Who Is This Central FL Team? Wharton

OldSchoolLion

• OldSchoolLion changed the title to Who Is This Central FL Team?

Wharton who lost to Pompano Beach Ely.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2002-12-13-0212130020-story.html

Four years ago, both coaches took over hapless programs. Ely was 0-10 in Davis' first season in 1998. Wharton was 1-9 that same year under Wood, who was promoted from defensive coordinator when coach Dan Acosta quit after the first game.

Today, each will lead 13-1 teams onto the field at Doak Campbell Stadium, both having achieved success predicated on two basic principles: a physical rushing attack and a dominant defense.

Unlike Ely, which reached the state semifinal in Davis' second season, Wharton's meteoric rise didn't come until this fall, the school's sixth year of existence. The Wildcats' record the past five seasons: 1-9, 1-9, 2-8, 2-8, 4-6.

"We were terrible," Wood said. "Weak, slow, didn't know what to do, didn't know how to get better, didn't believe in themselves, didn't believe they could win."

4 hours ago, Tisfreefl said:

Wharton who lost to Pompano Beach Ely.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2002-12-13-0212130020-story.html

Four years ago, both coaches took over hapless programs. Ely was 0-10 in Davis' first season in 1998. Wharton was 1-9 that same year under Wood, who was promoted from defensive coordinator when coach Dan Acosta quit after the first game.

Today, each will lead 13-1 teams onto the field at Doak Campbell Stadium, both having achieved success predicated on two basic principles: a physical rushing attack and a dominant defense.

Unlike Ely, which reached the state semifinal in Davis' second season, Wharton's meteoric rise didn't come until this fall, the school's sixth year of existence. The Wildcats' record the past five seasons: 1-9, 1-9, 2-8, 2-8, 4-6.

"We were terrible," Wood said. "Weak, slow, didn't know what to do, didn't know how to get better, didn't believe in themselves, didn't believe they could win."

It is Wharton.  Very good!  What they did is very rare in modern times.  Most newer programs wait many years, if ever, to make a state final.       

• OldSchoolLion changed the title to Who Is This Central FL Team? Wharton
28 minutes ago, Tisfreefl said:

Bloomingdale has been open since the mid 80’s and used to be a doormat program. They host STA in their first matchup ever for their first opportunity at a state final appearance. This is the furthest they’ve gone in the playoffs.

I remember those doormat days.  It's amazing to think that some of today's doormats might be a powerhouse in the 2050's.  

6 hours ago, 181pl said:

Tampa Wharton.

Never been colder at a football game in my life then the 2002 semi-final at Wharton. They had a very solid team with a big powerful running back. Followed them the next week to Tallahassee for the Finals. RB Tyrone Moss (Pompano Beach Ely, Miami Hurricanes) was just to strong and ended their fairy tale season.

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I remember those doormat days.  It's amazing to think that some of today's doormats might be a powerhouse in the 2050's.  

One of the best high school teams I remember was 1994-1995 Bradenton Southeast. So much talent. Their only loss in 1994 was 15-10 to Sarasota Rigerview while Peter Warrick, their star QB, was out after having hernia surgery. They were USAToday #1. They could have won a national championship of not for the hernia. They beat Dante Culpepper and Ocala Vanguard 19-17 in the state final. Someone actually put the game tape up on YouTube. It’s not hard to find.

Santa Ana Mater Dei ended up finishing #1 in USAToday that year for Bruce Rollin son’s first natty.

George Smith was the athletic director but not coach at STA when Southeast beat STA 28-14 in the playoffs that year (1994) and he commented that Southeast was the most talented team he had ever seen up to that point. I mean, they were HUGE. Hazelle Stoudemire (Amare’s brother) was on the State Championship basketball team (34-0). Imagine that he could have played O-like or D-line if he played football. They were so big, so fast, so powerful, so nasty, and so talented. They just dominated when they were on. Manatee also had some great teams and #1 nationally ranked teams but IMG owns Bradenton now.

6 hours ago, Tisfreefl said:

One of the best high school teams I remember was 1994-1995 Bradenton Southeast. So much talent. Their only loss in 1994 was 15-10 to Sarasota Rigerview while Peter Warrick, their star QB, was out after having hernia surgery. They were USAToday #1. They could have won a national championship of not for the hernia. They beat Dante Culpepper and Ocala Vanguard 19-17 in the state final. Someone actually put the game tape up on YouTube. It’s not hard to find.

Santa Ana Mater Dei ended up finishing #1 in USAToday that year for Bruce Rollin son’s first natty.

George Smith was the athletic director but not coach at STA when Southeast beat STA 28-14 in the playoffs that year (1994) and he commented that Southeast was the most talented team he had ever seen up to that point. I mean, they were HUGE. Hazelle Stoudemire (Amare’s brother) was on the State Championship basketball team (34-0). Imagine that he could have played O-like or D-line if he played football. They were so big, so fast, so powerful, so nasty, and so talented. They just dominated when they were on. Manatee also had some great teams and #1 nationally ranked teams but IMG owns Bradenton now.

Saw that game in Daytona (Vanguard/Southeast). Where you there Tisfreefl ?