'Giant step backwards': Florida lawmakers eye NIL implementation delay

SportsNut25

Once a leader in the NIL movement, the state of Florida might be surrendering its spot at the movement's forefront. 

In a stunning change, Florida lawmakers quietly passed legislation to delay its implementation until 2022. 

UF's Dan Mullen called on DeSantis to veto the move, which is buried into an unrelated bill, saying, "We need to do what’s best for our student-athletes." 

Mike Norvell at FSU noted there is "no reason to wait to do the right thing" while Miami's Manny Diaz slammed the move as "unacceptable" and called on DeSantis to veto the decision.

"While the rest of the states are moving forward to follow OUR lead, we inexcusably take a giant step backwards," Diaz commented. 

Senator Travis Hutson told Sports Illustrated today he introduced the amendment at the behest of the legislature's education staff which claimed the NCAA would potentially penalize the state's student-athletes. SI noted the NCAA has verbally pledged to not penalize any student-athletes for the decisions of their state politicians. 

Just now, SportsNut25 said:

Yes, especially the way they went about it. I mean we weren't just one of however many states doing it, we were the leader. 

While I respect your intelligence and interest in the sport of football, I think you still have a lot to learn about politics as practiced here in the USA in the 21st century. 

I was not the least bit surprised. But they could have at least found a more transparent way to do it. And for the record, I am a supporter of student athletes being able to profit from their college football exploits. College football is very big business, and the workers (players) should be provided more than just a so called free education. The vast majority never go on to an NFL or even Canadian League career and many are not even able to attain a degree.

18 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

SI noted the NCAA has verbally pledged to not penalize any student-athletes for the decisions of their state politicians. 

Not to get off-topic, and definitely not to turn this into a political discussion, but isn't this exactly what the NCAA is doing to states that pass legislation that runs counter to their policies (i.e., transgender participation, etc.)? 

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

Not to get off-topic, and definitely not to turn this into a political discussion, but isn't this exactly what the NCAA is doing to states that pass legislation that runs counter to their policies (i.e., transgender participation, etc.)? 

I believe so, from what I have read in the media. 

Very excited to see the legislature reverse course -- granted, some of them blamed it on a "glitch". 

NIL date for Florida will be July 1, 2021 after all. 

Key notes from SI: 

- NCAA verbally pledged this morning they will not penalize any FL athletes regarding NIL 

- FL legislature passed legislation today that says if the NCAA penalizes FL institutions or players over state laws that FL schools will not be allowed to use state funds to pay for NCAA membership. Punishment includes relocation of championship events. The FL institutions may also be asked by the State to withdraw from the NCAA. 

22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Careful sportsnut

A certain "homer wishful official" may start complaining to Joshua about a political post if it doesn't support his views LMAO

The message by this poster is wrong as usual Sportsnut. Unlike some other posters to this message board, I look forward to what you have to add. Especially the thread about the Florida High School Football Players drafted into the NFL.  That was great work, and compliments to you for it. 

6 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

The message by this poster is wrong as usual Sportsnut. Unlike some other posters to this message board, I look forward to what you have to add. Especially the thread about the Florida High School Football Players drafted into the NFL.  That was great work, and compliments to you for it. 

What happened to not responding to my posts? But let me guess you think you can tell me where the hell I can post but you can do whatever you want? Who the hell do you think you are? 

I will be back to responding to every single one of your posts because no matter how much you try and whine to Joshua to get me removed because you can't fight your own battles you can't tell me who the hell or where the hell i can post

18 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:
17 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But let all the posters on here watch as the so called honorable clock manager whines to Joshua and begs me to be banned but will act like he can fight his own battles 

What happened to not responding to my posts? But let me guess you think you can tell me where the hell I can post but you can do whatever you want? Who the hell do you think you are? 

I will be back to responding to every single one of your posts because no matter how much you try and whine to Joshua to get me removed because you can't fight your own battles you can't tell me who the hell or where the hell i can post

Brian Allen and the coaching staff at Lake City Columbia have a great program. They certainly don't need any useless dead weight clinging to them and trying to anchor them down to the bottom. The Tigers are in good shape for years to come. 

4 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

@Jambun82 @SportsNut25was just putting the thread together for me, which is 1,000% appreciated. All those graphics and tweets being put together was done by yours truly here. Being a member of the FWAA allows me to get access deep into the College Press Box Portals to do this and put together graphics like this and graphics that are properly formatted for the three social platforms all through one single template that I have. No easy task. At one point I was backed up getting graphics out at the end of the 4th round because we had back-to-back-to-back picks. It can be stressful especially if you make one little mistake. But I have fun tracking and doing this each year and have done it each year basically since I launched the website in 2010. Eventually I will go back and research the history of past drafts to put together a more comprehensive list of where these guys came from that have played in the NFL from Florida or at least have been drafted. 

21 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

@Jambun82 @SportsNut25was just putting the thread together for me, which is 1,000% appreciated. All those graphics and tweets being put together was done by yours truly here. Being a member of the FWAA allows me to get access deep into the College Press Box Portals to do this and put together graphics like this and graphics that are properly formatted for the three social platforms all through one single template that I have. No easy task. At one point I was backed up getting graphics out at the end of the 4th round because we had back-to-back-to-back picks. It can be stressful especially if you make one little mistake. But I have fun tracking and doing this each year and have done it each year basically since I launched the website in 2010. Eventually I will go back and research the history of past drafts to put together a more comprehensive list of where these guys came from that have played in the NFL from Florida or at least have been drafted. 

Thank you for all of your great work Joshua.