Kissimmee Osceola Coach Retires

Coach

18 minutes ago, h8r said:

lots of DUDES there right now.  someone is getting gold or they let it fall apart.

be interesting to see who lands a prestigious job, this late in yr.  

I'd be interested to see how many kids decide to "transfer" once Spring is over.

I would be surprised if this wasn't a planned announcement and the administration has already selected a replacement.  Also would be surprised to see any of the players transfer because of it.  My interaction with Coach Nick since the announcement indicates everything will go smoothly with Kowboy football moving forward.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, Ray Icaza said:

Haven't heard that, he recently signed to be HC at a new private school.  For now, it is Eric Pinellas.

I would think that, if they were going to keep it in house, Pinellas would end up being the guy. I agree that they likely know who they want. It's a great job for someone. And speaking of Toho, I've heard that place is starting to sink already since Deas left. Their senior QB just transferred to Edgewater.

OHS has several good coaches on the defensive side of the ball and the defense is loaded for the upcoming year.  Promoting one of them would help with continuity and picking up an excellent play caller for the offense would seem like the way to go.   Watching them over the years, the best offensive coordinator I saw there was Ty Ensor; I think he might be the AD at East Ridge now.  Even when sometimes we didn't execute the play you had to admire how he had the opponents defense figured out.  They need someone like that as Coach Nick ran the offense and will be missed there.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:21 PM, Coach said:

I would think that, if they were going to keep it in house, Pinellas would end up being the guy. I agree that they likely know who they want. It's a great job for someone. And speaking of Toho, I've heard that place is starting to sink already since Deas left. Their senior QB just transferred to Edgewater.

Assuming the QB transferring is Chad Mascoe; highly rated, but he seems to search out a new team every year. I was wondering who Edgewater would recruit to fill their QB vacancy.

20 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Assuming the QB transferring is Chad Mascoe; highly rated, but he seems to search out a new team every year. I was wondering who Edgewater would recruit to fill their QB vacancy.

I was talking about the QB at Toho. He ended up at Edgewater. Their best LB ended up at Dr. Phillips. That program - which was on the rise and looking to compete with OHS - is back to square 1. I had only mentioned Toho because their former coach got mentioned as a potential replacement.

3 hours ago, Coach said:

I was talking about the QB at Toho. He ended up at Edgewater. Their best LB ended up at Dr. Phillips. That program - which was on the rise and looking to compete with OHS - is back to square 1. I had only mentioned Toho because their former coach got mentioned as a potential replacement.

Who is the Toho QB that is transferring to Edgewater? Mascoe took Osceola to 8A final against Seminole this past season. Toho backed out of Spring game with Apopka; what's happening to that team?

On 5/16/2021 at 4:24 PM, HornetFan said:

Do you have proof that Edgewater is recruiting? Are coaches sending texts to players? Are players showing up at the practices of teams and telling them that they need to come to Edgewater?

If your basing It off a school getting transfers than I should call up the FHSAA regarding Lee High School up in Jacksonville who got 5 transfers in a period of a week?

While you at it go ahead and say It with me

"Lee is Recruiting" 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Do you have proof that Edgewater is recruiting? Are coaches sending texts to players? Are players showing up at the practices of teams and telling them that they need to come to Edgewater?

If your basing It off a school getting transfers than I should call up the FHSAA regarding Lee High School up in Jacksonville who got 5 transfers in a period of a week?

"Lee is Recruiting" 

Do you have proof that Edgewater is recruiting?

I know two kids that were approached before last season by Edgewater players suggesting that they transfer to Edgewater.

Are coaches sending texts to players?

I would hope that Edgewater coaches are not dumb enough to invite kids and put it in writing.

Are players showing up at the practices of teams and telling them that they need to come to Edgewater?

See answer to 2nd question above. Recruiting among players is common during the 7v7 off-season.

Here in Orlando and I would imagine in other metropolitan areas within the state, these schools are close to each other, often only a few miles apart, and it's not unusual that the kids know and are friends with kids from other teams, especially those they play with on 7v7 all-star teams. They see the building of super teams in the NBA and other professional leagues and feel it's fine to recruit to build a dominant team. 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

"Lee is Recruiting" 

ColumbiaFan,

I'm just curious . . . did some kid who went to Lee steal your lunch money every day when you were younger?   :P

Four things in life I can guaranty:

1.  Death;

2. Taxes;

3. Jesse will find a way to bring Madison into the conversation; and

4.  In any topic involving Jacksonville schools, transfers, or recruiting, you'll find a way to take a shot at Lee.  

It's like it's personal or something.  

