2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

1 hour ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Don't be salty cause I'm sure if Columbia High was getting transfers you'd be telling everyone on these forums 

If I came across the information I would because unlike some media up here I have no reason to hide it 

It ain't salty, it's pointing out the incompetence of the people who want to claim transfers are only happening in SFL but this thread has shown a ton of north Florida transfers but notice the difference

The north Florida transfers for the most part have been posted either as a list or by showing a direct link to a Twitter page of the athlete while in SFL there is actually media transparent enough to report on it 

Just once I would like to see a couple of these kids say that they are transferring to another school due to the other school having a better academic rating with the fans praising them for declaring it.  Something that was the main intention behind the legislature passing the transfer ruling. ;)

4 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Just once I would like to see a couple of these kids say that they are transferring to another school due to the other school having a better academic rating with the fans praising them for declaring it.  Something that was the main intention behind the legislature passing the transfer ruling. ;)

"Just once I would like to see a couple of these kids say that they are transferring to another school due to the other school having a better academic rating"

I hope that you're not holding your breath waiting for that to happen. :lol: I would love to see the FHSAA put an academic requirement on all transfers wanting to participate in athletics at the new school; say a 3.0 or a 3.5 cumulative GPA verified by the former school, or in lieu of that, a waiver by the previous school allowing the transferring student to play immediately. The only exceptions would be either (1) the student transferring as a result of his/her family physically moving to the new school's zone and the family establishing permanent residency there, (2) transferring from a private high school to his/her new school's zone where the family has established permanent residency, or (3) transferring to a private high school with eligibility based upon meeting the GPA requirement listed above. 

49 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

"Just once I would like to see a couple of these kids say that they are transferring to another school due to the other school having a better academic rating"

I hope that you're not holding your breath waiting for that to happen. :lol: I would love to see the FHSAA put an academic requirement on all transfers wanting to participate in athletics at the new school; say a 3.0 or a 3.5 cumulative GPA verified by the former school, or in lieu of that, a waiver by the previous school allowing the transferring student to play immediately. The only exceptions would be either (1) the student transferring as a result of his/her family physically moving to the new school's zone and the family establishing permanent residency there, (2) transferring from a private high school to his/her new school's zone where the family has established permanent residency, or (3) transferring to a private high school with eligibility based upon meeting the GPA requirement listed above. 

I can get behind some version of this idea. Want to transfer to a school you're not zoned for? Show a minimum G.P.A., or state an interest in a program available at the desired school that's not available at the current school. If both schools offer football, then football can't be the reason for transfer. 

Of course, the "equity" monsters would fight it vigorously.

14 minutes ago, skyway said:

I can get behind some version of this idea. Want to transfer to a school you're not zoned for? Show a minimum G.P.A., or state an interest in a program available at the desired school that's not available at the current school. If both schools offer football, then football can't be the reason for transfer. 

And what exactly are you implying there with that statement?

24 minutes ago, skyway said:

the "equity" monsters would fight it vigorously.

They would definitely fight it, if only for political purposes. What too many people are unwilling to acknowledge is that football will only get "a very talented, and lucky few" security for the rest of their lives. The "life span" in the NFL is somewhere less than 3 years. The kids that don't get lifetime security from an NFL career need an education to fall back on after football. 

So when I bring up politics people ask "why is this allowed on a football board" but I guess it's only when it's something "certain people don't agree with"

I hope the mods on here eventually remove these posts like the board full of people who were complaining when I did and wanted it removed 

And that was just me commenting on the standing of the trainwreck that is my pathetic town which was meant to show if the people in charge in Lake City had higher than a 10 IQ this city wouldn't have rising crime and have to rely on tourism to break even every year 

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So when I bring up politics people ask "why is this allowed on a football board" but I guess it's only when it's something "certain people don't agree with"

I hope the mods on here eventually remove these posts like the board full of people who were complaining when I did it wanted removed 

Bringing facts to a conversation is not politics, my friend. Most high school football players will never even attend a college, either one that they play football at or a college they achieve academically at. The few that do attend colleges, primarily to play football, will never make it to the NFL. The very few that do make it to the NFL may play very little or not at all. There is extreme competition for positions and also injuries to consider. Only a small fraction of the college players that make it to the NFL ever have successful careers. The average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. Add up all of the high school football players in the state of Florida. How many play football at the college level and especially at the D1 level. Then how many of those college players ever see an NFL stadium except from the bleacher seats. As for minorites that rely exclusively on football in high school as their path forward in life are deluding themselves. Without strong academics there will be no solid path forward. I think life itself has taught this. 

