2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

3 minutes ago, skyway said:

"Home grown talent" is a disputed concept. Polk County folks think of themselves as all "home grown". Lloyd Summerall was still a "homegrown" kid from Polk even after he transferred from Auburndale to Lakeland. Kids in Dade county see themselves as from the 305.

Again, you literally can't name a team that ascended to dominance and can hang with the state's elite and doesn't have a bunch of "move-ins". In the current climate (not to be confused with 1997), Columbia will get SMASHED by any of the elite teams. Simply because those teams are certain to have cast a wider net and attracted players in ways a school in Lake City just can't do. For the record, I am not a fan of this. It is what it is.

People at Lee complain about Columbia pulling from an entire county (which is a lie) and say they have to protect themselves against poachers and win with a small zone of talent 

If you give the argument in their case that all of Duval county is "home grown" for them then they are pulling from a county of nearly 1M while Columbia is pulling from a county of 50k so any argument they have goes up in smoke 

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So because most the clowns on that board only know of 5 teams in Florida that means only 5 are good?

I bet if it wasn't for people like me the only Florida teams the people on Prep Gridiron would hear mentioned are Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, IMG, STA and AHP 

But to say those are the only teams who are good in Florida when there's usually anywhere from 10-15 teams in the national top 100 and probably at least 30-40 in the top 300 which I would define as being good it's laughable to claim they all cheating

Should I make the same claim about the GA teams that they can only be good if they are cheating?

"Good" is a subjective term. Wiregrass Ranch was "good" when they played Lakeland in 2018 and 2019. Winning record, good coaches. They were a good team. The *halftime* scores of those two games were 43-0 and 48-0, respectively. 

Cheating means dishonesty and rule breaking. I've not accused any schools of that. 

15 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm okay with transfers as long as it's up to the kid and he isn't being manipulated or convinced to come by someone at the school

If a kid decides a different school is a better fit for him then why is it the other schools fault for letting him come?  

The intent behind school choice was for academics not athletics.

14 minutes ago, skyway said:

"Good" is a subjective term. Wiregrass Ranch was "good" when they played Lakeland in 2018 and 2019. Winning record, good coaches. They were a good team. The *halftime* scores of those two games were 43-0 and 48-0, respectively. 

Cheating means dishonesty and rule breaking. I've not accused any schools of that. 

You say recruiting which by FHSAA rules is cheating 

Remember attraction is legal, recruiting is not 

You being a successful program that naturally causes kids to want to play at your school is completely within the rules 

Any coach or player trying to convince someone to leave their school and come to yours is recruiting which Is NOT within the rules 

12 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Another great argument, Edgewater, Central and Venice do it.  Guess it is okay.

Every elite program benefits from the same phenomenon: players have zero loyalty to any school or any coach and they just want to play together to form the best teams. Call out all of them, or call out none of them.  

Just now, Hwy17 said:

It applies on both ends

School choice was to ensure that teams are not forced to attend a school they feel is not going to be the right fit for them because of zoning 

It was meant to give easier access to get the right educational fit but athletics are a part of it as many athletes are more motivated for education when playing sports 

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Bet IMG thought the same thing and despite what excuses those liars want to come up with IMG was playing 4* and 5* across the roster 

It was the same kind of game that SFL people used to talk up AHP in 2015, the only difference is it's convenient for people's argument to prop up the AHP win but not Columbia win over IMG 

Columbia has never recorded a win over IMG. They've never even played a full varsity game against IMG.

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It applies on both ends

School choice was to ensure that teams are not forced to attend a school they feel is not going to be the right fit for them because of zoning 

It was meant to give easier access to get the right educational fit but athletics are a part of it as many athletes are more motivated for education when playing sports 

You know as well as I that these kids are transferring for athletics not academics.

1 minute ago, skyway said:

Columbia has never recorded a win over IMG. They've never even played a full varsity game against IMG.

Only because their second team couldn't keep their game as scheduled and wanted to throw it in the second half to save face 

But to claim we would get embarrassed by any elite team is laughable

We played Colquitt the next year and lost by a single score 

We played TCA in 2019 when they were at the time ranked top 5 in the state and beat them 38-7 and they are one of the best small school privates in the country year to year 

8 minutes ago, skyway said:

Every elite program benefits from the same phenomenon: players have zero loyalty to any school or any coach and they just want to play together to form the best teams. Call out all of them, or call out none of them.  

You are correct if a program turns over the coaching staff constantly.  Those schools that have stability in their staff have plenty of loyalty for a variety of reasons including their dad, uncle or granddad played there.  We transferred out two of our running backs recently because they weren't going to get the ball as often as they might like.  Both will start wherever they end up (one is at Freedom right now).  We were okay with that as no one recruited them and they felt it best for them.  Only brought up a county like Polk because as you said it happens everywhere but most were only pointing to the metro areas.  Those elite schools recruit be it legally or illegally to maintain their national recognition and it is discouraging to say the least for those that have to compete against a stacked deck.  So, regarding "zero loyalty"  you are mistaken as I know OHS as well as others still value that because it is real.

43 minutes ago, skyway said:

How we define "recruiting" matters, a lot. Is having a mega screen TV at the stadium "recruiting"? Because it's the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. Does winning state championships amount to "recruiting"? Because it's also the kind of thing that may make kids want to play there. When a 16 year-old contacts his buddy from youth football and says to him "bro, we need a player just like you! The kid we have there now isn't very good. You'll start right away!", is that recruiting?

Has Lakeland been doing anything that, say, Edgewater or Central or Venice haven't been doing?

Is having a mega screen TV at the stadium "recruiting"?  No.

Does winning state championships amount to "recruiting"?   No. 

When a 16 year-old contacts his buddy from youth football and says to him "bro, we need a player just like you! The kid we have there now isn't very good. You'll start right away!", is that recruiting?  Yes. 

B)

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Then why was it discussed like it was a new thing before the 2017? (I think) Season?

In the mid 2000s it was STA whining because they couldn't beat Lakeland. The 2006 Lakeland team had a ton of transfers.  Then in 2011 Armwood got stripped of a state title for the number of transfers they had; Miami Central who Armwood beat in the championship also had to forfeit their season. Then the state legislature started to get involved so FHSAA came up with its current policy which basically allows free agency in high school sports.

25 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

With all due respect, I call B.S. on this.   That may be how the legislators from Lakeland framed it to get support from their colleagues, but it was all about football . . . and pulling the teeth out of the FHSAA's mouth in retaliation for the FHSAA declaring a group of athletes ineligible for a season (in accordance with existing rules).