playoff/state champs for indepedent schools

gino sandora

next year my son will be playing at a school that's in the independent classification 

Does Florida have an Independent State Champion for football or other sports? a playoff system ?

If not, what are the reasons for not having a state champ for non district schools? 

Thanks

next year my son will be playing at a school that's in the independent classification 

Does Florida have an Independent State Champion for football or other sports? a playoff system ?

If not, what are the reasons for not having a state champ for non district schools? 

Thanks

The main reason is the FHSAA wont allow it, but that may change in the future with the department of education putting the heat on the FHSAA. It's really kind of stupid on the FHSAA part if you ask me but they are the ones that caused all this mess to start with so guess they are reaping what that have sewn 

why are their even schools that are independent to begin with?

Because most of them are on the smaller side as far as enrollment, Schools like Oakhall and St Francis in Gainesville or Ocala st Johns don't recruit or give special rates to student who can play football. So they go independent and play other independent schools that are like them. Schools like Oakhall cant play with with schools like Trinity christian or NFC in Tallahassee.  There are over 70 independent now that play football so if this thing with FHSAA goes through look for another class to be added to accommodate the small private schools or at least let them have there on championship play off format with out the FHSAA saying that they cant.

I just dont understand why the FHSAA wont allow them to have there on playoff format and crown a state champion, how can it harm the FHSAA ?  

I don't know with independents, but I feel those private schools like trinity Christian should be in a separate playoffs, since the rules between private and public schools are different, so they should not be in same playoff braket, mabey make 1 and 2 A private schools then 3 and 4 A for all small public schools and 5A up for larger public schools

I will probably get rocks thrown at me for saying this but i think the state of Florida needs 10 classifications. Some folks think we have to many all ready and are calling it a watered down product.

Here is how i think it should be

1A Public Rural

2A Public Rural

3A smaller Private only ( No public schools allowed this should be made up from the independent schools, and or private schools that do not offer reduced enrollment )

4A Large Private only (no public schools allowed) 

5A Public

6A Public

7A Public

8A Public

9A Public 

10A Open class anything goes including IMG No limit on enrollment or recruiting. 

Each class 6A through 9A would have 64 teams or less the way i am thinking depending on how may wanted to join the 10A open class.  For this to be a viable solution we would have to convince at least 60 of the independent teams to come in and play in a district that they can compete in. 10 Champions crowned over 2 weekends with 5 games played on Friday and Saturday of each weekend, The FHSAA could sell tickets by the day rather than by the game, More people would come  it would also create more enthusiasm state wide. More participation equals more ass's in the seats on Friday nights.