2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

8 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Just read that the #1 high school recruit Quinn Ewers from South Lake HS, TX may forego his senior year and go straight to Ohio State U. so he can cash in on the NIL fiasco.   Flood gates may burst faster than I thought.

If he has enough credits to graduate, I have no problem with him doing this. One of my kids graduated a year early (he was not an athlete) as he had completed his high school curriculum. If you can, and are mature enough, there is nothing wrong getting a jump on like after childhood. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If he has enough credits to graduate, I have no problem with him doing this. One of my kids graduated a year early (he was not an athlete) as he had completed his high school curriculum. If you can, and are mature enough, there is nothing wrong getting a jump on like after childhood. 

And miss his Senior Prom?  B)

38 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

While Prom means a lot to most kids, it does not to all. It's on a case, by case basis.

In his case, he has always marched to his own drummer. He's lived in the Far East for over 11 years now, and at this stage it looks like he has made the Asian continent his home. 

Prom isn't all that and these days you can attend as a junior and even after graduating as long as you have a "date" and are under a certain age in most places 

6 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I was a 16 year old senior in high school and I didn't like being the youngest kid all the time, so I find it hard to agree with pushing a kid through school at too young an age. There's more to school than how quick can I get to college and a career thereafter. There are socialization skills that you acquire as you grow older. Each year of age is a big deal in high school. I think we should allow kids to experience and enjoy their high school years; they can never get them back once they have moved on.

30 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I was a 16 year old senior in high school and I didn't like being the youngest kid all the time, so I find it hard to agree with pushing a kid through school at too young an age. There's more to school than how quick can I get to college and a career thereafter. There are socialization skills that you acquire as you grow older. Each year of age is a big deal in high school. I think we should allow kids to experience and enjoy their high school years; they can never get them back once they have moved on.

Just to clarify, this particular player is already 18.  One can cherish those high school years like I do, but it doesn't mean the same for everyone especially in today's upside down world.

33 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Does it only develop in some areas because I know plenty of adults in my town who are probably worse at socialization then most high schoolers I'm around 

Lot of rude selfish people but hey that's why we got people here who cared more about fighting against wearing a mask to protect their fellow neighbors and were the same people bashing kids and undermining how tough having their senior year snatched from them truly was 

But it's possible it's just Lake City and these toxic imbeciles are an exception to the norm 

36 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Yeah it is and it's even tougher to learn that things can actually get worse 

Ik the community college I went to after high school was a downgrade from where I was a year earlier and it made me hate it more 

It's also tough when instead of being welcomed back when trying to help the alma mater the people with power turn their back on you and want you gone

5 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Just to clarify, this particular player is already 18.  One can cherish those high school years like I do, but it doesn't mean the same for everyone especially in today's upside down world.

I think I cherished my time in high school only for people to destroy most of those memories in the years since as I saw how big of snakes I was really surrounded by 

31 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

I have no knowledge or facts to support this, but it wouldn't surprise me if the parents held the kid back early on so that he would be one of the older kids in his class and, therefore, have a physical advantage.   Wouldn't be the first time a parent did such a thing. 

29 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Does it only develop in some areas because I know plenty of adults in my town who are probably worse at socialization then most high schoolers I'm around 

Lot of rude selfish people but hey that's why we got people here who cared more about fighting against wearing a mask to protect their fellow neighbors and were the same people bashing kids and undermining how tough having their senior year snatched from them truly was 

But it's possible it's just Lake City and these toxic imbeciles are an exception to the norm 

Dude, for your own mental health, it sounds like you need to get the hell out of Lake City and start over somewhere else.  Seriously. 

23 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Dude, for your own mental health, it sounds like you need to get the hell out of Lake City and start over somewhere else.  Seriously. 

Move to central Florida.  Our paper (Orlando Sentinel) also dislikes DeSantis as do reporters at Spectrum News and seem to agree with lot of your political views.  Might be best way to get rid of some of that anger.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

I have no knowledge or facts to support this, but it wouldn't surprise me if the parents held the kid back early on so that he would be one of the older kids in his class and, therefore, have a physical advantage.   Wouldn't be the first time a parent did such a thing. 

I don't think it's just a physical advantage that comes with age, even though that is often times true. Emotionally, girls seem to mature earlier than guys, and if you're one of the youngest guys, it can be a disadvantage socially in high school. I'm not a believer in rushing a kid through their high school years. Let them grow emotionally and physically during those years; adulthood with its responsibilities will come soon enough.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

I have to agree with Perspective, Columbia, Lake City doesn't sound like a place that is good for your mental health. Take it from someone who has moved more than a dozen times during my life, there are good people out there; you don't need to feel trapped in Lake City.

