2021 State Championships Site

muckboy561

On 5/25/2021 at 11:37 AM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well most of the fans think the FHSAA should try and beg sites and then pay the sites to make money on the game lol

In other states the people who have say over the large stadiums want to host it, in Florida the people with the power want to maximize their profit at the expense of the kids

Daytona Beach has signed three separate multi year contracts with the FHSAA to host the championships. And in two of those contracts the city ended them prematurely because they lost their ass ($$$) on the deals. Cities "PAY" to host. And if city's don't get large dollars from business sponsorships, sports authorities, or city/county tourism funds, attendance alone never pays the bills. In the first 6yrs Daytona hosted the games I never saw any home faces in the crowd. Pitiful !       

2 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Daytona Beach has signed three separate multi year contracts with the FHSAA to host the championships. And in two of those contracts the city ended them prematurely because they lost their ass ($$$) on the deals. Cities "PAY" to host. And if city's don't get large dollars from business sponsorships, sports authorities, or city/county tourism funds, attendance alone never pays the bills. In the first 6yrs Daytona hosted the games I never saw any home faces in the crowd. Pitiful !       

From the way the local Daytona paper described it, sounds like attendance (which totaled a combined 25.5K for five games) wasn't the only reason the involved parties were eager to terminate the most recent contract: 

Parking and traffic issues were the main sources of frustration. Spectators arrived late for some games due to the gridlock up and down LPGA Boulevard, a two-lane road and the stadium’s only point of entry.

The Class 8A final was delayed more than 10 minutes due to scoreboard malfunctions. Panaggio estimated the clock failed on 10 separate occasions during the week.

Cell phone and internet service was often non-existent anywhere within the venue’s immediate vicinity.

22 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

From the way the local Daytona paper described it, sounds like attendance (which totaled a combined 25.5K for five games) wasn't the only reason the involved parties were eager to terminate the most recent contract: 

Parking and traffic issues were the main sources of frustration. Spectators arrived late for some games due to the gridlock up and down LPGA Boulevard, a two-lane road and the stadium’s only point of entry.

The Class 8A final was delayed more than 10 minutes due to scoreboard malfunctions. Panaggio estimated the clock failed on 10 separate occasions during the week.

Cell phone and internet service was often non-existent anywhere within the venue’s immediate vicinity.

Well then that should eliminate any consideration for SFL because their traffic is far more congested at their best traffic flow than Daytona ever is at their worst traffic flow 

3 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

The State Championship games hosted by Daytona Beach in 2019 were a complete and total disaster. The "company" charged with hosting the games, DME, gifted the rights to Daytona/Municipal Stadium back to the city of Daytona Beach after this debacle.   

Daytona Municipal Stadium does look like a pretty nice stadium and seems to have plenty of parking. However,  I can see where LPGA Blvd, pretty much being the only entrance and exit street, could pose a problem for the thousands attending. The city should be able to figure something out, though. It's not like rocket science. After all it's the home stadium for Bethune-Cookman College and both Mainland HS and Seabreeze HS play their home games there. Do they have the same problem?  ;) 

Orlando City Soccer Stadium is the ideal location for state championship games: centrally located in the middle of the state, easy access by two major highways; plenty of parking. lots of hotels and other entertainment and dining venues to give people other things to do while waiting to attend games, and it's a new stadium with a capacity of about 20,000: not too big for HS championship games.

21 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Daytona Municipal Stadium does look like a pretty nice stadium and seems to have plenty of parking. However,  I can see where LPGA Blvd, pretty much being the only entrance and exit street, could pose a problem for the thousands attending. The city should be able to figure something out, though. It's not like rocket science. After all it's the home stadium for Bethune-Cookman College and both Mainland HS and Seabreeze HS play their home games there. Do they have the same problem?  ;) 

Maybe Dan in Daytona can tell you how many people usually attend a Mainland High School Football game lol.  

6 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Maybe Dan in Daytona can tell you how many people usually attend a Mainland High School Football game lol.  

Jam, you got a better (field level) view then I have up in the nose bleed seats. Depending on the opponent Mainland generally has a few hundred home fans on average with a high of a couple thousand in certain big games. 

On 5/27/2021 at 11:33 PM, Proseteye said:

Since construction in the late 1980's stadium access has never changed or been improved. Two lane LPGA BLVD, an I-4 and I-95 connector, is the ONLY way to get in and out of the ball field. Before Fr. Lopez High opened across the street, with available payed parking spaces, Bethune-Cookman fans risk life and limb parking on the road shoulder with 50mph traffic blowing by mere inches away. Sell outs have always been a dangerous situation. I even wrote a short op-ed in the local newspaper following Bethune-Cookman first soldout Homecoming game at the stadium in it's first year about the potential danger I saw while driving by. Many, many times fans don't make it to their seats until the middle of the 2nd quarter. And this has been going on for more then 30 yrs. No bull$hit....my city...sad but true.    

