Problems in Brevard County?

OldSchoolLion

Besides Rockledge and Cocoa, these are the notable high schools playing hs football in Brevard County and their records this season.

Does anyone see a problem here?  

Astronaut    5-2 (lost 27-7 to Satellite)

Bayside     4-5 (lost 53-8 to Cocoa and lost 35-7 to Rockledge)

Cocoa Beach     0-8 (lost 63-0 to Satellite)

Eau Gallie     7-2 (lost 27-13 to Cocoa)

Heritage     1-7 (lost 49-0 to Cocoa and lost 54-7 to Rockledge)

Melbourne     2-6 (lost 46-0 to Cocoa and lost 40-0 to Rockledge)

Melbourne Central Catholic     3-5   (lost 35-0 to Satellite)

Merritt Island     4-2 (lost 22-8 to Satellite)

Palm Bay     1-7 (lost 56-0 to Cocoa and lost 41-0 to Rockledge)

Satellite     7-1 (lost 41-7 to Cocoa)

Space Coast     2-5 (lost 37-0 to Satellite)

Titusville     1-6 (lost 42-6 to Satellite)

Viera     6-4 (lost 36-10 to Cocoa and lost 41-18 to Rockledge) 

52 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Besides Rockledge and Cocoa, these are the notable high schools playing hs football in Brevard County and their records this season.

You should put up the first quarter and halftime scores from those teams that lost to Cocoa and Rockledge. It makes it even worse

9 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Same thing happening in Polk County.  Population explosion, demographic shift, redistribution of wealth (so to speak) or diluting of talent.  I don't know how many new high schools have opened in Brevard but in Polk, the following schools have opened since my senior year in 1993:

George Jenkins (1993) - pulls from Lakeland area and north parts of Bartow.
Lake Region (1995) - pulls from Winter Haven
Ridge (2005) - pulls from Haines City
Tenoroc (2008) - pulls from Lakeland and Auburndale
Unnamed school (2021) - Will pull from Ridge and to lesser extent, Haines City.

9 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Aside from Cocoa and Rockledge, and to a much lesser extent, Satellite, Brevard teams in general were pretty mediocre this year. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Aside from Cocoa and Rockledge, and to a much lesser extent, Satellite, Brevard teams in general were pretty mediocre this year. 

Cocoa destroyed Satellite and Rockledge likely would have as well.  So Brevard has Cocoa and Rockledge and then there is a huge gap.  In another thread, Keem mentioned the disadvantage of Cocoa playing local teams.  This data makes it obvious why.  There really is no "local" competition for Rockledge and Cocoa, at least not within the county.

The thread I just did on Hillsborough shows a similar phenomenon.  To some extent, all of the more populous counties seem to experiencing the same ...a relative few "rich" schools and everyone else.

We talk about a disappearing middle class and a growing lower class in the US.  I see the same happening in hs football.  It is causing certain schools to have to travel to find competition.  The fan is enduring more blowouts.  And possibly some potential players don't come out because their school has a losing program.  As more schools come on line, I see the situation only getting worse.    

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

We talk about a disappearing middle class and a growing lower class in the US.  I see the same happening in hs football.  It is causing certain schools to have to travel to find competition.  The fan is enduring more blowouts.  And possibly some potential players don't come out because their school has a losing program.  As more schools come on line, I see the situation only getting worse.    

Bingo. On so many levels: incomes, sports, healthcare, good paying jobs (which are often too technical for the average person do do them), ... are transforming America into a much different country than it had been for well over a century prior. In this environment, some will do very, very well ... and others, not so much. 

I left those conditions behind in the third world because it leads to political and social instability. I am troubled by the fact that my adopted home seems destined to go down the same path. 

The solutions to the above are complex and transcend our current politics and, also, our private sector based businesses. I see the country being at an inflection point. The path it chooses will drive its fortunes over the 21st century. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I would rank Eau Gallie much higher than satellite 

Eau Gallie was tied 7-7 at half with Cocoa and then beat Viera and Merritt Island who was 4-0 at the time 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I would rank Eau Gallie much higher than satellite 

Eau Gallie was tied 7-7 at half with Cocoa and then beat Viera and Merritt Island who was 4-0 at the time 

The only reason Merritt Island was undefeated is because they were playing in division 2 of brevard which were space coast, Titusville, Astronaut, Holy Trinity, MCC, Satellite and Cocoa Beach.

Eau Gallie and Satellite are around the same with Eau Gallie having more athletes and Satellite being more disciplined 

11 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Palm Bay fell victim to several schools opening. Note; Palm Bay is ranked #1 for wrestling and looks strong for the next few years.

