2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

52 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Bottom line:  if there were tens of thousands of people in a metro area who were interested in the fact that some 11th grade kid announced on his Twitter feed that he was transferring from one school to another, the media would report it.  But there aren't, so they don't. 

Man, that's brutal.

10 hours ago, skyway said:

How, exactly, do they "steal" players? You mean the kids leave one program to go play for them because they have a far more accomplished program? Or do you mean they are physically coercing them and/or bribing them? You seem to suggest they "cheat". In what way are they cheating? I seem to remember not too long ago others demanding "proof" for such accusations.

Recruiting, however it is accomplished is illegal.  Period. You are using an extreme analogy of bribing or threatening when most of the time it only requires someone to reach out to a desired player and paint how much greener the grass is on the other side.  Polk coaches know it happens, but the way it happens is difficult to "Prove"!  Your argument seems to be if I can't "Prove It" then it doesn't exist so don't make accusations. Poor argument.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

ColumbiaFan, I know that Jacksonville transfers (especially into public schools) is a topic near and dear to your heart.  But, I don't know if the media should be blamed for not reporting it, as if it's some kind of conspiracy between the media and the schools in Duval Co.  

In the Tampa Bay area, we've gone from two daily publications to one and home delivery has gone from 7 days a week to 2.  During football season, the newspapers used to have stories on virtually every game in the area.  Now, they tend to pick out two or three games, cover only those games, and nothing is said about all the others (not even scores).  We see absolutely zero coverage of high school football during the off-season.  Occasionally, one of the beat writers will retweet something, but that's about it.  And the TV stations are really no better.   During the season, one of the stations does a "high school windup" in the last 5-10 minutes of it's 11:00 newscast on Friday nights, but as with the print media, they focus on 4-5 games, if that, show a handful of highlights, and give a handful of scores. 

I mention all of this because the media, and the media's coverage of high school football, in particular, and high school sports, in general, has changed (and by "changed," I mean "decreased") considerably over the years as the whole media landscape has changed because of the Internet.  Personally, I don't like it, but I reluctantly understand it. 

My point is this:  the media has fewer and fewer resources and they are unlikely to devote those resources to someone whose main job it is to keep track of high school kids jumping from one ship to another.   Fortunately, as represented by the several posts you have included on this thread, there are some people in some areas (like South Florida) that do track transfers and who post the information.  (By the way, as an aside, and based on what I've seen in this thread, is Hallandale even going to be able to field a team this year?   Seems like every other kid I've seen is transferring from Hallandale to another school.). 

Bottom line:  if there were tens of thousands of people in a metro area who were interested in the fact that some 11th grade kid announced on his Twitter feed that he was transferring from one school to another, the media would report it.  But there aren't, so they don't. 

They don't even report transfers in the preseason breakdowns that the Jacksonville media get on teams even though it wouldn't be hard for them to get that information 

What's the excuse there?

22 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Recruiting, however it is accomplished is illegal.  Period. You are using an extreme analogy of bribing or threatening when most of the time it only requires someone to reach out to a desired player and paint how much greener the grass is on the other side.  Polk coaches know it happens, but the way it happens is difficult to "Prove"!  Your argument seems to be if I can't "Prove It" then it doesn't exist so don't make accusations. Poor argument.

I'm not surprised by his horrendous take considering he's the same dude on national board claiming that any team worth a damn in Florida has to recruit to get good 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

ColumbiaFan, I know that Jacksonville transfers (especially into public schools) is a topic near and dear to your heart.  But, I don't know if the media should be blamed for not reporting it, as if it's some kind of conspiracy between the media and the schools in Duval Co.  

In the Tampa Bay area, we've gone from two daily publications to one and home delivery has gone from 7 days a week to 2.  During football season, the newspapers used to have stories on virtually every game in the area.  Now, they tend to pick out two or three games, cover only those games, and nothing is said about all the others (not even scores).  We see absolutely zero coverage of high school football during the off-season.  Occasionally, one of the beat writers will retweet something, but that's about it.  And the TV stations are really no better.   During the season, one of the stations does a "high school windup" in the last 5-10 minutes of it's 11:00 newscast on Friday nights, but as with the print media, they focus on 4-5 games, if that, show a handful of highlights, and give a handful of scores. 

