FLORIDA PRE SEASON TOP 20

THIS_IS_DILLARD

So as we are wrapping up preseason matchups & going into the off season where a lot can change. But if I could give my VERY FIRST “FLORIDA TOP 20 PRESEASON RANKINGS” on what I believe to be RiGHT NOW!, it Would look like this. Feel free to critique & add your opinions down below, I welcome it. @ColumbiaHighFan2017class @KeemD321 @VeniceIndiansFootball @561_Fan @badbird @MC Rockets @DarterBlue2

#1. ST THOMAS 

#2. MIAMI CENTRAL

#3. AMERICAN HERITAGE 

#4. MIAMI NORTHWESTERN 

#5. CARDINAL GIBBONS

#6. SEMINOLE

#7 TCA 

#8 JONES

#9 EDGEWATER 

10. VENICE 

(11-20)

#11 DILLARD

#12 COLUMBUS

#13 JESUIT

#14 DEERFIELD BEACH

15 NICEVILLE

16. COCOA

17. BLOOMING-DALE

18. CHAMINADE 

19. TRU PREP

20. BERKLEY PREP. 

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

So as we are wrapping up preseason matchups & going into the off season where a lot can change. But if I could give my VERY FIRST “FLORIDA TOP 20 PRESEASON RANKINGS” on what I believe to be RiGHT NOW!, it Would look like this. Feel free to critique & add your opinions down below, I welcome it. @ColumbiaHighFan2017class @KeemD321 @VeniceIndiansFootball @561_Fan @badbird @MC Rockets @DarterBlue2

#1. ST THOMAS 

#2. MIAMI CENTRAL

#3. AMERICAN HERITAGE 

#4. MIAMI NORTHWESTERN 

#5. CARDINAL GIBBONS

#6. SEMINOLE

#7 TCA 

#8 JONES

#9 EDGEWATER 

10. VENICE 

(11-20)

#11 DILLARD

#12 COLUMBUS

#13 JESUIT

#14 DEERFIELD BEACH

15 NICEVILLE

16. COCOA

17. BLOOMING-DALE

18. CHAMINADE 

19. TRU PREP

20. BERKLEY PREP. 

It’s a good list, although I likely wouldn’t have put STA at number 1. I don’t think they’re going to be over-the-top loaded this upcoming season. Also, I personally would have put Northwestern a spot ahead of Central, just based on the past few seasons of success the Bulls Have had over the Rockets. 

This is indeed a good list. I would have AHP ahead of MC for the time being. Maybe even ahead of STA. Both MC and AHP are in 5a so they could be on a collision course with each other. MNW has had success against MC, but I think their losses to graduation were a bit more severe. However they always seem to find a way to get it done vs MC. We will see in 2021.

I will give you input on where you put some of the Central Florida teams. First, Osceola needs to be at least on par with Edgewater. They beat them legitimately in their spring game. Second, on paper, and based on what I saw in their spring jamboree, this Apopka team has the potential to be its best in many years. Now with that said, they were raw in the spring game, but they were missing a few key pieces of the puzzle and were transitioning to a new offense. Third, if you are going to rank Jones 8, then West Orange deserves to be somewhere in the top 20. Jones beat them by a score in a back and forth game that could have gone either way if you look at the video. 

Finally, I seriously question the teams you have ranked from 15-20. Yes, good arguments can be made for some of them. But others don't belong and that will become apparent very soon into the new season.  

8 minutes ago, MC Rockets said:

This is indeed a good list. I would have AHP ahead of MC for the time being. Maybe even ahead of STA. Both MC and AHP are in 5a so they could be on a collision course with each other. MNW has had success against MC, but I think their losses to graduation were a bit more severe. However they always seem to find a way to get it done vs MC. We will see in 2021.

MC Rockets, long time no see!  it’s great to hear from you again! Yes, this is indeed a good list. I would make some changes to it myself

1 minute ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

MC Rockets, long time no see!  it’s great to hear from you again! Yes, this is indeed a good list. I would make some changes to it myself

Yes, good to hear from you as well. In my opinion, the only teams I would remove are Bloomingdale, TRU, and Berkeley. Not sure who I would replace them with though. But all in all a good list.

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

It’s a good list, although I likely wouldn’t have put STA at number 1. I don’t think they’re going to be over-the-top loaded this upcoming season. Also, I personally would have put Northwestern a spot ahead of Central, just based on the past few seasons of success the Bulls Have had over the Rockets. 

Got u got u I put central ahead tho off how the bulls looked finishing the season last year they barely escaped a non football school in key west then was held to 3 vs AHP which is nothing to hang your hat on but still.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I will give you input on where you put some of the Central Florida teams. First, Osceola needs to be at least on par with Edgewater. They beat them legitimately in their spring game. Second, on paper, and based on what I saw in their spring jamboree, this Apopka team has the potential to be its best in many years. Now with that said, they were raw in the spring game, but they were missing a few key pieces of the puzzle and were transitioning to a new offense. Third, if you are going to rank Jones 8, then West Orange deserves to be somewhere in the top 20. Jones beat them by a score in a back and forth game that could have gone either way if you look at the video. 

Finally, I seriously question the teams you have ranked from 15-20. Yes, good arguments can be made for some of them. But others don't belong and that will become apparent very soon into the new season.  

