Columbiafan a look back at your preseason poll from last year

badbird

I actually have a top 50 at this stage but ik with player movement a lot of teams will shift spots between now and August but having a baseline early means I can adjust over the course of the off-season and force myself to justify the changes as I change them during the off-season versus just starting from scratch in the preseason

I wouldn't say I rank based off reputation, after all I was one of few people to "low-ball" Lakeland in the poll last year according to some people but my preseason rankings for them was probably about where they belonged at the finish so you could say I accuracy projected them and stood my ground when many critized the position

But a team like Central, AHP, STA, Northwestern, etc are safe picks in the top 5-10 teams because they always seem to get talent either through transfers or in the program and rarely Lose games so picking them as high spots especially as I watch them get off-season transfers it's safe to rank them high 

Others where information isn't as available it becomes a high risk, high reward so I wouldn't say pollsters rank on reputation but some teams are safe picks so they always end up getting ranked 

12 hours ago, Perspective said:

Guys, I'm not an administrator, but it sure seems it's getting a little personal in here.  Let's all chill a little. 

Here's my take on polls, for whatever it is worth:

The pollster needs to be upfront and honest about what he or she is ranking.   Are they ranking how good the teams are at the time the poll comes our or where the pollster expects them to be at the end of the season? 

For me, it's way, way, way too early to rank teams now.  But that's just my personal opinion.  Spring season just ended and the summer transfer season has barely started.  Especially at the high school level, the movement of 2 or 3 top-notch players can easily turn a team from a district runner-up into a deep playoff run team.  Or vice versa. 

Truth be told, polls (high school or college) really shouldn't come out until we're about 4 weeks into the season.   Too often, teams are ranked based on reputation.  Sometimes they live up to the hype; sometimes they don't.   But let the teams get a few games under their belt before ranking them.  

From my standpoint, the only value that pre-season polls have is to bring attention to the sport, the teams and the media outlet/person who has done the poll.   Hey, look at us . . . debating on whether certain teams should or should not be ranked.   Not necessarily a bad thing; is what it is. 

As for this thread, when I saw Columbia's poll from last year, I think he did a pretty good job.  Now, taking nothing away from him, if I did a poll right now and simply listed the teams that won state titles this past year (or, because of Covid), the year before, and put all those teams in my Top 25, my poll probably wouldn't look all that bad at the end of year.  Occasionally, a perennial power will have an off year (see Armwood) or a top-10 team for the last decade will lose their coach and several starters and go from the penthouse to the outhouse (see Plant), but for the most part (and especially now with school choice), the good teams likely will stay good and the bad teams will continue to struggle. 

And the same teams will end up in most polls year in and year out.  

You might not be an Administrator, but you always provide a sense of logic and reason. That must be the lawyer in you, but I wish that I could get you to agree with me more! lol  

11 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

You might not be an Administrator, but you always provide a sense of logic and reason. That must be the lawyer in you, but I wish that I could get you to agree with me more! lol  

Lawyer,  what you mean,  seriously we have a lawyer on this forum??

Little late to the party but popping in now with a friendly reminder to, as per Josh's rules, uphold civility and watch the language.  

Carry on ....

P.S. If anyone has concerns about a thread getting dicey, please feel free to PM me or use the report features on here. I'm not always on here and when I am I don't always check through each thread. 

18 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well if Seminole had done more in past seasons for me to trust them I would have ranked them higher 

They burned me as many times as DFB has and if DFB didn't get so many transfers I wouldn't have anything to do with them in the poll because they always disappoint me 

You have to do your homework. 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:30 AM, badbird said:

1:    7A St Thomas Aquinas State Champs

2:   6A Miami Central State Champs

3:  5A Miami Northwestern 3-2 lost in second round

4: 7A Edgewater 8-3 state runner up

5:  8A Columbus undefeated

6:  8A Miami Palmetto 5-2 lost in semis 
7: 4A Cardinal Gibbons state champ

8: 5A American Heritage Plantation state champ

9: 3A Chaminade Madonna state runner up

10:  8A Deerfield Beach 4-1

11: 7A Armwood 5-4 COMPLETE MISS

12: 8A Osceola state runner up

13: 8A Oakleaf 7-4 lost by 44 in the playoffs.  Complete Miss

14: 8A Bartram Trail 10-2 lost 3rd round

15: 4A Miami Booker T Washington 3-4 complete miss

16: 5A Rockledge 7-2 lost 3rd round

17: 4A Cocoa 9-1 lost 3rd round

18: 5A Orlando Jones 9-1 lost in semis

19: 6A Tampa Gaither 10-1 lost in 3rd round

20: 8A Dr Phillips 5-2 lost in first round.  Miss

21: 8A Apopka lost in semis

22: 3A Miami Edison 4-2

23: 7A Venice 

24: 6A Lake Gibson 11-2

25:  7A Tampa Bay Tech 8-4

Teams outside your top 25 you missed

Seminole 37

Trinity Christian 49

Jesuit, Lake Minneola, Bolles Not Ranked

By way of rankings accuracy this is pretty good @badbird

22 hours ago, skyway said:

In a couple of decades worth of observing both the Florida Varsity board and this one, it's always amazed and amused me how small the list of regulars engaging is, and yet how abrasive the people ostensibly interested in growing the board are. Seemed like 80% of Mr High School comments were argumentative, personal attacks or responding to personal attacks. We see much of the same with the regulars here. In fact, I expect to get some insults for this very comment :rolleyes:

YOU CRAP HOLE Piece of POO, INGRATE MOFO!  There I fulfilled the last part for you.  

Now to the rest of it I totally agree with you and I gain lots of amusement by the general butthurtedness of people over message board beef.

11 hours ago, Jesse said:

Lawyer,  what you mean,  seriously we have a lawyer on this forum??

Being popular belief there are a lot of highly intelligent highly degreed and highly wealthy in the $$$, life, and job categories on these boards and others.... Its not just a bunch of backwater fans, coaches and parents.

Not to confirm or deny but we do have several Lawyers, Drs, professors, scientists etc who have frequented these boards over the years.

1 hour ago, badbird said:

You have to do your homework. 

I did 

I spoke to people in central Florida about Seminole but I don't just copy other people's opinions, I listen to observations and then apply it how I feel it works and I made the mistake of not thinking Seminole was as good as some of my sources tried to convince me 

As for TCA I knew they would be good but I wasn't sure how high I could rank them coming off a 5-6 season 

Ironically I'm having the same debate over Columbia and combined with them finishing 5-6 and their lackluster spring game performance and questions about the OL while I think they have top 25 potential there is no way I'll be ranking them that high in the preseason poll

Columbia will have to earn their way into the top 25 over the Course of the season but with games against Bolles and TCA they certainly have the opportunity to do just that

1 hour ago, peezy28 said:

Being popular belief there are a lot of highly intelligent highly degreed and highly wealthy in the $$$, life, and job categories on these boards and others.... Its not just a bunch of backwater fans, coaches and parents.

Not to confirm or deny but we do have several Lawyers, Drs, professors, scientists etc who have frequented these boards over the years.

So perspective is a lawyer.