prep schools vs jc or 4 year

Beek

I have a question. I know I could spend hours researching this, but I am sure that there are people her with great opinions and insites to this topic.  

I have a player who will not qualify for any 4 year institution. He is a 2.0 750sat kid. Big body, good d lineman, but lacks real effort some of the time. Calling it what it is. he is a "0" tech. His mother contacted me about him going to a prep school. They want $$,  money on signing , money for roster spot!  is this the norm?  I truly want to advise the parent on what would be correct for them and their financial position. I dont want them to get taken for money, they cant afford it. takes food off the table. My biggest concern is if the prep school will force him to improve his sat and gpa so he can compete academically in a true 4 year instatution. I understand it takes effort on his part. but I have to start somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Beek said:

I have a question. I know I could spend hours researching this, but I am sure that there are people her with great opinions and insites to this topic.  

I have a player who will not qualify for any 4 year institution. He is a 2.0 750sat kid. Big body, good d lineman, but lacks real effort some of the time. Calling it what it is. he is a "0" tech. His mother contacted me about him going to a prep school. They want $$,  money on signing , money for roster spot!  is this the norm?  I truly want to advise the parent on what would be correct for them and their financial position. I dont want them to get taken for money, they cant afford it. takes food off the table. My biggest concern is if the prep school will force him to improve his sat and gpa so he can compete academically in a true 4 year instatution. I understand it takes effort on his part. but I have to start somewhere. 

He will end up at a JUCO after the Prep school because they will not be able to bring his grades and SAT up that much to get him to qualify.  However maybe he will grow up at the Prep school and that could prepare him for college.  If he does then the money is worth it.  If not they wasted a lot of money.  I would be upfront with the family and let them know that most likely he would be going to a JUCO after prep school either way.  

• 2 months later...

Against my advisement the parent and player will pay a lot of money so the kid can play Prep football. No matter what I said they thought the scholarhip offered by the prep school was  a better offer than having to pay a little more and attend a real school.  Thanks for the advice

11 hours ago, Beek said:

Against my advisement the parent and player will pay a lot of money so the kid can play Prep football. No matter what I said they thought the scholarhip offered by the prep school was  a better offer than having to pay a little more and attend a real school.  Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the update - will be interesting to see come the holidays how the next chapter of the situation plays out ....