1A Champs

s1nglewing

UMMM Jesseee said Madison County was the CHAMPS.   Congrats to Baker and Go Gators.  This is the 5th time in school history Baker has won the state title and I believe head coach Matt Brunson was apart of all 5 teams.  He was a player in 83, 84 and 85.  The defensive coordinator in 93 and the head coach in 2020.  His son is also a player on the 2020 team and the leading rusher.   

Just like old times . . . the Gators winning in Doak Campbell Stadium.  :lol:

OK, friendly jabs aside, I was always under the understanding that the FHSAA didn't want to hold football championship games in the stadium of a college team, as that might give said college team an unfair recruiting advantage.  That's the reason, for example, that UCF's centrally-located stadium was never considered as a host venue (so I've been told). Is this just a Covid-exception year? 

At the risk of sounding a little ticky-tack, if games are going to be played in a college stadium and if the college team has completed their home schedule, why wouldn't the FHSAA/host venue repaint the endzones to eliminate the reference to the college?   In other words, when I watch highlights of this year's state championship games, why do I have see "Florida State" painted in a garnet-colored endzone? 

4 hours ago, s1nglewing said:

Baker defeated Hawthorne 27-14 to cap a perfect 15-0 season.

The defensive line and #2 on offense were critical in the victory. If that kid did not have a physical handicap, he would be a high level recruit. Perhaps he can do what the Griffin kid did at UCF. We will see. He is only a sophomore, I understand, so his upside is huge. 

12 hours ago, Perspective said:

Just like old times . . . the Gators winning in Doak Campbell Stadium.  :lol:

OK, friendly jabs aside, I was always under the understanding that the FHSAA didn't want to hold football championship games in the stadium of a college team, as that might give said college team an unfair recruiting advantage.  That's the reason, for example, that UCF's centrally-located stadium was never considered as a host venue (so I've been told). Is this just a Covid-exception year? 

At the risk of sounding a little ticky-tack, if games are going to be played in a college stadium and if the college team has completed their home schedule, why wouldn't the FHSAA/host venue repaint the endzones to eliminate the reference to the college?   In other words, when I watch highlights of this year's state championship games, why do I have see "Florida State" painted in a garnet-colored endzone? 

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine having the play a state championship game on in that stadium and on that field with all of that hideous Garnet and Gold. It least we don't have to hear that horrific war chant. 

On 12/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, Yourbasement said:

Pretty cool to see. I don't think the county has had a state championship winner since the Gators won in 93. 

Felt like one of these Baker teams would eventually get over the hump. 

Fort Walton Beach was the last Okaloosa County school to win state in 1995. 

10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

That’s a damn impressive stretch from 1983-1995 for Okaloosa County. 

12 years -8 championships 

for a county with 4 teams that’s outstanding 

Yea those were some really good years for us.  Wish we could say we've all won a title, but Crestview (Okaloosa has 5 schools) hasn't.  Matt Brunson, who now coaches Baker, got them to the 3A title game in 2002 but they lost to Rockledge. 

IMO, Crestview has the potential to be the top team in the county at least in terms of population growth.  Back in those championship years Fort Walton Beach, Choctaw-Hatchee (hyphenated for those that mispronounce it as Chocta-Whatchee) were the big schools followed by Niceville then Crestview then little ole Baker.  Now it's Crestview, N'ville (7A);  FWB (6A); Choctaw (5A)   

Also, all the others have won one since Niceville did in 1988 so that pains me a little :lol:

On 12/18/2020 at 10:41 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

The defensive line and #2 on offense were critical in the victory. If that kid did not have a physical handicap, he would be a high level recruit. Perhaps he can do what the Griffin kid did at UCF. We will see. He is only a sophomore, I understand, so his upside is huge. 

I was going to post about #2, RB Kayleb Wagner.  He was clearly the MVP for Baker (12 rushes, 152 yds, 12.7 avg, 1 TD).

