2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

5 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Thank you, Ray, for the heads up. I need to adjust some figures that you provided in order to reach a totally realist figure. 

Let's focus on football. There are 1,093,234 high school football players in the United States, and 6.5% of those high school players (or 71,060) will play in college. The drop off from college to the pros is even more dramatic: only 1.2% college-level players will get drafted to the NFL.

So, the actual percentage of high school players that make it to the NFL is 1.2% of 71,060 players or 853.  That percentage is .007% of all high school football players that make it to the NFL. When you figure there are only on average 279 players drafted into the NFL each season the chances of a high school player making the NFL is a lot lower than chances of being hit by lighting once in your lifetime. In other words your chances are somewhere between zero and not at all. A high school student, if applying themselves and doing well in high school academically, can go on to attain a college degree in any one of a million different areas of specialization. Upon graduation one is basically set for life simply by applying your knowledge and being dedicated. Football as a profession is basically an unattainable goal for all those but the very very few.  

Just adding to your post. The kid that succeeds academically has the power to change the future for his/her family for generations. 

20 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I'm not surprised after the Spring Jamboree. He should do well at West Oaks where expectations are not as high as at Dr Phillips.  

HornetFan, what can you tell me about West Oaks?   They don't appear to be members of the FHSAA (but if they are, they may be Independent).  MaxPreps lists them in the "freelance" classification.   They're currently scheduled to play "Young Kids in Motion," Orangewood Christian, Zarephath Academy and Orlando Chirstian Prep.  Oh, and Chiefland. 

I'm thinking this might be a bit of a culture shock from a kid who was the starting QB on an 8A team. 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And what exactly are you implying there with that statement?

The equity monsters reject the idea of merit and grading in general. So, a lower G.P.A. being the reason for denying a student the option to transfer would be fought by those people. Most likely, they'd be successful. After all, they are getting rid of standardized tests and admissions standards as we speak. 

2 hours ago, HornetFan said:

the "equity" monsters would fight it vigorously.

They would definitely fight it, if only for political purposes. What too many people are unwilling to acknowledge is that football will only get "a very talented, and lucky few" security for the rest of their lives. The "life span" in the NFL is somewhere less than 3 years. The kids that don't get lifetime security from an NFL career need an education to fall back on after football. 

Of course, the equity monsters don't want the kids to have to meet any objective standards in getting this education. All such standards have been deemed as "white supremacist". 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

HornetFan, what can you tell me about West Orange?   They don't appear to be members of the FHSAA (but if they are, they may be Independent).  MaxPreps lists them in the "freelance" classification.   They're currently scheduled to play "Young Kids in Motion," Orangewood Christian, Zarephath Academy and Orlando Chirstian Prep.  Oh, and Chiefland. 

I'm thinking this might be a bit of a culture shock from a kid who was the starting QB on an 8A team. 

I think you mean West Oaks, not West Orange. West Oaks is a small private school in Orlando. They play a schedule against similar small teams and as best I know, they are an independent. They already have a QB, but he hasn't seen the level of competition that Patti has at Dr Phillips. This is probably a good move for Patti because he should be able to excel at this level. 

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So when I bring up politics people ask "why is this allowed on a football board" but I guess it's only when it's something "certain people don't agree with"

I hope the mods on here eventually remove these posts like the board full of people who were complaining when I did and wanted it removed 

And that was just me commenting on the standing of the trainwreck that is my pathetic town which was meant to show if the people in charge in Lake City had higher than a 10 IQ this city wouldn't have rising crime and have to rely on tourism to break even every year 

Sometimes, politics becomes entangled with high school football. The rule allowing school choice- and thus transfers- being an obvious example. Discussion of mass transfers is a part of discussing high school football today, like it or not. And discussing mass transfers also necessitates political discussion, like it or not.

10 minutes ago, skyway said:

Of course, the equity monsters don't want the kids to have to meet any objective standards in getting this education. All such standards have been deemed as "white supremacist". 

I wish politicians would stop throwing the race card into every issue and let's concentrate on what is best for the kids' future. We need to educate and encourage all kids, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, etc, to be the best they can. And that's not just the best athlete. We need well rounded kids coming out of our high schools and colleges so they will be well prepared for what they will face in life over the next 40 years. 

31 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Well stated. Even the most athletically talented kids are one injury away from an end to their athletic career. Kids from every race and ethnicity have to be encouraged to strive to excel in academics. Even if they are talented and fortunate enough to have a successful career in professional football, a strong academic background will serve them well as they go through life. Our schools should be graduating well rounded students that are capable of being successful in the adult world. 