Just curious. 

6 minutes ago, Perspective said:

ColumbiaFan,

I'm just curious . . . did some kid who went to Lee steal your lunch money every day when you were younger?   :P

Four things in life I can guaranty:

1.  Death;

2. Taxes;

3. Jesse will find a way to bring Madison into the conversation; and

4.  In any topic involving Jacksonville schools, transfers, or recruiting, you'll find a way to take a shot at Lee.  

It's like it's personal or something.  

Just curious. 

No i just want people on here to quit bashing Programs they perceive to be cheaters and ignoring others because they either feel sorry for them being losers for a long time or ignore it because the media covers it up

People sit on here and talk about schools like STA, AHP, Cardinal Gibbons, TCA, and Bolles as if they are cheaters because they win yet ignore the fact that schools like DFB, Lee, Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, etc get more transfers every off-season but it's the big bad privates that are stealing all the players 

If people actually looked up the numbers on schools like STA and Cardinal Gibbons compared to Central and Northwestern it's staggering how many transfers the publics get but it's the privates Recruiting???

Same thing in Jacksonville, the teams up here in Jacksonville outside of a select few avoid playing TCA because they think they are recruiting and stealing players but yet Lee in one week got more transfers than TCA gets in an entire off-season yet the media will say Lee is winning with "ALL HOMEGROWN TALENT" which is completely false 

I want to see the media be held accountable for facilitating a lie for years and the posters who push this false narrative need to recognize their error and give the real recruiters their heckling instead of constantly blaming schools like TCA, STA and Cardinal Gibbons for their inability to win state titles 

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

"Lee is Recruiting" 

I see people continue to confuse recruiting, as in trying to market/persuade others to join, and bribing players. Every single program who's at all close to winning a state title and has at least one other school in the same general area has tried to sell the program in hopes of persuading more kids to come over. And I imagine that every competitive team has kids who reach out to good players at other schools and try to convince them to play with them. Some players/schools are more effective at this than others. It shouldn't be anything that people get upset about, or characterize as cheating...unless the selling/recruiting/persuading turns into harassment and/or bribing.

Fact is, Edgewater, at the moment, is a team that gets a lot of transfers to fill holes. It doesn't mean they are cheating. It just means they aren't doing this by always replacing graduating seniors with backups or JV players from the previous season. They aren't alone. In fact, such an approach is necessary to win a large class state title in a place like Florida.

7 minutes ago, skyway said:

I see people continue to confuse recruiting, as in trying to market/persuade others to join, and bribing players. Every single program who's at all close to winning a state title and has at least one other school in the same general area has tried to sell the program in hopes of persuading more kids to come over. And I imagine that every competitive team has kids who reach out to good players at other schools and try to convince them to play with them. Some players/schools are more effective at this than others. It shouldn't be anything that people get upset about, or characterize as cheating...unless the selling/recruiting/persuading turns into harassment and/or bribing.

Fact is, Edgewater, at the moment, is a team that gets a lot of transfers to fill holes. It doesn't mean they are cheating. It just means they aren't doing this by always replacing graduating seniors with backups or JV players from the previous season. They aren't alone. In fact, such an approach is necessary to win a large class state title in a place like Florida.

What? So a coach contacting a kid is fine as long as they ain't trying to pay the player?

And claiming "every good program is recruiting" is hilarious

Does that mean all the schools in GA and TX are doing that or is that just some half-ass attempt to try and further discredit any team in Florida who can be successful year to year by implying they only get that good by snatching players from someone else's development and hard work?

The word that people Mix up is transfers and Recruiting, any attempt to persuade a player whether coach or player is recruiting but not every transfer is the result of Recruiting no matter how many people on this board choose to say this whether unintentionally from not really knowing or intentionally to try and force some agenda but to claim that every good team is recruiting and therefore cheating is off base and disrespectful to the programs out there doing things the right way 

19 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Who is the Toho QB that is transferring to Edgewater? Mascoe took Osceola to 8A final against Seminole this past season. Toho backed out of Spring game with Apopka; what's happening to that team?