I mention all of this because the media, and the media's coverage of high school football, in particular, and high school sports, in general, has changed (and by "changed," I mean "decreased") considerably over the years as the whole media landscape has changed because of the Internet.  Personally, I don't like it, but I reluctantly understand it. 

My point is this:  the media has fewer and fewer resources and they are unlikely to devote those resources to someone whose main job it is to keep track of high school kids jumping from one ship to another.   Fortunately, as represented by the several posts you have included on this thread, there are some people in some areas (like South Florida) that do track transfers and who post the information.  (By the way, as an aside, and based on what I've seen in this thread, is Hallandale even going to be able to field a team this year?   Seems like every other kid I've seen is transferring from Hallandale to another school.). 

And as a result I see a bunch of clowns on these Jacksonville football discussion pages complaining that they can't win titles because SFL is full of recruited up all star teams 

SFL gets punished for being transparent while these fans up here want to act like they only win with homegrown talent 

They deserve to be called out much more than the SFL teams who don't have anything to hide 

31 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Bill Castle was an assistant for and mentored by Paul Quinn.  Quinn did the same things at Bartow.

48 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

How we define "recruiting" matters, a lot. Is having a mega screen TV at the stadium "recruiting"? Because it's the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. Does winning state championships amount to "recruiting"? Because it's also the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. When a 16 year-old contacts his buddy from youth football and says to him "bro, we need a player just like you! The kid we have there now isn't very good. You'll start right away!", is that recruiting?

Has Lakeland been doing anything that, say, Edgewater or Central or Venice haven't been doing?

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And they would still be more competitive than a lot of the teams in 6a or 7a are currently

I'm ok with a legit transfer coming in from a legit move. But when a team is getting multiple transfers from neighboring schools, it defeats the purpose of classification. I've said before, the number of transfers needs to be limited or teams need to be moved up in class.

1 minute ago, skyway said:

How we define "recruiting" matters, a lot. Is having a big screen TV "recruiting"? Because it's the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. Does winning state championships amount to "recruiting"? Because it's also the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. When a 16 year-old contacts his buddy from youth football and says to him "bro, we need a player just like you! The kid we have there now isn't very good. You'll start right away!", is that recruiting?

Has Lakeland been doing anything that, say, Edgewater or Central or Venice haven't been doing?

Recruiting is any player/coach reaching out to a player either through text or in person conversation either at a team facilities or a camp and trying to convince them to come play for a different school 

So the second example, yes is recruiting and no not every good program in Florida does it 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

It makes no sense for reputable newspapers to report on teenagers transferring schools. Especially given how insane the numbers of them are.

Just now, skyway said:

It makes no sense for reputable newspapers to report on teenagers transferring schools. Especially given how insane the numbers of them are.

So it's better for them to flat out lie when they talk about programs winning with all home grown talent while making excuses for why their teams aren't good enough to beat teams in Orlando, Pensacola, Tampa or south Florida when the $$$$ on the line

21 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm not surprised by his horrendous take considering he's the same dude on national board claiming that any team worth a damn in Florida has to recruit to get good 

To get good relative to the teams discussed on a national board, teams DO have to acquire a disproportionate share of talent through players making a special effort to play there. That doesn't mean they "steal" or "bribe" or, in Florida, "cheat".

4 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I'm ok with a legit transfer coming in from a legit move. But when a team is getting multiple transfers from neighboring schools, it defeats the purpose of classification. I've said before, the number of transfers needs to be limited or teams need to be moved up in class.

I'm okay with transfers as long as it's up to the kid and he isn't being manipulated or convinced to come by someone at the school

If a kid decides a different school is a better fit for him then why is it the other schools fault for letting him come?  

To get good relative to the teams discussed on a national board, teams DO have to acquire a disproportionate share of talent through players making a special effort to play there. That doesn't mean they "steal" or "bribe" or, in Florida, "cheat".

So because most the clowns on that board only know of 5 teams in Florida that means only 5 are good?

I bet if it wasn't for people like me the only Florida teams the people on Prep Gridiron would hear mentioned are Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, IMG, STA and AHP 

But to say those are the only teams who are good in Florida when there's usually anywhere from 10-15 teams in the national top 100 and probably at least 30-40 in the top 300 which I would define as being good it's laughable to claim they all cheating

Should I make the same claim about the GA teams that they can only be good if they are cheating?

