The Greatest State Championship Team Ever

OldSchoolLion

Oh boy, I might get in trouble for this one.  Not that anyone out there might have strong opinions.:rolleyes:

To get to the final, this team had to shut down an All-American rb and beat an undefeated team many folks thought was the best team in the state, all-classifications.  Fortunately for them, they had their own All-American player to assist with that task.  During the season, this team gave gave up less than 10 points per game, on average, including numerous shutouts against quality teams.  In the title game, they held their opponent to under 100 yards of total offense and won the game without completing a pass.  The classification for which they won the title is arguably one of the most brutal in FHSAA history.

Who is the team?  What hs All-American played on this state championship team?

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Oh boy, I might get in trouble for this one.  Not that anyone out there might have strong opinions.:rolleyes:

To get to the final, this team had to shut down an All-American rb and beat an undefeated team many folks thought was the best team in the state, all-classifications.  Fortunately for them, they had their own All-American player to assist with that task.  During the season, this team gave gave up less than 10 points per game, on average, including numerous shutouts against quality teams.  In the title game, they held their opponent to under 100 yards of total offense and won the game without completing a pass.  The classification for which they won the title is arguably one of the most brutal in FHSAA history.

Who is the team?  What hs All-American played on this state championship team?

This has got to be from the 1990s or prior!:)

Best state champs by decade IMHO:

Coral Gables Cavaliers 1967

Merritt Island Mustangs 1979. More of an overall achievement award, winning 3 titles in a decade where regular season and playoffs were always very competitive.

Manatee Hurricanes 1983

Southridge Spartans 1993

Lakeland Dreadnaughts 2005

STA Raiders 2011

2000s are tough bc so many great squads between Armwood, Lakeland, Plant, STA, MNW, and Booker T. 

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

Merritt Island Mustangs 1979. More of an overall achievement award, winning 3 titles in a decade where regular season and playoffs were always very competitive.

Manatee Hurricanes 1983

Southridge Spartans 1993

STA Raiders 2011

2000s are tough bc so many great squads between Armwood, Lakeland, Plant, STA, MNW, and Booker T. 

Nice selections

Pensacola Washington 1994? I know they had a crazy good defense and beat defending champion Southridge in the final and snapped their 29 game winning streak. They also defeated Columbia, Mainland, Riverview (who beat USA Today #1 Southeast and where undefeated) and Manatee. I believe 3 of those teams were nationally ranked (Riverview, Manatee, and Southridge) and they were the underdog in all of them. Also, the previous year I think they were 1-9? So it was definitely a Cinderella story. Not sure if this is the right answer lol

12 hours ago, 181pl said:

Manatee Hurricanes 1983

Southridge Spartans 1993

STA Raiders 2011

I don’t know. Many on national boards have debated if 2008 STA might be the greatest HS football team ever.

2004 Lakeland was more dominant than 2005. 2006 MNW was more dominant than 2007 MNW. 2008 STA just peaked with most of their stars as seniors and just absolutely dominated everyone. 2005 Lakeland and 2007 MNW had some scares.

11 hours ago, Tisfreefl said:

I don’t know. Many on national boards have debated if 2008 STA might be the greatest HS football team ever.

2004 Lakeland was more dominant than 2005. 2006 MNW was more dominant than 2007 MNW. 2008 STA just peaked with most of their stars as seniors and just absolutely dominated everyone. 2005 Lakeland and 2007 MNW had some scares.

You're one year off. 2005 was more dominant than 2006. The 2004 team isn't really in the mix as it lost a kickoff classic to Lake Gibson, when both teams played to win and it was live on TV.

11 hours ago, Tisfreefl said:

1 minute ago, skyway said:

You're one year off. 2005 was more dominant than 2006. The 2004 team isn't really in the mix as it lost a kickoff classic to Lake Gibson, when both teams played to win and it was live on TV.

You beat me to it.  2005 was a beast especially defensively.  

1 hour ago, skyway said:

Doh! You're right! 2005 was an AMAZING team. Them, 2006 MNW, and 2008 STA were monsters. Would have loved to see it all happen in the same class in the same year : )

12 hours ago, Tisfreefl said:

Saw all these teams close up. Was on sidelines for the epic beat down of L in 2008. My top 3 are 2005 L, 2006 MNW and 2008 STA. But I think you have to recognize Lakeland winning three in a row and a super tough class again St thomas, and I think that 05 team was the best of the three.

Looking further into that 2013 BTW team, I think they'd get the nod for best ever. I'd put them over 2008 STA. Check out who they beat, and by how much on maxpreps. They beat three state champions, none of those games were home games, all by double digits. And Central was absolutely dominant throughout the rest of their schedule, which also included a blowout of another state champion (AH).