I'm going on 81. When I went to school for the most part everybody was well educated equally. The schools were disciplined and the parents backed the schools 100%. The teachers were qualified and dedicated. They usually stayed at one school their entire career. If any student failed a subject they were mocked by the other students until they came up to par. It was an embarrassment to get a failing mark in any subject. These days, not only are the schools not teaching effectively there is absolutely no discipline and the parents, if you can find them, could care less. I know first hand that most minority students are not being educated in the public school systems. I'm sorry to say this but they are not being taught any of the basic subjects so that they can effectively matriculate in society. The reasoning behind doing poorly in high school and college, if they are lucky enough to get in, is that they are not being forced to learn in elementary schools. Without strong elementary learning there is little chance of success in high school and further on. I feel so damn bad and am angry as can be that the school system is failing many students to include a great deal of minority students. This is probably why I am so adamant that students concentrate on academics instead of primarily football. Academics is the only real key to success. The more academics the better the success. And, I am including skilled trades as academics.  

17 minutes ago, Perspective said:

HornetFan, what can you tell me about West Oaks?   They don't appear to be members of the FHSAA (but if they are, they may be Independent).  MaxPreps lists them in the "freelance" classification.   They're currently scheduled to play "Young Kids in Motion," Orangewood Christian, Zarephath Academy and Orlando Chirstian Prep.  Oh, and Chiefland. 

I think his shock came at Dr Phillips when it became apparent that he would more than likely lose his starting QB position. Going from an 8A traditional power to a glorified Pop Warner team surprises me too. He is transferring late and this may have been what he and his parents perceived as his best opportunity to play his senior year. The move allows him to stay in Orlando and probably put up some big numbers, but it doesn't enhance his D1 prospects. To his credit, he wants to play and as a senior, this is probably his last chance.

24 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

We want these kids to do better, especially those that are disadvantaged.

Your comment is spot on. The time to get these kids, and especially those that have disadvantages, is in high school. I'm all for kids pursuing their athletic dreams, but it can't be at the expense of their academic education. 

Plus the argument is that this 15-18 year old has the RIGHT to make the choice that is best for him.  How many in that age group really make good decisions for themselves.  So what if your 12 year old wants to become an actor and drop out of traditional schooling to pursue that career.  This kind of thinking is the definition of insanity and if their are any adults left in the room please stand up.  We need rail guards to keep them on the road to success and overwhelmingly these transfers don't really accomplish that.  It teaches them all the wrong behaviors and that is why I am for returning to some semblance of the old rules to stop them from making bad decisions that inevitably they will regret in the future.  Our town is littered with these examples and I bet yours are too.

3 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

I'm going on 81. When I went to school for the most part everybody was well educated equally. The schools were disciplined and the parents backed the schools 100%. The teachers were qualified and dedicated. They usually stayed at one school their entire career. If any student failed a subject they were mocked by the other students until they came up to par. It was an embarrassment to get a failing mark in any subject. These days, not only are the schools not teaching effectively there is absolutely no discipline and the parents, if you can find them, could care less. I know first hand that most minority students are not being educated in the public school systems. I'm sorry to say this but they are not being taught any of the basic subjects so that they can effectively matriculate in society. The reasoning behind doing poorly in high school and college, if they are lucky enough to get in, is that they are not being forced to learn in elementary schools. Without strong elementary learning there is little chance of success in high school and further on. I feel so damn bad and am angry as can be that the school system is failing many students to include a great deal of minority students. This is probably why I am so adamant that students concentrate on academics instead of primarily football. Academics is the only real key to success. The more academics the better the success. And, I am including skilled trades as academics.  

I'm a fossil too; I'll be 77 in November. My experiences regarding education were similar to yours, and if you went to public school, there was no such thing as transferring for athletics. You went to the public HS for which you were zoned or you attended a private high school. Sports were a part of high school, but they weren't the end all that we now see at so many schools. I want every kid to succeed in life and education is a major component in that success. Even NFL superstars need a quality education. 

21 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Plus the argument is that this 15-18 year old has the RIGHT to make the choice that is best for him.  How many in that age group really make good decisions for themselves.  So what if your 12 year old wants to become an actor and drop out of traditional schooling to pursue that career.  This kind of thinking is the definition of insanity and if their are any adults left in the room please stand up.  We need rail guards to keep them on the road to success and overwhelmingly these transfers don't really accomplish that.  It teaches them all the wrong behaviors and that is why I am for returning to some semblance of the old rules to stop them from making bad decisions that inevitably they will regret in the future.  Our town is littered with these examples and I bet yours are too.

