Apopka entering the 21st century?

Perspective

Darter, I thought I saw something on social media a week or so ago about Apopka abandoning the single wing offense and going to a pro-style or spread offense.   But I haven't seen anything about it on this board or any others.   Is it true?  Any idea what finally prompted the change? 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Darter, I thought I saw something on social media a week or so ago about Apopka abandoning the single wing offense and going to a pro-style or spread offense.   But I haven't seen anything about it on this board or any others.   Is it true?  Any idea what finally prompted the change? 

They will still use single wing. The goal is to experiment with other things. But I will be honest: unless Apopka gets a QB who throws the ball at least as well as Zack Darlington did back in 2012, they will not stray far from the single wing. The problem is: It is difficult to get a QB that good, especially if he feels there is not a deep commitment to at least a 40/60 split. 

16 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They will still use single wing. The goal is to experiment with other things. But I will be honest: unless Apopka gets a QB who throws the ball at least as well as Zack Darlington did back in 2012, they will not stray far from the single wing. The problem is: It is difficult to get a QB that good, especially if he feels there is not a deep commitment to at least a 40/60 split. 

Catch-22.   Until Apopka commits to a pro-style/spread offense, no pro-style/dual-threat QB is going to want to play there.  But until a pro-style/dual-threat QB comes along, Apopka isn't going to want to stray away from what has worked for them for so many years.  

Looks like Apopka is sticking its toes in the water, but not jumping all the way in the pool quite yet. 

10 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

On an unrelated note, Apopka renews its rivalry with Lakeland with an October date at Bryant Stadium. Not sure what Lakeland has this year, but to travel to their place is usually difficult. 

Darter, it shouldn't be that difficult . . . Take 429 to I-4 W, then get off on Exit 33.   Should take you a little over an hour. :D

On 4/7/2021 at 5:00 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

Andrew McClain, younger brother of Timmy McClain (Sanford Seminole), transferred from Seminole to Apopka in January and should be a good fit at QB for the Darters. Andrew will be a senior in the Fall; he has good size and runs well. He's an adequate passer with a strong arm.

4 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Andrew McClain, younger brother of Timmy McClain (Sanford Seminole), transferred from Seminole to Apopka in January and should be a good fit at QB for the Darters. Andrew will be a senior in the Fall; he has good size and runs well. He's an adequate passer with a strong arm.

It is unfortunate he was behind Timmy for years and then had to transfer to get a chance to start with the Oviedo kid coming in. 

We will see how this works. As a senior, it does not give the program that much time to adjust around his skills.