10 Undefeated Teams Playing Tonight

OldSchoolLion

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

There was a time we normally only played "local" teams during the regular season.  And before computers, one might know relatively little about your playoff opponent.  Heck, 50 years ago you might not find out a certain playoff opponent had a new coach until the game.

I mention this because there is a lot of emphasis today on strength of schedule to get one's team ready.  And I find it curious because in the old days a coach basically had to have his team ready for anything at any time. 

I hear some folks today talk about the need to schedule south FL teams to get exposed to their level of speed.  In the late 1970's and early 1980''s, the big school final often featured a south FL team vs a north Fl team.  In those matchups, the north FL schools won more than they lost.  They did it though gritty determination and good fundamentals.  

As an example, the 1976 and 1977 Carol City teams were excellent.  When they played Godby and Choctawhatchee in the finals, the speed of Carol City must have been awe-inspiring to those north FL schools.  Yet, Godby won and Choctawhatchee lost via a last minute field goal.   

Sorry if I sound preachy.  Just trying to present another perspective.           

I remember this very well. Growing up watching brevard heavyweights playing each other each week but times have changed. I'm not saying playing locally is detrimental to improving. All in all you just run into a team that's hitting on all cylinders at all phases of the game and just can't get any momentum going.

23 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I was really surprised by that result as well.  Gaither has been on a team on the rise in recent years.  Guess it goes to show that improvement is not always linear.  

Gaither's success was built more on 'assembling from outside' than 'building from within.'   They'll need another good 'recruiting class' (wink, wink) to stay on top.   Gaither's program attracts a certain type of player and when these players come together, the Gaither teams will continue to have a great deal of success against less talented teams.   But, these teams are not typically familiar with facing equally talented teams or, more importantly, adversity.  When faced with both, you end up with a beat-down to a team like Lake Minneola. 

8 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Gaither's success was built more on 'assembling from outside' than 'building from within.'   They'll need another good 'recruiting class' (wink, wink) to stay on top.   Gaither's program attracts a certain type of player and when these players come together, the Gaither teams will continue to have a great deal of success against less talented teams.   But, these teams are not typically familiar with facing equally talented teams or, more importantly, adversity.  When faced with both, you end up with a beat-down to a team like Lake Minneola. 

Only Tampa Catholic, Berkeley Prep and Jesuit recruit.  C'mon.:rolleyes:

On 12/4/2020 at 11:04 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Does anyone remember the days when Cocoa routinely had one the best defenses in the state, ie 2008-2011?   It's shocking to see Cocoa give up so many points. 

Wilks was a defensive guy first. Ryan S not so much. Cocoa could not stop the run in the semi against CG, but had no problem getting the ball into field goal range. Cocoa didn't have that RB that could drive for 3 or 4 yards up the middle on 3rd and 3. CG defensive front was just to big. 

9 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Wilks was a defensive guy first. Ryan S not so much. Cocoa could not stop the run in the semi against CG, but had no problem getting the ball into field goal range. Cocoa didn't have that RB that could drive for 3 or 4 yards up the middle on 3rd and 3. CG defensive front was just to big. 

Gibbons lived in Cocoa's backfield all game. Really a taste of their own medicine. They got humbled that night. Crazy thing is after watching the highlights from allamericanfilms on YouTube it seemed like Gibbons went in with a chip on their shoulder because of alot of talk coming from Cocoa. Which doesn't surprise me since Schneider was a coach a STA and USchool so he has some history with Gibbons.