Tyler Wesley had been a two-year starter at Toho, but I don't think he'd play QB there. Toho lost Coach Deas - who was super popular on that campus - to Feltrim Academy. A bunch of players have transferred out since, but I'd imagine that as soon as the coach left those kids were looking for the door. I would think Mascoe would stay at OHS since his dad played there and he left a great program to come play at Osceola. They are LOADED this year.

6 hours ago, Coach said:

Tyler Wesley had been a two-year starter at Toho, but I don't think he'd play QB there. Toho lost Coach Deas - who was super popular on that campus - to Feltrim Academy. A bunch of players have transferred out since, but I'd imagine that as soon as the coach left those kids were looking for the door. I would think Mascoe would stay at OHS since his dad played there and he left a great program to come play at Osceola. They are LOADED this year.

Osceola was handled rather easily by Seminole in last season's 8A state championship game. I'm sure they would love to reverse that score with Seminole this year, but they face several challenges in this year's schedule including Cocoa, Manatee, Dr Phillips, and West Orange, before they can even think about returning to the state championship game.

21 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What? So a coach contacting a kid is fine as long as they ain't trying to pay the player?

And claiming "every good program is recruiting" is hilarious

Does that mean all the schools in GA and TX are doing that or is that just some half-ass attempt to try and further discredit any team in Florida who can be successful year to year by implying they only get that good by snatching players from someone else's development and hard work?

The word that people Mix up is transfers and Recruiting, any attempt to persuade a player whether coach or player is recruiting but not every transfer is the result of Recruiting no matter how many people on this board choose to say this whether unintentionally from not really knowing or intentionally to try and force some agenda but to claim that every good team is recruiting and therefore cheating is off base and disrespectful to the programs out there doing things the right way 

At this point, it seems likely I am wasting my time. But, I'll give it one more shot, just in case anyone reasonable is reading.

I am unable to find any instances of me claiming any coaches have directly contacted specific players. Coaches and schools market themselves to the community in general. Coaches may contact other coaches or parents, I suppose. Or kids talk to other kids. But, results and style of play market themselves. Coaches need not contact specific players to end up with a disproportionate share of talent. The kids tend to find a way to play for the programs/coaches they think are best for them.

I'm speaking primarily about Florida. The only way to build a team that can compete for a title when some schools end up with a disproportionate share of talent- either through transfers OR simply having kids position themselves to be a part of the program in 9th grade- is to match that effort. Did, say, Lake Minneola end up with a disproportionate share of talent for its area? I don't know, maybe not. But they did lose 46-0 to Miami Central. Simply developing a better game plan, or catching some more breaks, wouldn't have been enough to make that a close game. In every other instance I can think of, teams getting close to state titles have several transfers. That applies even to long-time powers, who tend to end up with a disproportionate share of talent right away with 9th graders in the first place. 

Again, I think you're struggling immensely to distinguish between recruiting and bribing. It just appears that you are incapable of seeing the difference. 

Most, though not all, transfers are a result of a player deciding that the new school/team represents a better opportunity/playing experience for them. They don't need a coach to contact them to come to this conclusion most of the time. The kids talk to each other. They know what it's like at the other schools in town, what the depth chart looks like, etc.

Earlier comment about Chad Mascoe transferring is correct.  He doesn't jump schools year to year.  He was born in Kissimmee and spent several years here before his family moved to Thomasville, GA.   As a top prospect he did attend IMG Academy his sophomore year but he is back in Kissimmee and will graduate here.  In an attempt to level the playing field for all schools the FHSAA allows kids to transfer for virtually any reason to another school; for sports, academics, safety and so on.  When teams pick up players to "fill holes" in their roster, whether you can prove it or not in my view it is recruiting.  A kid doesn't just transfer to another school for the above mentioned reasons and magically fills a roster need.  Don't know how it happens, but when it happens yearly filling key positions something else is going on.  Proving wrong doing is literally impossible, but anyone thinks it just always works out for these top schools is kidding themselves.  And no, schools with good solid programs don't necessarily rely on these tactics to field excellent teams.  Just extremely hard to win the big dance.

