2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Point is @skyway

just because some clueless national board asshats claim Columbia is garbage Especially that lowndes poster who has never seen Columbia play in his entire life 

it doesn't mean it's true or accurate

Columbia is generally never going to be able to stay on the field with nationally elite programs. No matter how good of a program they run, and no matter if their coaches are better coaches etc. If Bruce Rollinson and Brian Allen switched jobs tomorrow, the chasm between Columbia and MD may grow even GREATER. For all I know, Allen may be a better coach in 2021. It doesn't change my first sentence above.

9 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

In the mid 2000s it was STA whining because they couldn't beat Lakeland. The 2006 Lakeland team had a ton of transfers.  Then in 2011 Armwood got stripped of a state title for the number of transfers they had; Miami Central who Armwood beat in the championship also had to forfeit their season. Then the state legislature started to get involved so FHSAA came up with its current policy which basically allows free agency in high school sports.

By the way, we went toe to toe with that 2006 Lakeland team and led 3-0 late in the 4th quarter before Rainey ripped off a 70 yard run for their only score to win 7-3 at our place.  One of our best teams ever and led to a state final the following year which we lost to STA.  Sometimes we have the players to compete but seldom the depth.  Lost a key player in the semi's against Bartram Trail (he ended up at Auburn), our QB and top defensive back.  Didn't have someone nearly as good to replace him and that pretty much ended up the difference in that state final.

10 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Then the state legislature started to get involved so FHSAA came up with its current policy which basically allows free agency in high school sports.

Let me rewrite that sentence for you:

"Then the state legislature started to get involved and passed legislation that forced the FHSAA to change its policies to allow kids to transfer to whatever school they want (as long as it's not at capacity and they provide their own transportation)."  

Had the FHSAA not changed their policies to be consistent with the newly-enacted legislation, the FHSAA would have lost their funding from the state.   So, I've got a pretty clear picture in my mind of a bunch of folks sitting around in Gainesville saying to each other "So, what do you want to do?  Come up with new policies that match the new law or all go out and try to find new jobs?"  I know how that one turned out. 

5 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Let me rewrite that sentence for you:

"Then the state legislature started to get involved and passed legislation that forced the FHSAA to change its policies to allow kids to transfer to whatever school they want (as long as it's not at capacity and they provide their own transportation)."  

Had the FHSAA not changed their policies to be consistent with the newly-enacted legislation, the FHSAA would have lost their funding from the state.   So, I've got a pretty clear picture in my mind of a bunch of folks sitting around in Gainesville saying to each other "So, what do you want to do?  Come up with new policies that match the new law or all go out and try to find new jobs?"  I know how that one turned out. 

And instead of solving a problem they create a new one.

19 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

You are correct if a program turns over the coaching staff constantly.  Those schools that have stability in their staff have plenty of loyalty for a variety of reasons including their dad, uncle or granddad played there.  We transferred out two of our running backs recently because they weren't going to get the ball as often as they might like.  Both will start wherever they end up (one is at Freedom right now).  We were okay with that as no one recruited them and they felt it best for them.  Only brought up a county like Polk because as you said it happens everywhere but most were only pointing to the metro areas.  Those elite schools recruit be it legally or illegally to maintain their national recognition and it is discouraging to say the least for those that have to compete against a stacked deck.  So, regarding "zero loyalty"  you are mistaken as I know OHS as well as others still value that because it is real.

It happens anywhere where there are multiple schools within driving distance to choose from. I'm happy to read there is some loyalty. But, the best playing opportunities still take priority, as you note with your RBs. Sometimes, it works the other way, too. Kids who would struggle to play much as freshman, sophomores or juniors find another school where they can see the field. They do this knowing, or at least expecting, to eventually make the move to the preferred school as soon as more playing time figures to be available. A lot of the kids that end up at Lakeland had to play elsewhere when they were younger because they were unlikely to beat out the kids who were there when they were sophomores etc. 

Again, I'm not a big fan of this. I was especially uncomfortable with some of the transfers Lakeland got in the summer before the 2019 season (Osceola got a taste of that team in the KOC).

10 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

By the way, we went toe to toe with that 2006 Lakeland team and led 3-0 late in the 4th quarter before Rainey ripped off a 70 yard run for their only score to win 7-3 at our place.  One of our best teams ever and led to a state final the following year which we lost to STA.  Sometimes we have the players to compete but seldom the depth.  Lost a key player in the semi's against Bartram Trail (he ended up at Auburn), our QB and top defensive back.  Didn't have someone nearly as good to replace him and that pretty much ended up the difference in that state final.

Yes, I remember that. And of course I remember what happened the following season. I believe the DC of that 2006 Osceola team is the current Lakeland DC.

20 minutes ago, skyway said:

It happens anywhere where there are multiple schools within driving distance to choose from. I'm happy to read there is some loyalty. But, the best playing opportunities still take priority, as you note with your RBs. Sometimes, it works the other way, too. Kids who would struggle to play much as freshman, sophomores or juniors find another school where they can see the field. They do this knowing, or at least expecting, to eventually make the move to the preferred school as soon as more playing time figures to be available. A lot of the kids that end up at Lakeland had to play elsewhere when they were younger because they were unlikely to beat out the kids who were there when they were sophomores etc. 

Again, I'm not a big fan of this. I was especially uncomfortable with some of the transfers Lakeland got in the summer before the 2019 season (Osceola got a taste of that team in the KOC).

Looking at the score of that game only you would have that opinion.   Knowing our team we had 3 new linebackers that season with minimal experience so most run plays they were out of position and Bowman and others broke several long runs early.  The more games they played, the better they got and by years end they were doing a much better job.  So yes, Lakeland was more talented but not as much as the score indicated and yes as usual they did have a bunch of transfers.  By the way, the two kids that transferred out are rising seniors not underclassmen looking for playing opportunities.  We have some underclassmen that will get some of their touches.

