When will HS Sports be normal again ?

SubZero

1 hour ago, SubZero said:

Does anyone when will it be safe to see sell-out crowds. I hear that most people will be vaccined by May or June. I just want to know when 10 game full schedules will be back, and when we'll see packed stadiums again. 

@gatorman-uf

@Joshua Wilson

@DarterBlue2

If enough people are willing to get vaccinated, then I think by football season, they will allow at least 50% capacity. But we need at least 80% of Americans to take the vaccine. Any less than that, and we run the risk of having another wave of Covid-19 in the fall which would badly damage the season. 

I was an optimistic fool who thought that we would be at full capacity last fall. @DarterBlue2doubted it, He was right, I was wrong. Honestly, I think by the end of June, everyone who wants a shot will have a shot. I think the problem is that there are a whole bunch of people who don't believe the virus isn't that bad, so they won't get the shot. Or they are young and want children and are afraid that the shot might prevent pregnancy.

6 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I was an optimistic fool who thought that we would be at full capacity last fall. @DarterBlue2doubted it, He was right, I was wrong. Honestly, I think by the end of June, everyone who wants a shot will have a shot. I think the problem is that there are a whole bunch of people who don't believe the virus isn't that bad, so they won't get the shot. Or they are young and want children and are afraid that the shot might prevent pregnancy.

I think I made the comment that football would get special treatment that the spring sports wouldn't get and I think in some ways the state of Kentucky actually proved me right as they actually gave Football athletes extended eligibility a few weeks back even though they didn't have their season cancelled and simply had their season shortened, though as predictable as it was, Spring sports weren't given the same fair treatment 

people suggested the same should have been done in Florida and I would be okay with that, only after they chose to rightfully reimburse the season they screwed the spring athletes out of last season

the numbers during the football season was far worse than it was at any point during the spring and the spring sports are easier to handle social distancing for 

though I know the only reason football got that special treatment was because it generates more money and that's the only sport that the people running this state care about

you wont see the governor at any softball or baseball games but it will make front page that he threw out the coin toss at a high school football game. They make it clear that they see no value in any athlete who isn't a football player. The state and each individual school district make that clear with their actions. 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

the numbers during the football season was far worse than it was at any point during the spring and the spring sports are easier to handle social distancing for 

though I know the only reason football got that special treatment was because it generates more money and that's the only sport that the people running this state care about

you wont see the governor at any softball or baseball games but it will make front page that he threw out the coin toss at a high school football game. They make it clear that they see no value in any athlete who isn't a football player. The state and each individual school district make that clear with their actions. 

Whats up ColumbiaHighFan2017class. 

18 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Florida was one of the few states where most sporting events were not cancelled. The Governor did not cancel anything. If individual schools or counties cancelled their season then that is not on the Governor. My team OTC had a full season and even went to the 3rd round of the playoffs. A few other states, including New York where I grew up, had everything shutdown not just sports. And, possibly will have this coming season shutdown. Please give our Governor credit for keeping Florida open and continuing to keep Florida open.

1 minute ago, Proseteye said:

Florida was one of the few states where most sporting events were not cancelled. The Governor did not cancel anything. If individual schools or counties cancelled their season then that is not on the Governor. My team OTC had a full season and even went to the 3rd round of the playoffs. A few other states, including New York where I grew up, had everything shutdown not just sports. And, possibly will have this coming season shutdown. Please give our Governor credit for keeping Florida open and continuing to keep Florida open.

oh really, so the FHSAA did NOT shut down sports in the spring?

I'll give him credit when he pretends to care about other athletes who aren't football players like the rest of this state proved they didn't care about when it was "oh well sucks to be a spring athlete, but lets move on to football"

The state of Florida made it clear that spring sports could only come back if school was in session

but no school was gonna open back up for a week or two when the numbers dropped because it would have been pointless, all the provisions and options that was given to make the FALL season happen was never given during the spring 

and bringing up what Trinity Catholic did in the FALL has 0 to do with what I referenced 

13 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'll give him credit when he pretends to care about other athletes who aren't football players like the rest of this state proved they didn't care about when it was "oh well sucks to be a spring athlete, but lets move on to football"

Since when is the FHSAA the Governor of the state? Also, Spring football, 4 months before the start of the regular season, is basically not necessary. It's nice to have but is overall not necessary to the HS football season. I'm thinking that the FHSAA had a wait and see what happens attitude for cancelling spring games. They waited and saw. Then allowed the regular season to commence. What the Governor did and continues to do is to insure that Florida remains prosperous unlike some of the locked down states that are becoming black holes. 