On 5/18/2021 at 8:14 PM, skyway said:

At this point, it seems likely I am wasting my time. But, I'll give it one more shot, just in case anyone reasonable is reading.

I am unable to find any instances of me claiming any coaches have directly contacted specific players. Coaches and schools market themselves to the community in general. Coaches may contact other coaches or parents, I suppose. Or kids talk to other kids. But, results and style of play market themselves. Coaches need not contact specific players to end up with a disproportionate share of talent. The kids tend to find a way to play for the programs/coaches they think are best for them.

I'm speaking primarily about Florida. The only way to build a team that can compete for a title when some schools end up with a disproportionate share of talent- either through transfers OR simply having kids position themselves to be a part of the program in 9th grade- is to match that effort. Did, say, Lake Minneola end up with a disproportionate share of talent for its area? I don't know, maybe not. But they did lose 46-0 to Miami Central. Simply developing a better game plan, or catching some more breaks, wouldn't have been enough to make that a close game. In every other instance I can think of, teams getting close to state titles have several transfers. That applies even to long-time powers, who tend to end up with a disproportionate share of talent right away with 9th graders in the first place. 

Again, I think you're struggling immensely to distinguish between recruiting and bribing. It just appears that you are incapable of seeing the difference. 

Most, though not all, transfers are a result of a player deciding that the new school/team represents a better opportunity/playing experience for them. They don't need a coach to contact them to come to this conclusion most of the time. The kids talk to each other. They know what it's like at the other schools in town, what the depth chart looks like, etc.

Funny you mentioned Lake Minneola.  They are a good example of what transferring talent can do to a program.  Minneola has been average since they opened until 2 years ago.  2 years ago they got about 10 transfers and they lost in the 3rd round.  After another influx of talent they made it to the state finals.  Unfortunately for them the Dade County transfers of Miami Central are a little better than the Lake County transfers.

12 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Earlier comment about Chad Mascoe transferring is correct.  He doesn't jump schools year to year.  He was born in Kissimmee and spent several years here before his family moved to Thomasville, GA.   As a top prospect he did attend IMG Academy his sophomore year but he is back in Kissimmee and will graduate here.  In an attempt to level the playing field for all schools the FHSAA allows kids to transfer for virtually any reason to another school; for sports, academics, safety and so on.  When teams pick up players to "fill holes" in their roster, whether you can prove it or not in my view it is recruiting.  A kid doesn't just transfer to another school for the above mentioned reasons and magically fills a roster need.  Don't know how it happens, but when it happens yearly filling key positions something else is going on.  Proving wrong doing is literally impossible, but anyone thinks it just always works out for these top schools is kidding themselves.  And no, schools with good solid programs don't necessarily rely on these tactics to field excellent teams.  Just extremely hard to win the big dance.

the fhsaa allowing transfers for any reason is a mistake.

the schools fix(at least in most areas ) is the 95% capacity rule.  if a school is at 95% capacity, they will not take any transfers, unless its a move in.  

in orange county for several years since the rule has been in place, there was only 2 or 3 schools that was below 95%.  east river, jones, wekiva and edgewater.  Im out of the loop a bit on their numbers, but I am assuming they are still the only ones.  

but,  good luck proving anything to anyone.  fhsaa has flat turned ablind eye.  

Agreed, FHSAA legalized this problem so they wouldn't be in the middle of arbitration.   Example of kids that transferred from Toho proves my point.  The QB, Wesley Tyler would have a short drive to OHS but we are not in the need for a QB where Edgewater is; we are 3 deep at the position, obviously he might be better than our 2nd or 3rd stringer but maybe not.  Same at LB, OHS doesn't have an issue so the other kid transferred to Dr. Phillips.  Those are Orlando schools almost 20 miles away, not even in the same county.  Any kid not zoned to our school that plays for us is usually a legacy deal, their dad, granddad, uncle, etc. was a Kowboy and wants his kid to carry on the tradition.  We just by happen chance didn't get 3 offensive lineman which we could use this year as that is where we graduated key players.   That does happen at the big metro schools around the state, ie. Jax, Tampa, south Florida and Orlando.