35 minutes ago, skyway said:

Columbia is generally never going to be able to stay on the field with nationally elite programs. No matter how good of a program they run, and no matter if their coaches are better coaches etc. If Bruce Rollinson and Brian Allen switched jobs tomorrow, the chasm between Columbia and MD may grow even GREATER. For all I know, Allen may be a better coach in 2021. It doesn't change my first sentence above.

If Brian Allen had access to the talent In Lake City that SFL schools or that those California powerhouses have I guarantee you they would annually be top 5 in the country 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If Brian Allen had access to the talent In Lake City that SFL schools or that those California powerhouses have I guarantee you they would annually be top 5 in the country 

Approximately how many transfers in and out does Columbia have on average every Spring and Summer? How does it compare with most other schools in their classification? Do any of those transfers in greatly enhance the capability of the team? IMO just 1 exceptional key player can change a team from average to very good or exceptional. An example would be the time that CJ Spiller was at Union County or Tebow was at Nease. 

Just now, Proseteye said:

Approximately how many transfers in and out does Columbia have on average every Spring and Summer? How does it compare with most other schools in their classification? Do any of those transfers in greatly enhance the capability of the team? IMO just 1 exceptional key player can change a team from average to very good or exceptional. An example would be the time that CJ Spiller was at Union County or Tebow was at Nease. 

I would guess maybe 2 upper classmen and rarely a rated player 

Last impactful transfer who wasn't a player returning to Columbia after leaving as a freshman would probably have been Kenny Johnson in 2015 who came from Lafayette, personally I felt if he was here for 4 years he probably would have been a D1 player 

SL McCall was a pass rusher who went to middle school in live oak, came to Columbia as freshman, played Sophomore season at Suwannee and then played junior and senior years at Columbia and eventually signed I think JUCO 

I can't remember any notable incoming transfers at least any that would be deemed blue chippers, most our transfers are middle school players who played in Suwannee or hamilton and came to Columbia as freshman

2 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Or losing one transfer can kill a team.  In 2018 Lemon Bay went 2-8 after their QB from the year before transfers to Venice. Otherwise I think they would have been a playoff team.

8 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Sorry about that, no offense intended.

Only thought that because you made reference to DC Bundini.  Even I didn't remember him, although I looked it up and he was on the staff.  However, I do know the HC those 2 years was Rolson and he called all the defensive plays.  He brought in a guy named Ty Ensor as the OC and to me he was the biggest difference maker as our defense traditionally was always terrific.  Best play caller I have ever seen at OHS.

8 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Sorry about that, no offense intended.

58 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Or losing one transfer can kill a team.  In 2018 Lemon Bay went 2-8 after their QB from the year before transfers to Venice. Otherwise I think they would have been a playoff team.

In HS football the QB makes or breaks a team. IMO a mediocre QB can destroy any team no matter how many D-1 talented players they have otherwise. And, an exceptional QB can carry a team with only half way decent players into the playoffs and beyond. The years that we had exceptional QBs at Trinity Catholic we won or were an opponent in the championship games. In the seasons 2016 thru 2019 our QBs were not very good at all. As such, the team did not do well against the better opponents. Our current QB, who was a standout at Oak Hall School in Gainesville in the 2019 season, came to the Celtics in the 2020 season. Last year we went to the third round of the playoffs with him behind center. 

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yulee lost themselves a OL to Bolles but unreported by the Jacksonville media so here's the kids Hudl instead

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13135266/Brendan-Black

Black is a monster. Yulee has lost 2 D1 lineman in 2 years now. Bolles has picked up an OL from Episcopal, DL from Fleming Island, LB from Nease, a TE from North Carolina. Bolles will be huge on the OL. If they can figure out a passing game they should make a return trip to the finals. 

8 minutes ago, smashmouth80 said:

Black is a monster. Yulee has lost 2 D1 lineman in 2 years now. Bolles has picked up an OL from Episcopal, DL from Fleming Island, LB from Nease, a TE from North Carolina. Bolles will be huge on the OL. If they can figure out a passing game they should make a return trip to the finals. 

So, now there's a kid at Bolles who plays OL, another who plays DL, another who plays LB and one who plays TE that all finished up their season this past year and all four of them thought they'd be starting (again?) for the Bulldogs this fall.  And now they probably won't be.  Or they'll be starting at another position but the kids who would have been starting at those positions now won't be.    So, conceivably, there are four families shelling out $30K a year in tuition who thought they would be watching their sons playing for Bolles this coming season who, instead, likely will be waving down to their boys during the game, after having told them before the game to "stay ready in case someone gets hurt."  B)

Yeah, I understand the reality.  I know good schools, good coaches and good kids will always attract kids who want to be a part of a successful program.  But, when one school picks up 4 or 5 quality transfers in one off-season, it certainly makes me wonder what's going on just a little. 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

So, now there's a kid at Bolles who plays OL, another who plays DL, another who plays LB and one who plays TE that all finished up their season this past year and all four of them thought they'd be starting (again?) for the Bulldogs this fall.  And now they probably won't be.  Or they'll be starting at another position but the kids who would have been starting at those positions now won't be.    So, conceivably, there are four families shelling out $30K a year in tuition who thought they would be watching their sons playing for Bolles this coming season who, instead, likely will be waving down to their boys during the game, after having told them before the game to "stay ready in case someone gets hurt."  B)

Yeah, I understand the reality.  I know good schools, good coaches and good kids will always attract kids who want to be a part of a successful program.  But, when one school picks up 4 or 5 quality transfers in one off-season, it certainly makes me wonder what's going on just a little. 

That's putting it mildly.