Thoughts on the Orlando Area's Team That Have Made the Finals

DarterBlue2

Last year, three Orlando area teams made the state title games, all from Orange County, This year, they are four. However, despite the increase in teams, the area only has a shot at three titles, as in 8A, it's a Greater Orlando affair. Teams from the home of the mouse are: 8A - Osceola and Seminole, 7A - Edgewater, and 6A Lake Minneola. Of the four teams, Lake Mineola represents the biggest surprise, at least to those unfamiliar with the program. Below, I share a few comments on the games each of these teams will be playing.

8A Osceola vs Seminole. For the first time ever, two Orlando area teams square off in a State Championship game. I believe this is the first time this has ever been possible, as in more recent years, Orlando area teams have been split between Regions 1 and 2. Thus, the best one could hope for would be a guaranteed spot in the finals. Had it not been for Covid-19, the same would have applied this year. However, due to Palm Beach and Broward Counties not allowing their public schools to participate in the playoffs this year, we ended up with the unique situation where Regions 1, 2, 3, and 4 all had Orlando area teams. This led to three of the four semifinalists being from the area, setting up an all, Orlando final.

Of the two schools, Seminole is the favorite. However, I believe this could be a highly competitive game. Both of these schools have won state titles before. Seminole has done so from its only appearance in 2008, when they came back from a 21 point deficit to score 28 unanswered points against the storied Miami Northwestern Bulls. That game featured a Sophomore starting QB for the Bulls named Teddy Bridgewater, and on the first play from scrimmage, he threw a touchdown pass. Unfortunately for the team from 71st street, its early successes ended in disappointment when deep in fourth quarter, Andre Dubois, Seminole's track and football star, out jumped the Bulls' Cornerback to bring down a spectacular touchdown, giving Seminole their first lead of the game. This year's Seminole team is not as good defensively as that one was. However, led by four year starter, Timmy McClain (touchdown Timmy), and a quartet of solid receivers, the offense is, in my opinion, better than that of the 2008 team. Seminole combines this great passing game with a more than adequate running game. While there is no one, feature back, there are at least three individuals that can carry the ball effectively. This array of skill talent on the offensive side of the ball, keeps the offense fresh for four quarters. 

Unlike Seminole, Osceola is not stronger on one side of the ball relative to the other. The team has a strong offense led by IMG's former backup QB, Chad Mascoe, who is very good with both his arm and legs. The running game and offensive lines also appear to be solid. On defense, I have been particularly impressed with the strength of Osceola's secondary, which has had several interceptions over the course of the season, including two nice ones against Miami Palmetto at Traz Powell. I have watched Osceola video only twice this year (Vero Beach and Miami Palmetto). In the VB game, the QB appeared to have been injured sometime in the second quarter of the game, and this cost Osceola greatly in the second half, transforming what had been a competitive game into a VB blowout. Osceola's triumph over Palmetto seems to bear this out. 

In the end, I think Seminole's more experienced team pulls this game out. I think the margin of victory will be around 10 points. However, I could see anything from a 20 point Seminole victory to a 13 point Osceola victory. From looking at Osceola's roster, a majority of the starters return next year. So, if they fail this year, they will be a live contender next year as well. Seminole, on the other hand, graduates a lot of its talent including its QB. 

7A St Thomas Aquinas vs Edgewater: This is a rematch of a thrilling 2019 final when the outcome came down to an interception in the end zone with seconds on the clock. St. Thomas won by 5 points holding off a furious, late 4th quarter rally by Edgewater. The biggest losses to Edgewater this year were the graduation of its stellar running back Isiah Conley as well as key components of its offensive line. Other than that, most of the key elements of the team are back for their senior season. I have watched the following Edgewater game videos: Niceville (full game); Mitchell (just under a half); Osceola (a quarter); Viera (a quarter); and, IMG, (three quarters). At times the team has looked dominant, and at other times, somewhat ragged. Edgewater had three games from its regular season cancelled due to Covid-19. In addition, St. Cloud forfeited its playoff game to Edgewater for the same reason. Perhaps, this has contributed to uneven play I have seen from the team in the video I have watched. I have watched Aquinas's games against Venice and Bloomingdale in full. Here are my thoughts. Edgewater has the talent to go toe to toe with this Aquinas team, which I regard as very good, but not unbeatable (probably on par with last year). However, if it is to do so, it needs to not give up stupid penalties. Keep the penalties down to the strategic ones and any questionable ones that may be thrown against them, and 90% of the raggedness will disappear. The strength of this Aquinas team seems to lie in its offensive and defensive lines and its punting and kicking games. In these three areas, this team is superior to 99% of all high school football teams playing in the USA. On the skill side of the ledger, they are not lacking for talent either, but I feel that Edgewater is just as good, if not as deep. If Edgewater can start out strong like it did last year, I believe it will win. The key will be to make all critical defensive stops and not tire the defense out late in the game. Several key elements of the D also play on offense, and it is important to remain fresh for all four quarters. 

