2021 Schedule Breakdowns

SportsNut25

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Scheduling is extremely tough and I agree with you that WP has a balanced schedule overall; especially when you don't know which teams may surprise you in the new year.  But to your question of naming local schools in central Florida with stronger out of district schedules I would start off with Apopka. Similar degree of difficulty in district, but picked up not only Edgewater also West Orange, DP and Lakeland.  West Orange in a tougher district has Apopka, Boone, Wekiva and upcoming Ocoee.  DP same tough district has Apopka and Cocoa.  OHS has Cocoa and Manatee.  So yes, there are teams that have a more challenging out of district schedule when you look.

I would start off with Apopka. Similar degree of difficulty in district, but picked up not only Edgewater also West Orange, DP and Lakeland. 

West Orange and Lakeland are good opponents. DP looked terrible in Spring Jamboree against Apopka and Winter Park; not overly impressed with DP. Colonial, Lake Brantley, Edgewater, and Evans are also on WP's schedule. This may be slightly, if at all, more difficult than WP schedule.

West Orange in a tougher district has Apopka, Boone, Wekiva and upcoming Ocoee. 

Boone is also on WP's schedule. Ocoee has to be "upcoming", because there is no "down" from where they were last season. You fail to mention they also play East River, Celebration, and Olympia (three gimme games for WO). 

DP same tough district has Apopka and Cocoa.

After seeing DP in Spring Jamboree, they may win only 3 games this season (Celebration, Olympia, and Windermere).

OHS has Cocoa and Manatee 

OHS has Lake Nona, Edgewater, and University on schedule, all common opponents with WP. Olympia, Windermere, Celebration, and University won't even offer token resistance. DP shouldn't be much trouble either.

Sorry, but I don't see how any of these schedules are more difficult than WP's with possible exception of Apopka, with WO and Lakeland on their schedule. 

7 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I would start off with Apopka. Similar degree of difficulty in district, but picked up not only Edgewater also West Orange, DP and Lakeland. 

West Orange and Lakeland are good opponents. DP looked terrible in Spring Jamboree against Apopka and Winter Park; not overly impressed with DP. Colonial, Lake Brantley, Edgewater, and Evans are also on WP's schedule. This may be slightly, if at all, more difficult than WP schedule.

West Orange in a tougher district has Apopka, Boone, Wekiva and upcoming Ocoee. 

Boone is also on WP's schedule. Ocoee has to be "upcoming", because there is no "down" from where they were last season. You fail to mention they also play East River, Celebration, and Olympia (three gimme games for WO). 

DP same tough district has Apopka and Cocoa.

After seeing DP in Spring Jamboree, they may win only 3 games this season (Celebration, Olympia, and Windermere).

OHS has Cocoa and Manatee 

OHS has Lake Nona, Edgewater, and University on schedule, all common opponents with WP. Olympia, Windermere, Celebration, and University won't even offer token resistance. DP shouldn't be much trouble either.

Sorry, but I don't see how any of these schedules are more difficult than WP's with possible exception of Apopka, with WO and Lakeland on their schedule. 

You just made my point when you say DP will only win 3 games.  Thought we were talking about scheduling, not where each team will end their season.  My argument is WP on paper looks like the underdog in only one game.  You already picked WO to beat Osceola and they aren't probably favored against Cocoa away and a toss up with Manatee away.  Plus you conveniently left out Jones and as I said earlier I quit looking for others although they are out there.

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

That’s a really good schedule. What privileges and resources does Jones have to secure that type of schedule that Winter Park is lacking? Besides the desire to schedule tough teams?

Jones should walk all over DP, lose to IMG, have a good physical game with Edgewater, and no comment on Palmetto because I know nothing about them. Jones has looked to schedule up in recent years because their 5A opponents were, for the most part, lacking. Moving up to 6A should offer better opponents. Jones is travelling weeks 2 through 6; that's a bit unusual and may have some bearing on how they scheduled. No coach in his right mind wants to start a season with five straight road games.

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I don’t that many schedules right now because it’s freaking a huge secret or you have to pay for it. The FHSAA is one of the worst association in the country in regards to doing what is best for fans, players and coaches. 

The schedules are no secret if you're willing to press a few keys on your computer. Most schedules can be found on Hudl and MaxPreps. Lacking the ability to find comparative schedules, it sounds like your comments were coming straight out of your butt. Most schools in Orlando piece their out of district schedules together playing pretty much the same teams in comparable classifications. They realize that their fans may not want to drive around the state on a Friday night if it's possible to attend games around Orlando. 

