3rd times a charm?

EagleEye

On 4/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, Perspective said:

Jambun, that's a bold statement.  I'd love to hear you expound on this. 

How should the rules be changed?   Should all schools/coaches be able to openly recruit?  On-campus visits for 8th graders?  On-campus visits for kids playing at other schools?   Can a coach from one team go to a game between two other neighboring schools when his team has an off week and then talk to kids who just played in the game as they are walking off the field?  Can a school set up a booth at a 7-on-7 tournament and give away free Gatorade and Power Bars to kids from other teams?  Will high school kids be on social media bragging about their "offers" from all the various high schools in their area (or the area in the next county or state over)?

Colleges have a difficult enough time monitoring the recruiting process.   It occurs to me that the issue will simply go from "are they really recruiting?" to "are they following the recruiting rules?"   There will be guys out there that will always try to push the envelope (and who will cross the line) in order to get an advantage. 

Would open recruiting benefit "wealthy schools?"  Won't this further exacerbate the "haves and the have nots" disparity we've already started to see? 

While I have my own opinion on the matter, I'm willing to keep an open mind.   But before we open Pandora's Box, I think it's worth having the discussion of what the Wild, Wild West will look like if all schools, coaches and players are allowed to openly recruit. 

I don't care about the specifics, recruiting is already happening anyway. I am not interested in this holier-than-thou crap about high school players "playing for the school that they are zoned for, because it is their community, and they need to learn valuable lessons" when coaches are constantly changing jobs for greener pastures, and there is huge turnover among coaches every year for High School Football in Florida. 

I make a distinction between "marketing" and "recruiting."  Personally, I have no problem with schools doing open houses, group tours, etc. with the ability to emphasize, instead of ignore, athletics.  If Public High School wants to have an open house and invite any kid in the county to attend, I'm fine with that.   And, quite frankly, the only schools that likely will object are the ones that don't have the resources to do even that or the private schools that are already doing it.   As part of "marketing," schools also could tout their athletic programs via social media - which they already do to a certain extent.   But, they could take it a step further in my mind.

I do have a problem with recruiting by schools and coaches.   I recognize the practical reality of trying to police kids talking up their program/coaches with their peers.   I look at recruiting as an effort by a school or coach to target a specific kid who is not otherwise zoned to attend that particular school.   That's where I draw the line. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

I make a distinction between "marketing" and "recruiting."  Personally, I have no problem with schools doing open houses, group tours, etc. with the ability to emphasize, instead of ignore, athletics.  If Public High School wants to have an open house and invite any kid in the county to attend, I'm fine with that.   And, quite frankly, the only schools that likely will object are the ones that don't have the resources to do even that or the private schools that are already doing it.   As part of "marketing," schools also could tout their athletic programs via social media - which they already do to a certain extent.   But, they could take it a step further in my mind.

I do have a problem with recruiting by schools and coaches.   I recognize the practical reality of trying to police kids talking up their program/coaches with their peers.   I look at recruiting as an effort by a school or coach to target a specific kid who is not otherwise zoned to attend that particular school.   That's where I draw the line. 

Completely agree

10 hours ago, Perspective said:

Where you draw the line? Are you interested in a leadership position with the FHSAA?  

On 5/3/2021 at 11:38 PM, Jambun82 said:

No, because your "drawn line" is too restrictive for me. 

No worries, Jambun.   I was just stating my personal opinion on the issue of recruiting and where I "draw the line" just reflects my personal beliefs on the subject.   I understand that reasonable people can have very different opinions on this issue and can agree to disagree.  I just happen to believe that if you allow any kind of recruiting, you open up Pandora's Box to all kinds of issues and problems.   In my mind, this will lead to regional "super teams" . . . at least as long as the head coach and/or coaching staff stay at a particular school.  Recent changes have already contributed to this.  If recruiting is allowed, that could further tilt the balance of power which, in turn, could adversely affect the overall health of the sport. 

While you might not be enamored with the idea of kids growing up in the same neighborhood coming together in high school to win a state championship, I like it . . . perhaps because I've seen it.   To the contrary, I really don't like the idea of a kid transferring from one school to the next to the next and to the next because the grass looks greener somewhere else and some other coach whispers sweet nothings in his ear to get him to make the move because that coach needs a back-up plan in case one of his kids gets snatched up by some other school.  I realize the Kyle Trask story is an anomaly, but I love that story of perseverance and reward. 

Again, reasonable people can agree to disagree on this issue.   My opinion doesn't make me right or wrong.  It just makes it mine. 

9 hours ago, Perspective said:

No worries, Jambun.   I was just stating my personal opinion on the issue of recruiting and where I "draw the line" just reflects my personal beliefs on the subject.   I understand that reasonable people can have very different opinions on this issue and can agree to disagree.  I just happen to believe that if you allow any kind of recruiting, you open up Pandora's Box to all kinds of issues and problems.   In my mind, this will lead to regional "super teams" . . . at least as long as the head coach and/or coaching staff stay at a particular school.  Recent changes have already contributed to this.  If recruiting is allowed, that could further tilt the balance of power which, in turn, could adversely affect the overall health of the sport. 