Yes, Edgewater is the underdog. However, I am going to go out on a limb and say they win their first state title this year. I believe the margin of victory will be by a touchdown or less, but the win will be just as sweet for the Eagles as if it were a blowout. I was in Tallahassee in December 2002 when Edgewater almost snatched victory from the jaws of defeat via Derrick Shirm and Mike Walker in a magical drive, only to surrender it a couple plays later when Robert Spence, the Norland QB found an open receiver who up to that point had never had a touchdown, forty five yards downfield with seconds on the clock. Well, you are back in Tally and it is time to erase that loss from Eagle memory. 

6A Miami Central vs Lake Minneola: Quietly but inexorably, over the past five years,LM's coaching staff led by Walter Banks, have been building a solid program. It has culminated this year with a trip to the state title game. I have watched LM against St. Augustine, full game; Gaither, three quarters; and Largo, a half. While the QB has a decent arm and there are receivers that can catch the ball, the offensive strength of the team is its running game, led by the QB and the running back # 5. Between the two, they have the ability to amass a lot of yards and points. Unfortunately, their first trip to state is against Miami Central. Against Palmetto, they look as good running the football as they did last year. And, their passing game is improved as the new, sophomore QB (Carol City transfer) has a good arm and can also take off running. I wish I could say that Minneola's Cinderella story ends in victory. But I can't, as I am a realist. With that said, I expect Lake Minneola to put at least two touchdowns on the board and give the Rockets early trouble. Unfortunately, I think the Rockets will have too many weapons and will pull out their umpteenth title win in the 21st century. I am going to pick them by 17 points. I hope the Hawks prove me wrong. This is one time I would like to have egg in my face.           

Offensively, OHS needs the deep ball production of sophomore receiver Ja'Keem Jackson as he has been out the past several weeks with what appeared to be a separated shoulder.  Don't know his status, but do know that he was instrumental in us going toe to toe with Edgewater earlier this year.  A game we were in position to win with under a minute on the clock.  That deep threat helps the running game and gives you the chunk plays you need to be competitive with an offense like Seminole has.  Hopefully he will be available and give us that element.   STA will always be a challenge for any team in this state as will Central,  but will be rooting for the locals.

13 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

6A Miami Central vs Lake Minneola:

It's too bad that QB Braden Davis went down with injuries for LM. That kid is the TRUTH. LM has gotten solid QB play from their backup, and I think this game might be closer than some might think, but I might have picked LM in this game if Davis were healthy.

By the way, Chad Mascoe Sr. played multiple positions for the OHS state championship team and was one of the most versatile players I have ever seen both on offense and defense.  He would get moved from DE to LB to safety even tight end in the semifinals vs Gainesville.  Due to our star running back Willie Green being dinged up they played him at running back during the finals and he did great.  His son was born here and spent his early childhood here before moving to Thomasville GA. as a teen.  To complete the circle, that is how he ended up at Osceola from IMG Academy.   Once a Kowboy, always a Kowboy.

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

By the way, Chad Mascoe Sr. played multiple positions for the OHS state championship team and was one of the most versatile players I have ever seen both on offense and defense.  He would get moved from DE to LB to safety even tight end in the semifinals vs Gainesville.  Due to our star running back Willie Green being dinged up they played him at running back during the finals and he did great.  His son was born here and spent his early childhood here before moving to Thomasville GA. as a teen.  To complete the circle, that is how he ended up at Osceola from IMG Academy.   Once a Kowboy, always a Kowboy.

I am glad he returned to his roots. Very nice of you to post the above. 

I don't think Edgewater has a shot. For whatever reason, Jones blew out Edgewater and Jones was beaten pretty soundly by Jesuit. I would think that unless Edgewater is vastly improved since that game, STA wins by at least 21.

I love Minneola, but they have to keep scoring the whole game or Central will win. Tough to do against the Central D. I'll go out on a limb and pick Minneola 27-24.

Seminole looks like the class of 8A. They seem to have a better O than Osceola. I'd like to see Osceola win, but I'll pick Seminole 30-17.

18 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I don't think Edgewater has a shot. For whatever reason, Jones blew out Edgewater and Jones was beaten pretty soundly by Jesuit. I would think that unless Edgewater is vastly improved since that game, STA wins by at least 21.

I love Minneola, but they have to keep scoring the whole game or Central will win. Tough to do against the Central D. I'll go out on a limb and pick Minneola 27-24.

Seminole looks like the class of 8A. They seem to have a better O than Osceola. I'd like to see Osceola win, but I'll pick Seminole 30-17.

Edgewater has had an up and down season. You can't look at individual games. If they play their best game and minimize penalties it should be close like last year. They still have most of last year's skill players and they want revenge. Going up to Niceville and winning is not an easy task. They won despite shooting themselves in the foot several times during the game. I stand by them putting up a good showing. We will see if I am correct Saturday night. 