Plus the argument is that this 15-18 year old has the RIGHT to make the choice that is best for him.  How many in that age group really make good decisions for themselves. 

My 18 year old grandson just graduated from his local high school here in Central Florida. He was a starting DE and his team's leader in sacks with 15 this past season. He had the opportunity to play football at several D2 schools and he loves playing football, but he wanted to continue his education at the University of Florida. He said he'll train over the Fall and Winter and try to walk-on next Spring. His attitude is that he would love to play football at UF, but if he doesn't , he'll attend the games and get his undergraduate and law degrees at UF. I couldn't be more proud of his decision.  

6 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I'm a fossil too; I'll be 77 in November. My experiences regarding education were similar to yours, and if you went to public school, there was no such thing as transferring for athletics. You went to the public HS for which you were zoned or you attended a private high school. Sports were a part of high school, but they weren't the end all that we now see at so many schools. I want every kid to succeed in life and education is a major component in that success. Even NFL superstars need a quality education. 

You know who else values a good education?  Black mothers.  Being completely apolitical, I am not shilling for our Governor one way or the other,  but most political analyst believe he won because of his stance on school choice (For Academics) thru a voucher program (privates, charter, etc.)  Those very mothers voted for him in record numbers as they believe it is their choice to decide what is best for their kids and I support them 100%!

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Plus the argument is that this 15-18 year old has the RIGHT to make the choice that is best for him.  How many in that age group really make good decisions for themselves. 

My 18 year old grandson just graduated from his local high school here in Central Florida. He was a starting DE and his team's leader in sacks with 15 this past season. He had the opportunity to play football at several D2 schools and he loves playing football, but he wanted to continue his education at the University of Florida. He said he'll train over the Fall and Winter and try to walk-on next Spring. His attitude is that he would love to play football at UF, but if he doesn't , he'll attend the games and get his undergraduate and law degrees at UF. I couldn't be more proud of his decision.  

Was he blessed with good parenting advising him for those 18 years?

Just now, Ray Icaza said:

Was he blessed with good parenting advising him for those 18 years?

Yes, his Mom and Dad have a very successful legal practice here in Central Florida and education has always come first. If the grades weren't there, you were not going to play football. He and his younger brother have played football at the youth and high school level for over ten years, and because of their age differences, they never played on the same team. The older guy was playing at Bishop Moore (thus the "Hornet Fan" label). When his younger brother decided to attend their local HS, the older brother gave up a starting DE spot at BM to transfer in the middle of his junior year to his younger brother's public school because he wanted a chance to play on the same team as his brother. My daughter approved on one condition, he take Honors courses at the public school and maintain at least a B+ academic average. He graduated with a 3.73 and will be a freshman at UF this Fall. I'm a proud Grandpa. :)

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Yes, his Mom and Dad have a very successful legal practice here in Central Florida and education has always come first. If the grades weren't there, you were not going to play football. He and his younger brother have played football at the youth and high school level for over ten years, and because of their age differences, they never played on the same team. The older guy was playing at Bishop Moore (thus the "Hornet Fan" label). When his younger brother decided to attend their local HS, the older brother gave up a starting DE spot at BM to transfer in the middle of his junior year to his younger brother's public school because he wanted a chance to play on the same team as his brother. My daughter approved on one condition, he take Honors courses at the public school and maintain at least a B+ academic average. He graduated with a 3.73 and will be a freshman at UF this Fall. I'm a proud Grandpa. :)

That my friend, is the true meaning of success in life.  Are the ones closest to you a plus to society or a minus.   I don't believe many of our leaders care about our public schools and this is the real civil rights issue of our times.  They are letting kids from all backgrounds fail and I think they are perfectly okay with that.  Our countries future depends on an educated electorate and I've come to the conclusion that neither party is trying to truly strive for that; I think they are content with the way things are.  So, it is up to each individual family to see it for what it is and then do something about it.  I like you have grandchildren (5); my oldest played softball and as a 10th grader received a full ride to Rollins but for financial reasons later  switched to Florida Tech as their starting catcher.  I can't recall if she ever made a B.  She has graduated and furthering her education in the medical profession.  My 3 grandsons were all honor roll students and all recently enlisted in the military, while they figure out their best path forward. The youngest, she is a sophomore at Harmony HS and also a straight A student with college aspirations.  One thing for sure, it took much less effort to get the girls to focus on school than my 3 grandsons.  Go figure.