IMO every town, city, state, and country has their good places and their not so good places. Columbia Fan used to be, and maybe still is, an incredibly dedicated fan of the football team the Tigers. A few months ago something must have happened, and possibly over a period of time, to make him upset with the team and possibly those people involved with the team. He obviously knows football and is highly dedicated to the sport. Makes me think that he does a lot a research as he can produce facts and figures that I can only guess at. This being said, maybe Columbia Fan can share with us some of his frustrations in the environment with the team today and how things might have changed for the worse. A high school team cannot afford to lose a fan who is so loyal that he lived and breathed their every game. :unsure:

54 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I don't think it's just a physical advantage that comes with age, even though that is often times true. Emotionally, girls seem to mature earlier than guys, and if you're one of the youngest guys, it can be a disadvantage socially in high school. I'm not a believer in rushing a kid through their high school years. Let them grow emotionally and physically during those years; adulthood with its responsibilities will come soon enough.

No doubt girls mature faster.    And I agree there's no reason to rush kids through high school.   But even back to when I was in high school, there was always a family or two in town that wanted to give their kids a better chance of succeeding in high school sports (and possibly getting a scholarship), so they made the decision to hold their kids back and have them start kindergarten a year later than all the other kids their age (and I'm not just talking 'summer birthday' kids).   So, by the time junior year of high school rolled around, most of the kids were 16 or 17 and their kids already had turned 18.  

From an athletics standpoint alone, it may have been smart thinking.  That extra year of physical development can make a big difference for a teenage boy.  But, that's also the age that boys, especially, start to spread their wings and want to fly on their own.  Discipline - at school and at home - can become an issue. 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:40 PM, HornetFan said:

Chronological and emotional ages often don't correlate as well as you would think. In my kid's case, he skipped the fourth grade in elementary school, so he was always a year ahead. It got worse from there as in middle school he opted to do Algebra 1 and Geometry at Apopka high. So, he ended up graduating high school at 16 which made him the youngest in the class. 

At 22 he packed his bags and moved to Thailand. He has lived in Asia ever since, got married and is the father of a kid there. 

Reclassifying kids in middle school (aka holding them back a year) seems to be much more common now than before.  It used to be considered a Marv Miranovich "crazy dad" move but now it's much more strategic and works out for the kid more than it hurts.  If you can get your kid an extra year of physical maturity and maybe an extra year of starting on varsity that he wouldnt have had, it can be the difference between a D1 scholarship or not, especially for QBs.  I know an incoming 8th grader who is a great QB and already tall for his age at 5'10" who's dad will have him repeat the 8th grade next year so he can be a 4-year starter in HS.  This dad homeschools him and most of his day is training.  It does have a Marv Miranovich feel to it to be honest but if it gets him a D1 scholly then I cant argue with the method I guess.

It is unfair IMO to kids who dont reclassify, though.  One year is a huge difference in physical maturity.  I look at my son as an example.  He is a solid and strong 200 lb kid that would be completely unfair if he were to go against 8th graders again this year instead of moving on to 9th grade.  Alas he went off to varsity camp this summer with his new HS team and had to go against some incredible OL talent from other schools like Jesuit and Lake Wales and was overmatched against 300 lb D1 prospects.  Oh well, I assume this will only make him better in the long run.  

11 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Chronological and emotional ages often don't correlate as well as you would think. In my kid's case, he skipped the fourth grade in elementary school, so he was always a year ahead. It got worse from there as in middle school he opted to do Algebra 1 and Geometry at Apopka high. So, he ended up graduating high school at 16 which made him the youngest in the class. 

At 22 he packed his bags and moved to Thailand. He has lived in Asia ever since, got married and is the father of a kid there. 

Sounds like you have an independent son and apparently he was academically advanced for his age. I was also 16 as a senior; it wasn't always a good thing to be the youngest boy in my class, both physically and socially. It has to be tough for you as a grandparent having your son's family living on the other side of the world. 

3 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Sounds like you have an independent son and apparently he was academically advanced for his age. I was also 16 as a senior; it wasn't always a good thing to be the youngest boy in my class, both physically and socially. It has to be tough for you as a grandparent having your son's family living on the other side of the world. 

Yes, he always did his own thing, but usually consulted with us first and he would explain why he made the choices he did. We try and stay in touch via Discord and WeChat weekly, but finding the right time is often a problem as he lives 12 hours ahead of us. And, trying to communicate with your grandchild electronically is not the same as hugging him. 

And yes, there are physical and emotional issues being the youngest in your class. It helped that by the time he was 15 he was over 6ft and weighted about 200. 

Breaking news:

Hallandale's 4-star athletic trainer, Will "Tape" Williams announced he will be transferring to another school sometime before the new school year starts.   When questioned about his decision, Tape quietly replied:  "Everyone's gone.  I need ankles to tape and there's no one left here."  As to where Tape might land, he indicated that he would leave that up to his handlers. 

57 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Breaking news:

Hallandale's 4-star athletic trainer, Will "Tape" Williams announced he will be transferring to another school sometime before the new school year starts.   When questioned about his decision, Tape quietly replied:  "Everyone's gone.  I need ankles to tape and there's no one left here."  As to where Tape might land, he indicated that he would leave that up to his handlers. 

I question whether Hallandale can field a Varsity team after all those departures. I don't remember seeing a team lose that much talent in a three month period before.