Eau Gallie has had athletes but lacked coaching.

Merritt Island pushes for Baseball now, but can put up a good game but again, coaching is the issue in my opinion.

Rockledge and Cocoa Fight over talent that transfers for football.

Most of the problems with the other schools... administration pushes sports aside. Edgewater and Westshorewould be 2A but do not have football, baseball or basketball.  

Hillsborough County still has multiple competitive teams but there is no real middle ground outside of a few teams. You're either very good or very bad.

Way things broke this year. I'm lumping in how teams did regardless of class. Private schools have asterisk.

Contenders to Very Good in their class:

B-Dale 

Armwood

Tech 

Gaither 

*Jesuit 

*TC 

*Berkeley 

Hillsborough

Newsome 

*Seffner Christian

Middle of the Road:

Chamberlain 

Plant City 

Jefferson

Wharton 

Steinbrenner

Sumner

*CDS 

*Cambridge

Not Good:

Plant 

Robinson (by end of year due to attrition after good start) 

Alonso

Blake 

Middleton 

Spoto 

Sickles 

Leto 

Strawberry Crest 

Brandon  

Riverview 

Durant 

East Bay 

King  

Lennard

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

Hillsborough County still has multiple competitive teams but there is no real middle ground outside of a few teams. You're either very good or very bad.

What happened to Spoto? Several years ago when they were a new school, they had quite a bit of talent. I saw them come to Orlando for a bowl game series and they put the beatdown on some of our area teams. 

20 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

I don't know how many new high schools have opened in Brevard

In Brevard Viera is the newest school which opened my sophomore year in 06 which pulls from Rockledge, Eau Gallie and Melbourne.

Heritage pulls from Bayside and Palm Bay

Bayside pulls from Palm Bay

And when Space Coast became a junior/senior high they pulled from Cocoa and Titusville. Honestly if Space Coast didn't add 9-12 then Cocoa and Titusville would've had some great quaterbacks

30 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

In Brevard Viera is the newest school which opened my sophomore year in 06 which pulls from Rockledge, Eau Gallie and Melbourne.

Heritage pulls from Bayside and Palm Bay

Bayside pulls from Palm Bay

And when Space Coast became a junior/senior high they pulled from Cocoa and Titusville. Honestly if Space Coast didn't add 9-12 then Cocoa and Titusville would've had some great quaterbacks

So Space Coast pulls students from Cocoa and Cocoa pulls football players from Space Coast.  Have I got that right?

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

So Space Coast pulls students from Cocoa and Cocoa pulls football players from Space Coast.  Have I got that right?

Technically Cocoa and Rockledge pulls from Space Coast lmao. But all jokes aside Space Coast jr/Sr high is in port st john which is a municipality of Cocoa. But honestly whenever players transfer in others transfer out so they won't have to compete for their spot. Using this season for example.....Cocoa and Rockledge got transfers and they had players transfer out to Palm Bay, Holy Trinity, Viera and Eau Gallie. Bayside had players transfer out to Melbourne. Heritage had players transfer to Palm Bay.

1 minute ago, KeemD321 said:

Technically Cocoa and Rockledge pulls from Space Coast lmao. But all jokes aside Space Coast jr/Sr high is in port st john which is a municipality of Cocoa. But honestly whenever players transfer in others transfer out so they won't have to compete for their spot. Using this season for example.....Cocoa and Rockledge got transfers and they had players transfer out to Palm Bay, Holy Trinity, Viera and Eau Gallie. Bayside had players transfer out to Melbourne. Heritage had players transfer to Palm Bay.

Based upon Palm Bay's 1-7 record, would I be safe to assume they did not get any 4-star transfers?

8 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

I would like to thank my coaches and teammates at Cocoa, but after careful deliberation with my family, I have decided it is time for me to move on to Palm Bay.  God Bless and please don't hate me..

The 5 People You Meet in Beaver Stadium

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Based upon Palm Bay's 1-7 record, would I be safe to assume they did not get any 4-star transfers?

Palm Bay actually has a few rated players including one of the top underclassmen D-Linemen in the state. To me their downfall is their coaching. They're HC was OC at MCC and he brought over a bunch of those guys and players and it shows.

1 minute ago, KeemD321 said:

Palm Bay actually has a few rated players including one of the top underclassmen D-Linemen in the state. To me their downfall is their coaching. They're HC was OC at MCC and he brought over a bunch of those guys and players and it shows.

Aren't coaches supposed to go from private to public schools and bring their players with them?