2021 Transfer Thread

DisabledAccount

37 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Not really. How are you going to stop the privates from continuing to recruit from the Public Schools which makes many of the public schools non competitive now. Just because they are in their own separate Division doesn't mean they will not recruit from anywhere. Also, many students, that happen to be in sports, transfer to private schools for primarily academic reasons and sometimes for a different culture. Nothing can mitigate that and nothing should. 

I don't think you can legally stop private schools from poaching local public schools. You can possibly deny them participation in the FHSAA forcing them to form their own league or play the IMG's of the world, but unless they voluntarily agree to abide by the FHSAA transfer rules regarding recruiting, I don't think you can legally prevent them from recruiting athletes. The plus side is that they will only take so many per year and you won't have to play against them if they have their own league. Playing them would be your decision.

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I don't think you can legally stop private schools from poaching local public schools. You can possibly deny them participation in the FHSAA forcing them to form their own league or play the IMG's of the world, but unless they voluntarily agree to abide by the FHSAA transfer rules regarding recruiting, I don't think you can legally prevent them from recruiting athletes. The plus side is that they will only take so many per year and you won't have to play against them if they have their own league. Playing them would be your decision.

The privates are already in FHSAA. We can't just kick them out. What we need is a governing body that adopts and enforces rules that ensures a level playing field which is something we do not have; private or public.

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I don't think the privates would go along with it. 

I'm an old, retired grandpa who grew up on Long Island, in the NYC metropolitan area in the '50s and '60s. I base my suggested model on high school football from back then. High school football thrived in the area with primarily two organizations. The public schools operated much like we have now in Florida, with classifications based upon student enrollment, with districts based upon classification and locality. Most of the private schools back then were Catholic high schools and they played in the Catholic High School Athletic Association (CHSAA) that encompassed NYC and Long Island. The  CHSAA had no restrictions on attendance, location, or recruiting, and the CHSAA was and still is, a powerhouse HS football league. The public schools couldn't recruit so you had hometown teams. The private schools had little impact on the public schools because they didn't poach that many players from the publics. You even had some strong public school teams that would look forward to challenging heir local CHSAA team; some won, most didn't. They have co-existed for over 70 years using the separate league format.

10 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I'm an old, retired grandpa who grew up on Long Island, in the NYC metropolitan area in the '50s and '60s. I base my suggested model on high school football from back then. High school football thrived in the area with primarily two organizations. The public schools operated much like we have now in Florida, with classifications based upon student enrollment, with districts based upon classification and locality. Most of the private schools back then were Catholic high schools and they played in the Catholic High School Athletic Association (CHSAA) that encompassed NYC and Long Island. The  CHSAA had no restrictions on attendance, location, or recruiting, and the CHSAA was and still is, a powerhouse HS football league. The public schools couldn't recruit so you had hometown teams. The private schools had little impact on the public schools because they didn't poach that many players from the publics. You even had some strong public school teams that would look forward to challenging heir local CHSAA team; some won, most didn't. They have co-existed for over 70 years using the separate league format.

Here's the issue; Catholic schools are more common in places like NY. Here in Florida the FHSAA was formed back in the 1920s and private schools were allowed in because there just wasn't that many of them. Don't know how long you have lived in Florida but most issues, not just this one, have arisen because of rapid and uneven population growth in this state. It wasn't all that long ago Florida was a small Southern state.

25 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I don't think the privates would go along with it. 

If they refused to participate in a "privates only league" and insisted on remaining in the FHSAA, what would happen if no public school outside their assigned District would schedule them during the season? Would they be content with only being able to schedule their four District games each season? Sometimes compliance has to be obtained grudgingly.

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

So who goes in that league?  You got STA, AHP, Jesuit, Cardinal Gibbons, TCA, maybe Belen & Columbus.  Bolles and Pace aren't what they use to be. Bishop Moore is decent but not on the level as those above. At best you might have 10 top privates in the upper group.

What do you do with IMG?  Big class private?  If so, I'm looking forward to the day that STA tries to make the argument that they should go down to the small class private division (for fear that they'll never win another state title if they have to compete with IMG year in and year out).  B)

Just now, Hwy17 said:

Here's the issue; Catholic schools are more common in places like NY. Here in Florida the FHSAA was formed back in the 1920s and private schools were allowed in because there just wasn't that many of them. Don't know how long you have lived in Florida but most issues, not just this one, have arisen because of rapid and uneven population growth in this state. It wasn't all that long ago Florida was a small Southern state.

I moved to Florida in 1984. The transfer problem has only become a major issue recently because some coaches, parents and/or student athletes have seized upon a transfer policy intended to improve the academic opportunities for kids and have used it to strengthen their football programs through various methods of enticing kids to transfer, the "R" word. 

10 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I moved to Florida in 1984. The transfer problem has only become a major issue recently because some coaches, parents and/or student athletes have seized upon a transfer policy intended to improve the academic opportunities for kids and have used it to strengthen their football programs through various methods of enticing kids to transfer, the "R" word. 

Exactly what I have been saying all along. Everybody knows it's going on but most must be OK with it. Really sad. 

45 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

"Former LSU commit," "All American selection" and a has a 5-star QB slinging the ball to him . . .  hmmmm.  Something doesn't smell right.   Unless, of course, his family decided to leave the NOLA area and move to South Florida.  Would love to know the back story on this one. 

58 minutes ago, Perspective said:

"Former LSU commit," "All American selection" and a has a 5-star QB slinging the ball to him . . .  hmmmm.  Something doesn't smell right.   Unless, of course, his family decided to leave the NOLA area and move to South Florida.  Would love to know the back story on this one. 

There is a rumor that he lived with Arch and got caught stealing something from the house. That has not been confirmed but it is a rumor from people closer to the situation 

1 minute ago, SFLfootball said:

Well, all those transfers officially killed Hallandale. They are unable to field a team. Word is they thought they had enough guys even after the transfers to keep playing, but just found out a bunch aren’t eligible and folded. Heritage looking for a new week 1 to replace it. 

Omg are u serious?? They’re on are schedule for week 3