10 minutes ago, skyway said:

How we define "recruiting" matters, a lot. Is having a mega screen TV at the stadium "recruiting"? Because it's the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. Does winning state championships amount to "recruiting"? Because it's also the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. When a 16 year-old contacts his buddy from youth football and says to him "bro, we need a player just like you! The kid we have there now isn't very good. You'll start right away!", is that recruiting?

Another great argument, Edgewater, Central and Venice do it.  Guess it is okay.

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Recruiting is any player/coach reaching out to a player either through text or in person conversation either at a team facilities or a camp and trying to convince them to come play for a different school 

So the second example, yes is recruiting and no not every good program in Florida does it 

Every program that ends up with a roster good enough to compete for state titles (if you make it to the state title game and lose by six touchdowns, you didn't really compete for a state title) does it. We do see schools in more rural or smaller cities who have good programs and don't have much of that happening. But, anywhere where we see many schools in an area and a lot of ballers, it is happening. It's a cultural thing. Playing with the best players has significantly more appeal to kids than loyalty to a team or school. I'm not a big fan of this. I just find it sad that people like to single out the one or two programs they have personal experience with and do not like and come off as if those programs are the evil ones. This is EVERYWHERE which is not rural.

Every program that ends up with a roster good enough to compete for state titles (if you make it to the state title game and lose by six touchdowns, you didn't really compete for a state title) does it. We do see schools in more rural or smaller cities who have good programs and don't have much of that happening. But, anywhere where we see many schools in an area and a lot of ballers, it is happening. It's a cultural thing. Playing with the best players has significantly more appeal to kids than loyalty to a team or school. I'm not a big fan of this. I just find it sad that people like to single out the one or two programs they have personal experience with and do not like and come off as if those programs are the evil ones. This is EVERYWHERE which is not rural.

Yeah and I also don't like it when people assume that specifically in Florida the only good teams in the state have to cheat to do so 

And I hate it when people point to private schools and drag them for being cheaters then look the other way when there are public schools in the same county who get more transfers in but only the private school is cheating apparently 

And that happens in every metro in the state, people complain about STA, AHP and Cardinal Gibbons but won't complain about DFB, MNW or Miami Central who pick up as many if not more transfers than any of those 3 privates do but people want to put privates in a different classification but won't complain about the publics picking up double digits 

If the privates need to be moved to their own classification for transfers than so should those publics 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So it's better for them to flat out lie when they talk about programs winning with all home grown talent while making excuses for why their teams aren't good enough to beat teams in Orlando, Pensacola, Tampa or south Florida when the $$$$ on the line

"Home grown talent" is a disputed concept. Polk County folks think of themselves as all "home grown". Lloyd Summerall was still a "homegrown" kid from Polk even after he transferred from Auburndale to Lakeland. Kids in Dade county see themselves as from the 305.

Again, you literally can't name a team that ascended to dominance and can hang with the state's elite and doesn't have a bunch of "move-ins". In the current climate (not to be confused with 1997), Columbia will get SMASHED by any of the elite teams. Simply because those teams are certain to have cast a wider net and attracted players in ways a school in Lake City just can't do. For the record, I am not a fan of this. It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, skyway said:

"Home grown talent" is a disputed concept. Polk County folks think of themselves as all "home grown". Lloyd Summerall was still a "homegrown" kid from Polk even after he transferred from Auburndale to Lakeland. Kids in Dade county see themselves as from the 305.

Again, you literally can't name a team that ascended to dominance and can hang with the state's elite and doesn't have a bunch of "move-ins". In the current climate (not to be confused with 1997), Columbia will get SMASHED by any of the elite teams. Simply because those teams are certain to have cast a wider net and attracted players in ways a school in Lake City just can't do. For the record, I am not a fan of this. It is what it is.

Bet IMG thought the same thing and despite what excuses those liars want to come up with IMG was playing 4* and 5* across the roster 

It was the same kind of game that SFL people used to talk up AHP in 2015, the only difference is it's convenient for people's argument to prop up the AHP win but not Columbia win over IMG