4 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Hopefully, you get the picture so I'll stop looking.

Jones has been very good for several years and are moving up to 6A this Fall. They have been beating up 5A schools for the past 5 years and playing stiffer competition in non-district games. In their new 6A classification, they'll have to schedule more schools from outside Orlando because 6A is almost non-existent in Orlando. Jones does have a tough schedule this Fall.

14 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

The schedules are no secret if you're willing to press a few keys on your computer. Most schedules can be found on Hudl and MaxPreps. Lacking the ability to find comparative schedules, it sounds like your comments were coming straight out of your butt. Most schools in Orlando piece their out of district schedules together playing pretty much the same teams in comparable classifications. They realize that their fans may not want to drive around the state on a Friday night if it's possible to attend games around Orlando. 

Can't really rely on hudl and maxpreps for schedules. Best source is honestly team twitter pages and websites.

29 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

You just made my point when you say DP will only win 3 games.  Thought we were talking about scheduling, not where each team will end their season.  My argument is WP on paper looks like the underdog in only one game.  You already picked WO to beat Osceola and they aren't probably favored against Cocoa away and a toss up with Manatee away.  Plus you conveniently left out Jones and as I said earlier I quit looking for others although they are out there.

How did I make your point with DP? WP doesn't play DP in the regular season; though they did play in their Spring Jamboree. You listed DP as a tough opponent on other teams' schedules and I suggested they may not be that tough this year. Yet, you want to credit them as a strong opponent on schedules listed above. I commented on Jones in your post above. 

6 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Can't really rely on hudl and maxpreps for schedules. Best source is honestly team twitter pages and websites.

Hudl and MaxPreps are not that far off, and it's a lot less work than trying to seek out a team's schedule on Twitter. When a team plays in a good sized city like Orlando, most of the teams in classifications 8A and 7A are going to have many common opponents on their schedules.  

6 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Hudl and MaxPreps are not that far off, and it's a lot less work than trying to seek out a team's schedule on Twitter. When a team plays in a good sized city like Orlando, most of the teams in classifications 8A and 7A are going to have many common opponents on their schedules.  

The reason I say a teams page is a more viable source than hudl or maxpreps is because the official schedules are up on their pages for the most part and maxpreps doesn't have full schedules and wrong teams as well. It's a better source once it hits end of July and August 

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

So Jones can play top teams all over the state but Winter Park can’t? Gotcha. Hell WP can’t even get the top teams outside of Edgewater to play them apparently. 

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

The reason I say a teams page is a more viable source than hudl or maxpreps is because the official schedules are up on their pages for the most part and maxpreps doesn't have full schedules and wrong teams as well. It's a better source once it hits end of July and August 

It's a better source once it hits end of July and August

I follow Winter Park's Twitter page and they have next season's schedule posted. For WP schedule, Hudl and MaxPreps are accurate as of right now. It would be nice if more teams kept their Twitter pages up to date; some teams are very informative while others seem reluctant to putting much information out there. As a big HS and college football fan, I like to try and stay abreast of what happening with the teams I follow. 7v7 fills a big void in the off-season.

33 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

So Jones can play top teams all over the state but Winter Park can’t? Gotcha. Hell WP can’t even get the top teams outside of Edgewater to play them apparently. 

If the teams in Orlando get too good, WP may have to travel to Tampa Bay to find some a wealth of weak football teams. What was that glorified Pop Warner team that your root for? :lol:

9 hours ago, HornetFan said:

If the teams in Orlando get too good, WP may have to travel to Tampa Bay to find some a wealth of weak football teams. What was that glorified Pop Warner team that your root for? :lol:

As I said at the beginning, WP has a balanced schedule because they have teams that will push them some rather than teams that they will put a running clock on.  But the fact remains outside Edgewater, they should beat all those other teams by 2-3 TD's and a few others will have a running clock.  Your earlier statement on how they were 9-2 last year with only losses to Edgewater and Apopka is correct.  However, those were the only two top ranked teams they played and as you described our loss to Seminole "They  Got Blown Out".  I look at our Seminole loss as a learning experience as we weren't picked to be there at the start of the season, midway thru or at the end.  By no one, not Joe Pinkos, Joshua Wilson, ranking services, Sentinel and everyone on this forum.  Our fan base felt we were a year away from a deep run so we overachieved and though I readily admit Seminole was the better team our five turnovers was the killer, especially the 2 unforced ones killing drives in the red zone. The 87 yard pick six was a 14 point swing and the fumbled snap inside the 5 cost us another 7.  Over 80% of our top players were 10-11th graders and return.  We would love to play WP, a 30 minute drive for our fan base rather than Manatee a 2 hr drive or Cocoa over an hour.  My participation into this discussion was driven by you saying to name 1 team in central FL with a tougher schedule and I gave you five (despite our differences in opinion).  And I didn't even include Seminole which this Forum describes as a RPI Delight, whereas they describe WP as Middle of the Road.