While you might not be enamored with the idea of kids growing up in the same neighborhood coming together in high school to win a state championship, I like it . . . perhaps because I've seen it.   To the contrary, I really don't like the idea of a kid transferring from one school to the next to the next and to the next because the grass looks greener somewhere else and some other coach whispers sweet nothings in his ear to get him to make the move because that coach needs a back-up plan in case one of his kids gets snatched up by some other school.  I realize the Kyle Trask story is an anomaly, but I love that story of perseverance and reward. 

Again, reasonable people can agree to disagree on this issue.   My opinion doesn't make me right or wrong.  It just makes it mine. 

I enjoy seeing players in a community coming together to win and be successful as well. I just don't want young people's options to be limited. 

On 5/4/2021 at 9:30 PM, Jambun82 said:

I enjoy seeing players in a community coming together to win and be successful as well. I just don't want young people's options to be limited. 

Now, see, Jambun, we're not that far apart on this topic after all. 

Here's the way I look at it, if Johnny lives in the northeast part of town, but yet he and his family are aware of the storied tradition of Southwest High School, and they believe Johnny's talents and skill set would be a good fit at SHS (and are willing to drive Johnny to and from SHS every day), I don't really have a problem with Johnny making the decision to attend SHS.   Personally, I'd prefer that decision get made before Johnny ever steps foot onto the Northeast High School campus (and certainly before Johnny ever puts on a NHS jersey), but I recognize there may be circumstances in which a transfer might be appropriate (especially if Johnny is a QB or a kicker).  

What I don't want to see is the coach from SHS calling up Johnny and his parents trying to convince them that SHS would be the better place for Johnny to showcase his talents.  I don't want the SHS coach making that call when Johnny's in the 8th grade and I certainly don't want to see that call being made once Johnny starts attending NHS. 

In short, if a kid and/or his family decide on their own that they want to explore/pursue other options, I'm OK with that.  I just don't think we want to open up Pandora's Box by allowing schools/coaches to engage in a targeted campaign to try and convince particular kids and their families that their school is the better option.  

On 4/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, Jambun82 said:

If you have no idea what the Edgewater staff or players are or are not doing, I don't believe that it is a good idea to even speculate about that word that you emphasized. I have seen firsthand that the Eagles have a great coaching staff, and overall program. That is probably a big reason why many top players in the area want to be a part of that experience. 

I concur they have a great staff

On 4/28/2021 at 10:01 PM, skyway said:

Recruiting is a perfectly reasonable, ethical approach which is already employed by all or nearly all schools, be it in sports, academics or other extracurriculars. Bribing players to play for a school is both creepy and unethical. Why this distinction is obfuscated is entirely unclear. 

I have no idea what Edgewater's staff (or its players) are doing, but they are now ending up with a lot more talent than they used to get. I'm not saying there's anything bad or wrong about that. My school is famous (or infamous) for this as well.

I say, bring receipts when you throw out accusations like that.  I a don't even live in Orlando and have no dog in the fight but anyone can say anything on the internet.  Without receipts its just fodder.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, Perspective said:

I mean..... There is a certain school in South Tampa that has a championship count that was assisted by kids that you know... lived outside of their zones and somehow made it into the capacity filled A School and just so happened to be high level D1 recruits.... 

Here 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Or Here

9 hours ago, peezy28 said:

I say, bring receipts when you throw out accusations like that.  I a don't even live in Orlando and have no dog in the fight but anyone can say anything on the internet.  Without receipts its just fodder.

What accusation? It seems as if you have imagined that I have accused someone of something. Odd.

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

Now, see, Jambun, we're not that far apart on this topic after all. 

Here's the way I look at it, if Johnny lives in the northeast part of town, but yet he and his family are aware of the storied tradition of Southwest High School, and they believe Johnny's talents and skill set would be a good fit at SHS (and are willing to drive Johnny to and from SHS every day), I don't really have a problem with Johnny making the decision to attend SHS.   Personally, I'd prefer that decision get made before Johnny ever steps foot onto the Northeast High School campus (and certainly before Johnny ever puts on a NHS jersey), but I recognize their may be circumstances in which a transfer might be appropriate (especially if Johnny is a QB or a kicker).  

What I don't want to see is the coach from SHS calling up Johnny and his parents trying to convince them that SHS would be the better place for Johnny to showcase his talents.  I don't want the SHS coach making that call when Johnny's in the 8th grade and I certainly don't want to see that call being made once Johnny starts attending NHS. 

In short, if a kid and/or his family decide on their own that they want to explore/pursue other options, I'm OK with that.  I just don't think we want to open up Pandora's Box by allowing schools/coaches to engage in a targeted campaign to try and convince particular kids and their families that their school is the better option.  

That sounds reasonable.