Just now, Proseteye said:

Since when is the FHSAA the Governor of the state? Also, Spring football, 4 months before the start of the regular season, is basically not necessary. It's nice to have but is overall not necessary to the HS football season. I'm thinking that the FHSAA had a wait and see what happens attitude for cancelling spring games. They waited and saw. Then allowed the regular season to commence. What the Governor did and continues to do is to insure that Florida remains prosperous unlike some of the locked down states that are becoming black holes. 

I wasn't talking about SPRING FOOTBALL

why would I CARE IF TEAMS LOSE ONE RANDOM PRACTICE GAME

I was talking about the spring sports which got shut down

do you ever see the governor at any baseball or softball games? do you ever see him at any track meets?

no he shows up to football which is so clearly the only sport that people care about in this state because when i keep saying spring people instantly think I'm talking about a exhibition game instead of the athletes busting their ass for a full season that play during the spring

I get this is a football board but its pathetic that this state seems to only care about athletes if they are a football player, they don't care if any other sports gets screwed over which is why they had a suggestion in place to shorten winter and spring season on the table during the summer just to get a full football season but why should I be surprised, when nobody at the top of the state shows any interest in any sport how can we expect the fans to care about these other athletes. 

There are athletes at a ton of sports in this state who work their ass off and are trying to get themselves into college but they get shafted anytime something needs to be changed to fit the football schedule 

Believe it or not but FOOTBALL isn't the only sport in the state that athletes are trying to get to college with but the way the state showed their true colors over the spring and summer It is no surprise 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I am going to try and respond to several of your posts...

No fan of the governor here, but closing schools  was the right call and canceling spring sports was the right call. In March/April/May, we didn't have all the knowledge that we have now. This thing was packing our hospitals and the effects on young people were unknown in terms of how quickly in can spread. I think you are taking a too narrow of a view on this. I have zero, zero doubt that if football had been a spring sport that football would still have been canceled. I don't think anybody thought that it was okay to screw over spring athletes, but they also recognize the fact that those seniors, who lost their senior year, are moving on to bigger and better things. The non-seniors will get additional opportunities and as you are realizing, other than football, almost every sport the recruiting is done, not during HS seasons, but travel teams (soccer, volleyball, baseball/softball, basketball). 

Does it stink that a person lost an opportunity? Sure, but so did Academic Team kids, Robotics Kids, Singers and Dancers for theater. It is bad that anybody lost an opportunity, but need to think bigger picture. Public health demanded precautions. Here is the thing to understand about flattening the curve (Spring goal). It only works if we took necessary measures before they seemed necessary. And if it worked, people will think we over-reacted. We have to be willing to look like we over-reacted. 

I think you are being too conspiratorial minded on this. If think that the FHSAA and the governor thought for one moment on how to ensure football, but not other sports.  

The Governor shows up to football games because:
1) it shows how "American" he is... Football being the ultimate American game. I rarely think of Presidents going to football games (President Trump went to some non-military academies, but I rarely think of Presidents going). Governor has easier time of security at a football game where is in on the field away from fans. In a basketball or baseball game, there is no where to hide. As for track, there is a reason it is a great Olympic TV sport, but a horrible spectator sport. 11 second races with 6-8 minutes in between each time.  I love seeing highlights of the state championship meet or the Bob Hayes Invitational or a 4x400 where a kid chases someone down from 50 meters behind, but going live, is a dreadful experience unless you have a rooting interest. 

2) He is actively trying to encourage people that going to big opened air events is safe (you make your own determination if that is right). Same reason why he shows up at TPC and Daytona Bike Week. 

3) Hundreds of people show up for a town football game vs moms and dads show up for a softball game, which gets you in front of more eye balls. 

They delayed football this fall and even Columbia County delayed football even further to ensure that it was safe, which is why they didn't have a 10 game regular season. Even if a football crazed county like Columbia, football still took the back seat to health and safety. 

I will go further, if the state championship in boys basketball had been at the end of March instead of the beginning, do you think they are canceling it. The answer is yes. School districts canceled volleyball and football team playoff games because of outbreaks at their schools. The only true safe thing was to shut everything down, but human beings crave social interaction and eventually things had to open back up. The biggest problem public health people and the politicians had was that they didn't give people measurable goals of what the shutdown/lockdowns meant. If our positivity rates were below X.X% for a week than our restaurants/bars/stores can open up, if hospitals had X number of beds available.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:38 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Regular season football didn't generate any money for Orange County schools this past season. Tickets were distributed to players, cheerleaders, band members, and dance teams (2 per student per game) at no charge; stadiums were pretty empty at a few hundred fans per game. It was only when the playoffs began that the FHSAA collected money for tickets.