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

As I said at the beginning, WP has a balanced schedule because they have teams that will push them some rather than teams that they will put a running clock on.  But the fact remains outside Edgewater, they should beat all those other teams by 2-3 TD's and a few others will have a running clock.  Your earlier statement on how they were 9-2 last year with only losses to Edgewater and Apopka is correct.  However, those were the only two top ranked teams they played and as you described our loss to Seminole "They  Got Blown Out".  I look at our Seminole loss as a learning experience as we weren't picked to be there at the start of the season, midway thru or at the end.  By no one, not Joe Pinkos, Joshua Wilson, ranking services, Sentinel and everyone on this forum.  Our fan base felt we were a year away from a deep run so we overachieved and though I readily admit Seminole was the better team our five turnovers was the killer, especially the 2 unforced ones killing drives in the red zone. The 87 yard pick six was a 14 point swing and the fumbled snap inside the 5 cost us another 7.  Over 80% of our top players were 10-11th graders and return.  We would love to play WP, a 30 minute drive for our fan base rather than Manatee a 2 hr drive or Cocoa over an hour.  My participation into this discussion was driven by you saying to name 1 team in central FL with a tougher schedule and I gave you five (despite our differences in opinion).  And I didn't even include Seminole which this Forum describes as a RPI Delight, whereas they describe WP as Middle of the Road.

Three of the four teams on our schedule you denigrate, Olympia, University and Windermere we can do nothing about (district games).

13 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Three of the four teams on our schedule you denigrate, Olympia, University and Windermere we can do nothing about (district games).

Regarding DP, my opinion is they will be more like 6-4 as opposed to 3-7.  Don't put alot of stock in KOC much less spring game that you only played partial games with 2 different teams.  You don't know what a coaches main objective was for that game as far as evaluating new talent, so still think they will be a very good team.  We were expected to be very good in 2019 but got blown out by Lakeland in the KOC; easy to write us off.   But we improved game by game (LB's) and played #! ranked Columbus tough (20-17 L) then won 2 playoff games including DP at their place before losing to Steinbrenner in the 3rd round; a game we were favored and should have won.

People tend to change the subject and go way off topic when they have no defense of their argument.

My intention was not to ever belittle or even criticize Winter Parks schedule. I don’t know anything behind the scenes. Some athletic programs and county’s run completely different rules. Hillsborough County has their incompetent county AD make the schedules. You only have a small window to schedule your own game here or there. And if you don’t then he does it for you. 

Point is there are a ton of factors involved behind the scenes. But none of that matters when posting your opinion about the final product. If you post the schedule and ask “is this a tough schedule”?? I say no. It’s not. The teams outside of Edgewater on not strong on a state scale. They may be quality area teams, but that is irrelevant. I look at it from a state lens. Would this schedule be tough for the elite teams. No, not at all. But that’s ok 

And bringing up Wharton is childish and lame. I didn’t choose to go to Wharton. My parents lived in their zone and couldn’t afford to send me to a private school. So I rode the cheese wagon everyday. Lol. So the high school Someone attended 20 years ago has no bearing on how they view high school football as a whole today. That’s pure ignorance. 

Can you only comment on college football teams if you went to Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson? If you graduated an Ivy League school and said Oklahoma and Norte Dame were overrated should people say you don’t know what your talking about because you went to Harvard? Doesn’t that sound fu#%^ng stupid??

3 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

People tend to change the subject and go way off topic when they have no defense of their argument.

My intention was not to ever belittle or even criticize Winter Parks schedule. I don’t know anything behind the scenes. Some athletic programs and county’s run completely different rules. Hillsborough County has their incompetent county AD make the schedules. You only have a small window to schedule your own game here or there. And if you don’t then he does it for you. 

Point is there are a ton of factors involved behind the scenes. But none of that matters when posting your opinion about the final product. If you post the schedule and ask “is this a tough schedule”?? I say no. It’s not. The teams outside of Edgewater on not strong on a state scale. They may be quality area teams, but that is irrelevant. I look at it from a state lens. Would this schedule be tough for the elite teams. No, not at all. But that’s ok 

As I said earlier, I rank their schedule as good knowing you think it is a "D" which I don't.  But it certainly doesn't have many top 10 teams from any classification, that's undeniable.  When the other members argument went to naming another team with a better schedule in central Florida, that was easy to debunk. 