1 minute ago, Proseteye said:

Bringing facts to a conversation is not politics, my friend. Most high school football players will never even attend a college, either one that they play football at or a college they achieve academically at. The few that do attend colleges, primarily to play football, will never make it to the NFL. The very few that do make it to the NFL may play very little or not at all. There is extreme competition for positions and also injuries to consider. Only a small fraction of the college players that make it to the NFL ever have successful careers. The average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. Add up all of the high school football players in the state of Florida. How many play football at the college level and especially at the D1 level. Then how many of those college players ever see an NFL stadium except from the bleacher seats. As for minorites that rely exclusively on football in high school as their path forward in life are deluding themselves. Without strong academics there will be no solid path forward. I think life itself has taught this. 

It wasn't that comment I was referring to 

The way I look at it that is the young adults choice, they decide how they pursue life as it's their life and no matter how low the odds are they should pursue their dreams, I think of this quote from a man who probably could forget more about football than any poster on here would have ever learned

"We will strive for perfection, we will not achieve it but in our pursuit of perfection we will achieve excellence"

-Vince Lombardi

3 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Well in Miami this would never happen. You could be a consecutive F school but if your football team is winning you'll want to transfer over 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It wasn't that comment I was referring to 

The way I look at it that is the young adults choice, they decide how they pursue life as it's their life and no matter how low the odds are they should pursue their dreams, I think of this quote from a man who probably could forget more about football than any poster on here would have ever learned

"We will strive for perfection, we will not achieve it but in our pursuit of perfection we will achieve excellence"

-Vince Lombardi

Even at the pro level, Vince Lombardi was preparing his players for life out of football and history confirms that.   So you are missing the point Proseteye is making that striving to pursue your dreams thru any sport and not education is a recipe for failure.  Only 1.6% of high school players make it to the NFL and when your entire focus is on that dream, then what?  We want these kids to do better, especially those that are disadvantaged.  They deserve better, not being a hero for some coach on Friday night to end up under prepared for what life will send his way.

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

Well stated. Even the most athletically talented kids are one injury away from an end to their athletic career. Kids from every race and ethnicity have to be encouraged to strive to excel in academics. Even if they are talented and fortunate enough to have a successful career in professional football, a strong academic background will serve them well as they go through life. Our schools should be graduating well rounded students that are capable of being successful in the adult world. 

7 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Even at the pro level, Vince Lombardi was preparing his players for life out of football and history confirms that.   So you are missing the point Proseteye is making that striving to pursue your dreams thru any sport and not education is a recipe for failure.  Only 1.6% of high school players make it to the NFL and when your entire focus is on that dream, then what?  We want these kids to do better, especially those that are disadvantaged.  They deserve better, not being a hero for some coach on Friday night to end up under prepared for what life will send his way.

Thank you, Ray, for the heads up. I need to adjust some figures that you provided in order to reach a totally realist figure. 

Let's focus on football. There are 1,093,234 high school football players in the United States, and 6.5% of those high school players (or 71,060) will play in college. The drop off from college to the pros is even more dramatic: only 1.2% college-level players will get drafted to the NFL.

So, the actual percentage of high school players that make it to the NFL is 1.2% of 71,060 players or 853.  That percentage is .007% of all high school football players that make it to the NFL. When you figure there are only on average 279 players drafted into the NFL each season the chances of a high school player making the NFL is a lot lower than chances of being hit by lighting once in your lifetime. In other words your chances are somewhere between zero and not at all. A high school student, if applying themselves and doing well in high school academically, can go on to attain a college degree in any one of a million different areas of specialization. Upon graduation one is basically set for life simply by applying your knowledge and being dedicated. Football as a profession is basically an unattainable goal for all those but the very very few.  

28 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

We want these kids to do better, especially those that are disadvantaged.

Your comment is spot on. The time to get these kids, and especially those that have disadvantages, is in high school. I'm all for kids pursuing their athletic dreams, but it can't be at the expense of their academic education.