I live in Okaloosa county and have seen Baker highlights throughout the year on tv, but up until watching this game on livestream did not notice he had the physical disability.  They said it was congenital.  I think it's really cool he's able to accomplish what he does on the HS FB field and also hope he gets a chance at the next level.  

e5ebefaf-a546-4b09-99ef-f983c8dce85a-baker6.jpg

42 minutes ago, Rattlin Steele said:

I was going to post about #2, RB Kayleb Wagner.  He was clearly the MVP for Baker (12 rushes, 152 yds, 12.7 avg, 1 TD).

I live in Okaloosa county and have seen Baker highlights throughout the year on tv, but up until watching this game on livestream did not notice he had the physical disability.  They said it was congenital.  I think it's really cool he's able to accomplish what he does on the HS FB field and also hope he gets a chance at the next level.  

e5ebefaf-a546-4b09-99ef-f983c8dce85a-baker6.jpg

He runs with a fair amount of both power and speed, can make the quick cut, and has good instincts. He is the kind of kid, I would be inclined to take a chance on. Since he is young, he will likely get stronger and possibly faster over the next two years. 

On 12/21/2020 at 7:51 PM, Rattlin Steele said:

Yea those were some really good years for us.  Wish we could say we've all won a title, but Crestview (Okaloosa has 5 schools) hasn't.  Matt Brunson, who now coaches Baker, got them to the 3A title game in 2002 but they lost to Rockledge. 

IMO, Crestview has the potential to be the top team in the county at least in terms of population growth.  Back in those championship years Fort Walton Beach, Choctaw-Hatchee (hyphenated for those that mispronounce it as Chocta-Whatchee) were the big schools followed by Niceville then Crestview then little ole Baker.  Now it's Crestview, N'ville (7A);  FWB (6A); Choctaw (5A)   

Also, all the others have won one since Niceville did in 1988 so that pains me a little :lol:

I have the complete game result history for Niceville, Choctaw and Fort Walton Beach. Crestview is semi complete but they go back to the 30’s so those early years are tough to come by. Baker too. Almost got them compete other than some early years in the 40’s

Fort Walton Beach opened in 1969 after a hiatus. Before that they were called the Fort Walton High Blue Devils!!! 

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I have the complete game result history for Niceville, Choctaw and Fort Walton Beach. Crestview is semi complete but they go back to the 30’s so those early years are tough to come by. Baker too. Almost got them compete other than some early years in the 40’s

Fort Walton Beach opened in 1969 after a hiatus. Before that they were called the Fort Walton High Blue Devils!!! 

That's pretty cool.  I'd love to see that info.  I graduated Niceville in 76.  I'd always heard that Niceville was the first high school (at site of current Edge elementary) then Choctaw opened at some point (at current site of Meigs JHS) and Niceville was shutdown at that time only to be reopened later at it's current site.  Choctaw was moved once a new building was built at it's current location and FWB opened later.  I could've sworn FWB opened around the time I started HS.  Don't know the years for the above and sounds like what I heard just applied to the south county.  I didn't know Crestview/Baker went back that far.  I remember my dad played at Pensacola Tate in the late 50's and he had mentioned playing Niceville for sure and I think Choctaw, but never mentioned Crestview.  

21 minutes ago, Rattlin Steele said:

That's pretty cool.  I'd love to see that info.  I graduated Niceville in 76.  I'd always heard that Niceville was the first high school (at site of current Edge elementary) then Choctaw opened at some point (at current site of Meigs JHS) and Niceville was shutdown at that time only to be reopened later at it's current site.  Choctaw was moved once a new building was built at it's current location and FWB opened later.  I could've sworn FWB opened around the time I started HS.  Don't know the years for the above and sounds like what I heard just applied to the south county.  I didn't know Crestview/Baker went back that far.  I remember my dad played at Pensacola Tate in the late 50's and he had mentioned playing Niceville for sure and I think Choctaw, but never mentioned Crestview.  

Crestview is the oldest team in the county. By about 15 years or so. When I get a minute I will pull out the info that I got

I have the complete history for Niceville, Choctaw, Ft Walton Beach and Rocky Bayou. 

missing years for the other teams....

Crestview 1930-1954. I have 1955-2020 complete. 

Ft Walton 1947-1950. I have some results for these years and complete 1951. These are the only years for football there 

Baker I need 1948-1953, 1955-59, 61-66. I have 1967-2020 complete