2 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

And bringing up Wharton is childish and lame. I didn’t choose to go to Wharton. My parents lived in their zone and couldn’t afford to send me to a private school. So I rode the cheese wagon everyday. Lol. So the high school Someone attended 20 years ago has no bearing on how they view high school football as a whole today. That’s pure ignorance. 

Can you only comment on college football teams if you went to Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson? If you graduated an Ivy League school and said Oklahoma and Norte Dame were overrated should people say you don’t know what your talking about because you went to Harvard? Doesn’t that sound fu#%^ng stupid??

Just present your argument in a logical way and forget about trying to shame someone.

14 hours ago, HornetFan said:

How did I make your point with DP? WP doesn't play DP in the regular season; though they did play in their Spring Jamboree. You listed DP as a tough opponent on other teams' schedules and I suggested they may not be that tough this year. Yet, you want to credit them as a strong opponent on schedules listed above. I commented on Jones in your post above. 

Because DP's coach should know what they should look like from last year to this, just like WP's coach should.  WP has no top 10 (8A) teams in their district so they picked up one top ten 7A (Edgewater).  When DP already has 2 top 10 preseason 8A in their district, they went out and added at least 2 more in Apopka (8A) & Cocoa. Not sure if their opener is against Timber Creek or Jones as Hudl and Max Preps aren't on same page.  If it is Jones that gives them a total of 5 state ranked teams compared to 1 for Winter Park.  Difficulty of schedule versus what coaches expectations are isn't even close.

49 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Because DP's coach should know what they should look like from last year to this, just like WP's coach should.  WP has no top 10 (8A) teams in their district so they picked up one top ten 7A (Edgewater).  When DP already has 2 top 10 preseason 8A in their district, they went out and added at least 2 more in Apopka (8A) & Cocoa. Not sure if their opener is against Timber Creek or Jones as Hudl and Max Preps aren't on same page.  If it is Jones that gives them a total of 5 state ranked teams compared to 1 for Winter Park.  Difficulty of schedule versus what coaches expectations are isn't even close.

That's the main reason why I said twitter pages are the most logical sources right now. Not tryna stoke the fire but it's crazy that a 4A school has atleast 4 8A squads that should be ranked pretty high in that classification. 

4 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Your earlier statement on how they were 9-2 last year with only losses to Edgewater and Apopka is correct.  However, those were the only two top ranked teams they played and as you described our loss to Seminole "They  Got Blown Out".

WP did get blown out by Edgewater and Apopka last season. WP played a one dimensional offense all last season relying on the running game as their main weapon and for the most part, they got away with it. A strong defense shut down their opponents. It worked against all but Edgewater and Apopka, but those two took away the run and forced WP to pass the ball. WP's starting QB was undersized and it was apparent that he has trouble seeing down field, especially over a tall DL. WP actually led Apopka at the half despite playing with a depleted DL; their edge rusher DE who led the team in sacks broke his arm the game before and their other starting DE was playing with an injured shoulder. WP's QB threw three bad interceptions downfield in the 2nd half; it was obvious he couldn't see his receivers. On top of that, he fumbled the ball away twice in that 2nd half trying to scramble. The 2nd half was a disaster and the final score was lopsided. You can't have 5 turnovers in a game, no less in one half, and expect to win a game. Credit the Apopka coaches for taking advantage of WP's weaknesses.

My participation into this discussion was driven by you saying to name 1 team in central FL with a tougher schedule and I gave you five (despite our differences in opinion). 

I believe I asked for several examples of tougher schedules. I never implied that WP's schedule was the toughest in Orlando area. The teams you listed had common opponents with WP. That's how it works out in Orlando area; there's a lot of common opponents. It's rare that class 8A teams in the area don't play many of the same teams.

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

After seeing DP in the Spring Jamboree (one varsity quarter against WP {12-0} and a varsity half against Apopka {21-0}), I would expect that every team on DP's schedule, with the exception of the three I mentioned previously, will be a challenge for DP. Their offense looked terrible and their defense was non-existent. Playing a tough schedule if you can't beat those teams, proves nothing except you scheduled out of your league. 

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

I agree, but WP is being criticized for their schedule when admittedly, with the exception of Timber Creek, they are in a weaker district, something they don't control. Their non-district schedule isn't weak.