The problem is Florida doesn't have a good attendance crowd for high school football games. 2020 was just bad all around because of Covid but in 2019 besides from 5A which we know Northwestern travels and now is in 6A none of the other games were packed. Personally speaking I think Orlando was the best spot to host the games. Amusement Parks, Restaurants, Hotels just plenty of family oriented things to do. Not to mention Dr. Phillips, Apopka, Jones, Edgewater, Boone, Lake Brantley and Seminole naming a few cause of proximity to the stadium and who's been to state would pack the house. I wish Florida could be like California or Texas 

2 hours ago, FBGUY1989 said:

The problem is Florida doesn't have a good attendance crowd for high school football games. 2020 was just bad all around because of Covid but in 2019 besides from 5A which we know Northwestern travels and now is in 6A none of the other games were packed. Personally speaking I think Orlando was the best spot to host the games. Amusement Parks, Restaurants, Hotels just plenty of family oriented things to do. Not to mention Dr. Phillips, Apopka, Jones, Edgewater, Boone, Lake Brantley and Seminole naming a few cause of proximity to the stadium and who's been to state would pack the house. I wish Florida could be like California or Texas 

Considering the level of talent on the field, it's a shame that high school football does not attract better attendance in Florida. This is probably due to the fact that the state's population is not stable in most of the metro areas along with the fact that there are just a number of other attractions competing for attention. In the 24 seasons I have watched high school football in Florida I have seen dozens of players that eventually went on to the NFL when they were playing at the high school level. 

18 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Jam, you got a better (field level) view then I have up in the nose bleed seats. Depending on the opponent Mainland generally has a few hundred home fans on average with a high of a couple thousand in certain big games. 

Dan, I think that it can be assumed that the two-lane road on LPGA Blvd. is not that much of a problem for Mainland or Seabreeze home games.  

1 hour ago, blackmagic said:

I wish Gainesville would dump some money into Citizens Field... I think it could be a great location. 

Talk about a parking nightmare. The stadium itself is large enough and can probably hold 5,000 or so. But the parking area can barely hold maybe 200 cars and I don't think there is room enough to build a large enough parking lot. At least when I've parked there. However, I actually like that stadium as everyone can see the field clearly from every position. 

20 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Talk about a parking nightmare. The stadium itself is large enough and can probably hold 5,000 or so. But the parking area can barely hold maybe 200 cars and I don't think there is room enough to build a large enough parking lot. At least when I've parked there. However, I actually like that stadium as everyone can see the field clearly from every position. 

Florida state is fine . Madco back on the big stage.  Dynasty continues...

3 hours ago, blackmagic said:

I wish Gainesville would dump some money into Citizens Field... I think it could be a great location. 

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

Tiger stadium in Lake City can hold 7500 which is more than gene cox or citizens and holds better parking than either 

And hell no citizen's field isn't good enough, horrific setup and no parking. It's the same reason GHS shouldn't be allowed to host softball districts as they have no parking and only bathroom is a walk to the school

That oversized wishful metro grew too fast and now can't fit any parking there 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Florida state is fine . Madco back on the big stage.  Dynasty continues...

Shouldn't you be worrying about how long and how many players get suspended because you all couldn't control your emotions

Because there will be suspensions for that fight as it should. Teams have gotten big suspensions for less than what Madison did in that fight

3 hours ago, Proseteye said:

I said dump some money.. lol.. they throw parking garages up like they free in Gainesville. Parking garage and add seating on the endzones. I think would be a good choice if they this. 

On 5/29/2021 at 10:00 PM, Jambun82 said:

Dan, I think that it can be assumed that the two-lane road on LPGA Blvd. is not that much of a problem for Mainland or Seabreeze home games.  

Except when both are pretty good at the same time. In particular early 2000's with Xavier Lee at QB for Seabreeze (FSU) and Vince Wilson and Travis Roland leading Mainland, cars were still trying to come in at halftime. Think that crowd was 6-7K. Yearly, Bethune-Cookman's homecoming, at 10,000-15,000, is a disaster waiting to happen.   

51 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

I said dump some money.. lol.. they throw parking garages up like they free in Gainesville. Parking garage and add seating on the endzones. I think would be a good choice if they this. 

I've always thought both bands should be seated in the end zones for all high school foootball games. You run for City Commissioner and I've got the first $150 for your campaign.  

On 5/28/2021 at 5:57 PM, HornetFan said:

Orlando City Soccer Stadium is the ideal location for state championship games: centrally located in the middle of the state, easy access by two major highways; plenty of parking. lots of hotels and other entertainment and dining venues to give people other things to do while waiting to attend games, and it's a new stadium with a capacity of about 20,000: not too big for HS championship games.

A couple more factors in favor of Orlando City Soccer Stadium are an abundance of reasonably priced hotel rooms and they already hold a college bowl game there each year. Have you ever had to get a hotel room in Gainesville or Tally on a Gator or Nole football game weekend? Prices are ridiculously high and require a multiple days reservation. The only reason not to have the games in Orlando is if the stadium owners aren't interested.