Thanks for that it was very informative that’s why this post was made for to add and give opinions especially in the counties where it’s your expertise 

12 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Agree with this analysis with regards to the top teams in central Florida.  Apopka looks to be better than Edgewater, Jones or Seminole and Osceola is in the mix.   Time will tell.

I would not have TCA that high nor would I have Niceville either. I believe this is the weakest the north has been in quite some time and do not see any top 20 overall teams as of right. Potentially TCA, Niceville, BT, and Bolles could make it in but I do not think it’s likely. 

TCA will win state but that’s because 2A is not particularly strong. They lost a lot of talent to graduation and didn’t add any playmaker transfers. 

3 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

I would not have TCA that high nor would I have Niceville either. I believe this is the weakest the north has been in quite some time and do not see any top 20 overall teams as of right. Potentially TCA, Niceville, BT, and Bolles could make it in but I do not think it’s likely. 

TCA will win state but that’s because 2A is not particularly strong. They lost a lot of talent to graduation and didn’t add any playmaker transfers. 

Great insight that’s why I made this post to find out more about the up north teams, these rankings were more so of what the teams did last year coming into this off season. 

I don't see how you can come up with a top 20 statewide at this time. We don't even know what effect transfers will have have on many teams. Also, here in Central Florida, some teams were playing without key players, some that have transferred in and others not playing Spring games as a precaution to allow additional time for players to recover from injury. I attended the Jamboree between Apopka, Winter Park, and Dr Phillips and what I saw were three teams missing key pieces that more than likely would have had a major impact on the scrimmage. Apopka, missing transfer QB Andrew McClain from Seminole who had to sit out because of transfer rules, was one-dimensional on offense, throwing only two passes in three quarters of varsity play (2 quarters against DP and 1 quarter against WP). Winter Park was missing Terrance Gibbs, one of top RB's in the state as they held him out as a precaution to allow his ACL, injured last August, to continue to heal. DP was without their top OT who sat out the game. It was football and it was entertaining; but it wasn't regular season, Fall football. My guess is that Spring games across the state were played under similar conditions. It's too early to rank teams.

3 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I don't see how you can come up with a top 20 statewide at this time. We don't even know what effect transfers will have have on many teams. Also, here in Central Florida, some teams were playing without key players, some that have transferred in and others not playing Spring games as a precaution to allow additional time for players to recover from injury. I attended the Jamboree between Apopka, Winter Park, and Dr Phillips and what I saw were three teams missing key pieces that more than likely would have had a major impact on the scrimmage. Apopka, missing transfer QB Andrew McClain from Seminole who had to sit out because of transfer rules, was one-dimensional on offense, throwing only two passes in three quarters of varsity play (2 quarters against DP and 1 quarter against WP). Winter Park was missing Terrance Gibbs, one of top RB's in the state as they held him out as a precaution to allow his ACL, injured last August, to continue to heal. DP was without their top OT who sat out the game. It was football and it was entertaining; but it wasn't regular season, Fall football. My guess is that Spring games across the state were played under similar conditions. It's too early to rank teams.

I agree which is why this wasn’t a list of any indication of what I believe teams will be come kick off classics. 

this list was just based off if I was going off last year I would rank them like this. 

3 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I agree which is why this wasn’t a list of any indication of what I believe teams will be come kick off classics. 

this list was just based off if I was going off last year I would rank them like this. 

The list is heavily biased in favor of South Florida teams. If the list is really based off last year's performance, Seminole, as last year's 8A state champion, with a loaded team returning, should be ranked much higher than #6. I'm not a Seminole HS fan, but they went undefeated last season (Varsity, JV, and Freshmen). They graduated a few stars that blew out a very good Osceola team in the state championship game, but they have already replaced those players with very talented kids. Also, Osceola returns a very talented team and didn't even make the list. 

I'm not yet able to make a case for Lakeland, as the jamboree offered mixed results and too many missing parts. But, if Apopka really is Orlando metro's best team, the 'Naughts will have their toughest regular season schedule in a really long time, if ever. Road games at Lakewood, Lake Gibson, Lake Wales and Bartow to go with the home game vs. Apopka. It's a good slate for a young, talented team that figures to get a lot better as the season progresses.

43 minutes ago, skyway said:

I'm not yet able to make a case for Lakeland, as the jamboree offered mixed results and too many missing parts. But, if Apopka really is Orlando metro's best team, the 'Naughts will have their toughest regular season schedule in a really long time, if ever. Road games at Lakewood, Lake Gibson, Lake Wales and Bartow to go with the home game vs. Apopka. It's a good slate for a young, talented team that figures to get a lot better as the season progresses.

44 minutes ago, skyway said:

Apopka is a solid, well coached team, but I don't think they are Orlando Metros best team. Their new QB, Andrew McClain, a transfer from Seminole, couldn't play in the Spring Jamboree, and Apopka's offense was one-dimensional throwing two passes over 3/4 of varsity play. Andrew is a good runner and a decent passer, but the reason he's at Apopka is that they had two very good QB's at Seminole and Andrew's playing time would have been severely limited. He made the right decision to transfer. It remains to be seen if Apopka will be a one-dimensional running team on offense, relying on small RB's running sweeps. Teams with talent like Seminole will take the sweep away and force Apopka to pass the ball. Then, you have go against the Henderson twins at DB, both will multiple D1 offers.