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

I wish politicians would stop throwing the race card into every issue and let's concentrate on what is best for the kids' future. We need to educate and encourage all kids, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, etc, to be the best they can. And that's not just the best athlete. We need well rounded kids coming out of our high schools and colleges so they will be well prepared for what they will face in life over the next 40 years. 

HF, you make it sounds so simple.   B)

18 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

That my friend, is the true meaning of success in life.  Are the ones closest to you a plus to society or a minus.   I don't believe many of our leaders care about our public schools and this is the real civil rights issue of our times.  They are letting kids from all backgrounds fail and I think they are perfectly okay with that.  Our countries future depends on an educated electorate and I've come to the conclusion that neither party is trying to truly strive for that; I think they are content with the way things are.  So, it is up to each individual family to see it for what it is and then do something about it.  I like you have grandchildren (5); my oldest played softball and as a 10th grader received a full ride to Rollins but for financial reasons later  switched to Florida Tech as their starting catcher.  I can't recall if she ever made a B.  She has graduated and furthering her education in the medical profession.  My 3 grandsons were all honor roll students and all recently enlisted in the military, while they figure out their best path forward. The youngest, she is a sophomore at Harmony HS and also a straight A student with college aspirations.  One thing for sure, it took much less effort to get the girls to focus on school than my 3 grandsons.  Go figure.

"My 3 grandsons were all honor roll students and all recently enlisted in the military, while they figure out their best path forward"

Your grandsons appear to have their heads on straight. I'll thank you for their service; you should be proud. Back in the dark ages (late '60s) during the Vietnam War, I was drafted into the US Army and spent two years in the Infantry; it helped make a man out of an immature boy. I took advantage of the GI Bill to be the first in my family to graduate college. It created an expectation in our family that if you want to succeed, you must have an education or a trade. That expectation has carried over to my grandsons. That is the same expectation that I would like to see instilled in all kids in high school. Play football if you're able, but more important, get an education.

Girls always seem to be easier to raise than boys. :lol:

15 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Heck, there isn't even consensus on what's best these days. We live in interesting times. 

It could be that simple if we could just get people to stop playing people off one another and spreading hate and discontent. Kids are great if we just give them a chance.

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

"My 3 grandsons were all honor roll students and all recently enlisted in the military, while they figure out their best path forward"

Your grandsons appear to have their heads on straight. I'll thank you for their service; you should be proud. Back in the dark ages (late '60s) during the Vietnam War, I was drafted into the US Army and spent two years in the Infantry; it helped make a man out of an immature boy. I took advantage of the GI Bill to be the first in my family to graduate college. It created an expectation in our family that if you want to succeed, you must have an education or a trade. That expectation has carried over to my grandsons. That is the same expectation that I would like to see instilled in all kids in high school. Play football if you're able, but more important, get an education.

Girls always seem to be easier to raise than boys. :lol:

Amen!!

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

I've been around plenty of kids, athletes and non athletes up here who fit that category

You want to know how my town handles it?

This town BELITTLES them

This town pushes people out and put down anyone who doesn't agree with them 

They don't support the kids and the people in charge of this school would rather back these POS snakes in this POS town then actually build for the future 

Over the past 12-24 months I've seen the true colors of this town and I'll hate these worthless pieces of shits that turned their back on me and turned their back on the people I care for the rest of my life 

I enjoy looking at people in the face and them not even knowing how much I hate them and they are too stupid to see it 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I've been around plenty of kids, athletes and non athletes up here who fit that category

This town BELITTLES them

They don't support the kids and the people in charge of this school would rather back these POS snakes in this POS town then actually build for the future 

Over the past 12-24 months I've seen the true colors of this town and I'll hate these worthless pieces of shits that turned their back on me and turned their back on the people I care for the rest of my life 

I enjoy looking at people in the face and them not even knowing how much I hate them and they are too stupid to see it 

That's a sad commentary for your area. It's not a healthy environment and if you feel that way, there has to be a powerful reason for you to stay there. Small towns can be wonderful places to raise a family, but not if the environment is toxic. 

During my working years, I moved my family many times to improve my career. We've lived in small towns and middle to large cities, all across the eastern half of this country. We never sacrificed our home environment for a job; for one position, I commuted over 50 miles each way for over 12 years to make sure my family lived in a nice town with good schools. Family first!

I hope things improve for you or at the very least, you find a more accepting area nearby your present location. Life is too short to let others make you feel miserable. 

53 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

This town BELITTLES them

Get involved, make a difference. Don't let them win.