title, but it has been 20+ years since they did so.  Those in bold have won at least one state title and the number represents the playoff wins since their last title.

Can you name the 5 former state champions below who are in the midst of a drought?

#1 Deerfield Beach 40

#2 ????????? 39 

#3(tie) ????????? 38

#3(tie) Edgewater 38 

#5 ????????? 36 

#6 South Sumter 35

#7(tie) ?????????? 34 

#7(tie) ?????????? 34 

#9 Delray Beach Atlantic 33

#10 Lake Wales 31

• OldSchoolLion changed the title to Most Playoff Wins without a State Title

Old School, my numbers must be off a little.  But here are the teams that I have found that have won a single state title, but in each case, it was won more than 20 years ago:

Clewiston (won it in '82); 37 total playoff wins.

Columbia (won it in '67); 40 total playoff wins. 

Niceville (won it in '88); 36 total playoff wins.

Osceola (Kissimmee) (won it in '98); 48 total playoff wins. 

Vero Beach (won it in '81); 42 total playoff wins. 

When you say "playoff wins," are you just referring to playoff wins since they won their state title?   Or are my numbers just off?  Also, I'm including playoff wins from this year. 

17 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Old School, my numbers must be off a little.  But here are the teams that I have found that have won a single state title, but in each case, it was won more than 20 years ago:

When you say "playoff wins," are you just referring to playoff wins since they won their state title?   Or are my numbers just off?  Also, I'm including playoff wins from this year. 

Apologies if that was unclear.  It's playoff wins since the team won a state title and includes playoff wins this year.  Clewiston has 30 since they were co-champion, so Clewiston is not on the list.

38 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Columbia has 43 total playoff wins with their 4th one being the state championship so 39 playoff wins since 

In all honesty for all the crap people bash columbia about they still have been better off than a ton of programs in state history

43 playoff wins and one of only 3 programs in FL history with 700 wins but yet people act like columbia is a bunch of failures which is incredibly misleading especially considering the amount of kids getting a chance to play at the next level and the NFL 

Tied for 18th in FL history for most NFL players and tied for 10th in FL for active NFL players as well 

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Apologies if that was unclear.  It's playoff wins since the team won a state title and includes playoff wins this year.  Clewiston has 30 since they were co-champion, so Clewiston is not on the list.

Columbia would be #2 on the list with 39 playoff wins since their last state title 

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

And are we only talking about teams that have won a single state title or teams that have won at least one title (as long as their last one was 20 or more years ago)?

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Columbia has 43 total playoff wins with their 4th one being the state championship so 39 playoff wins since 

In all honesty for all the crap people bash columbia about they still have been better off than a ton of programs in state history

43 playoff wins and one of only 3 programs in FL history with 700 wins but yet people act like columbia is a bunch of failures which is incredibly misleading especially considering the amount of kids getting a chance to play at the next level and the NFL 

Tied for 18th in FL history for most NFL players and tied for 10th in FL for active NFL players as well 

Who are all of these people who "bash" Columbia and act like they a failure?  Maybe that's what you think people think.  I don't think anyone on this board thinks Columbia is a failure.  

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Who are all of these people who "bash" Columbia and act like they a failure?  Maybe that's what you think people think.  I don't think anyone on this board thinks Columbia is a failure.  

Maybe not on this board but I've seen it on other platforms 

I would post the screenshots of it but for some reason it wouldn't let me post screenshots on here (something about the image size being too big)

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Maybe not on this board but I've seen it on other platforms 

I would post the screenshots of it but for some reason it wouldn't let me post screenshots on here (something about the image size being too big)

Do yourself a favor.  Don't worry so much about what other people think.  You'll be much happier in life.

47 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Columbia has, and will continue to produce, a ton of talent. And, while not currently considered elite, taking the totality of its performances over the years, is among the most successful school programs in the state. 

There are many, many programs that would be very happy to be in Columbia's shoes. 

Tied at #7 is Niceville and Osceola.  

Niceville won a state title in 1988, winning it at home against Southeast at home.  1988 was the last year they held title games at the home field of one of the participants.  Since then, Niceville has only missed the playoffs 4 times.  Niceville has since made 4 Final 4 appearances and advanced to the title game twice, losing to Dwyer each time.  Word has it Niceville got tired of Jack Daniels!

Osceola won a state title in 1998 against Estero.  The Kowboys have only missed the playoffs twice since.  They have since made 5 final 4 appearances and advanced to the title game 3 times, losing twice to STA and once to Flanagan.

Vero Beach is at #5.  Vero won its only title at the Citrus Bowl in 1981 versus Panama City Mosley.  They have made 5 Final 4 appearances since then, but were not able to line up correctly on every play and failed to make it through to a final.  They did come close, losing by 10 or fewer points each time.  3 of those 4 losses took place in Miami.  There last state semi appearance was in 1998, when they lost a heartbreaker to Southeast.  Vero has a chance to advance if they can beat yet another Miami-Dade team. 

At #3 is Columbia.  Columbia won the Class A state title in 1967.  Pictured below was that team's stud 1-star qb(they only gave out two stars back then) Biff Gatahata donning the famous Tiger stripes. 

Columbia has made 33 playoff appearances since then, including a 1997 title game appearance, where the Tigers lost to Carol City.  It has been a long wait for the Tigers, who still have a chance to make it this year.   

Report: Here are Ohio State's new beautiful alternate uniforms for the 2016  season | For The Win

At #2, parked behind Deerfield Beach, we have Tampa Jesuit.  Jesuit won a controversial state title over Kathleen in 1968.  Trailing by a point and down to their last play, Jesuit's coach Bill Minihan called for his famous Holy Roller trick play.  Jesuit's entire offense came on the field dressed as priests.  Terrified of eternal damnation, Kathleen's defense kneeled, allowing Jesuit to score. 

Jesuit made it back to a final in 1992, but lost to Pasco.  Jesuit has been knocking on the door, though, making 4 Final 4 appearances in the past 5 seasons.  They have a chance to make the Final 4 once again this Friday when they host Jones.    

Priests Playing Football' Photographic Print | AllPosters.com