On 12/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

Unfortunately, I think the Rockets will have too many weapons and will pull out their umpteenth title win in the 21st century. I am going to pick them by 17 points. I hope the Hawks prove me wrong. This is one time I would like to have egg in my face.           

I don't know, Darter.  I could easily see Central being up 32-0 in the second quarter.   B)

44 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Well that didn't work out too well. Lol. Minneola was probably shell shocked. They're much better than they showed

It reminded me somewhat of the Boone/Miami Northwestern game in 2007. When you are at a physical disadvantage, you should not compound the problem by making silly mistakes.

First effort. I think next time they will do better. Last year was the first time they made the playoffs and this year they got to the finals. 

Our local "expert" for the Orlando Sentinel has made his predictions for the 4 teams from central Florida.  He has picked Lake Minneola, Edgewater and Seminole, with Seminole being the only one ranked first in their division.  Let's see how that works out as we already know unfortunately for LM it wasn't even close.

14 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Our local "expert" for the Orlando Sentinel has made his predictions for the 4 teams from central Florida.  He has picked Lake Minneola, Edgewater and Seminole, with Seminole being the only one ranked first in their division.  Let's see how that works out as we already know unfortunately for LM it wasn't even close.

For those of us from Central Florida, we're making picks with our hearts in the finals. Lake Minneola was always a long shot, but they had a great season. There are very few 6A schools in Central Florida, so I didn't really follow them through the season except when they played Orlando schools. Edgewater, Seminole, and Osceola gat more coverage here in Orlando.

Seminole deserved to win, they were favored and had playoff experience on the field as well as the athletes. Turnovers were a killer, but a great learning experience as they never expected to advance this deep in the playoffs this year.  Expectation was to make this kind of a run next year as they returned the entire backfield, all but one of the receivers and the bulk of the defense.  Hats off to Seminole for meeting expectations.

24 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Seminole deserved to win, they were favored and had playoff experience on the field as well as the athletes. Turnovers were a killer, but a great learning experience as they never expected to advance this deep in the playoffs this year.  Expectation was to make this kind of a run next year as they returned the entire backfield, all but one of the receivers and the bulk of the defense.  Hats off to Seminole for meeting expectations.

Too many fumbles and interceptions to beat a very good Seminole team. Game should have been closer, but the better team this year won. If you can replace your offensive line with solid kids, the offense is going to be very good next year and will be hard to stop. 

For the second game in two years, Edgewater gave St. Thomas Aquinas everything they could handle but came up short. In the end a few errors may have cost them the game. 

Still, nothing to be ashamed of Eagles. You played your hearts out and proved you were every inch as good as Aquinas, silencing the doubters for the second year in a row. 

To the graduating senior class, you have set the bar high for future Eagles teams. I wish you all success at the next level for those continuing to play, and in life for those that hang up their cleats. 

I wish the Apopka vs Edgewater rivalry could be restored. It used to be the best game in Central Florida. 

56 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

For the second game in two years, Edgewater gave St. Thomas Aquinas everything they could handle but came up short. In the end a few errors may have cost them the game. 

Still, nothing to be ashamed of Eagles. You played your hearts out and proved you were every inch as good as Aquinas, silencing the doubters for the second year in a row. 

To the graduating senior class, you have set the bar high for future Eagles teams. I wish you all success at the next level for those continuing to play, and in life for those that hang up their cleats. 

I wish the Apopka vs Edgewater rivalry could be restored. It used to be the best game in Central Florida. 

The energy and drive was there, but the turnovers man, they killed us. But hey it's all good like you said, not a lot of schools can have such a close game in the finals against a team like sta. I would like to say we'll have another finals appearance but with majority of the skill heading out, we're either going to need some really good transfers or a big leap in field discipline and fundamentals.

6 minutes ago, EagleEye said:

The energy and drive was there, but the turnovers man, they killed us. But hey it's all good like you said, not a lot of schools can have such a close game in the finals against a team like sta. I would like to say we'll have another finals appearance but with majority of the skill heading out, we're either going to need some really good transfers or a big leap in field discipline and fundamentals.

Good programs usually have a way of replenishing themselves. Yes, I realize there are big shoes to fill and next year could be transitional. But if the current staff stays in place, I am sure the Eagles will continue at or near their current standard. 

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Good programs usually have a way of replenishing themselves. Yes, I realize there are big shoes to fill and next year could be transitional. But if the current staff stays in place, I am sure the Eagles will continue at or near their current standard. 

Given I attend Edgewater currently B) I have a lot of access to "inside information" from friends on the team, I'd hope so, I've heard talk about possible Wekiva/Lake Brantley transfers, we'll see about that though. Duke and the staff have completely flipped this program around from before my freshman year to now and I'm here for it.