WHAT THE HECK iS REALLY GOING ON WITH BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS??!?

THIS_IS_DILLARD

A few years ago we kind of briefly touched on this topic, but I really had to go look at the numbers to see just How Frequently Broward county (PUBLIC) Schools actually hoist the FHSAA trophy in football. 

when you look at counties with the most talent across the entire state BROWARD COUNTY will come in No Less Then #2 in the ENTIRE state only behind Miami but yet these numbers Below Are VERY alarming. 

since 1986-2020 these are your BROWARD COUNTY (PUBLIC SCHOOL) champions.

1986 - Dillard Beat Tarpon Springs

1989 - Dillard Beat Merritt island 40-14 

2002- Blanche ely beat Wharton high 

2009 Miramar defeated DEland 

2015 Flanagan beat Osceola 

2016 - NONE

2017 - NONE 

2018- NONE 

2019 - NONE 

2020- NONE 

So from 1986-2020 there has only been 5 Broward county public school football titles (SMH) which two was from Dillard. 

After 1989 There were only 2 Broward county public schools to make the state championship game from 1990-2000 & the two teams were 

1992- Dillard who was beaten by manatee 

2000- Dillard lost 10-6 to Palm Bay 

before 1986 the last broward county public school to hoist a Football title was 

Hollywood Hills who defeated Raines 22-9 in 1973!!!!!

so again I ask, WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON with The public schools in broward county !???? I would love feed back from you guys on this topic @badbird @VeniceIndiansFootball @ColumbiaHighFan2017class @DarterBlue2 @561_Fan @MC Rockets @muckboy561

1. The powerful private schools over the past 20+ years have taken the cream of Broward's talent.

2. Much of Broward's talent has gone to teams in Northwest Dade County.

3. The instability of the coaching staffs at most of the Broward Public schools. 

I believe the above accounts for most of Broward's public school woes in the past 20+ years. I won't comment on pre 1996, as that was before I started following the game closely. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

1. The powerful private schools over the past 20+ years have taken the cream of Broward's talent.

2. Much of Broward's talent has gone to teams in Northwest Dade County.

3. The instability of the coaching staffs at most of the Broward Public schools. 

I believe the above accounts for most of Broward's public school woes in the past 20+ years. I won't comment on pre 1996, as that was before I started following the game closely. 

It’s crazy bro because some will say More talent come out of broward then it do Miami but yet when you look at the “PUBLIC SCHOOL POWERHOUSES” can we say they’re really powerhouses ???

Flanagan one hit wonder the year they had all those transfers, Miramar one hit wonder, Deerfield is looked at as a state powerhouse year after year & has yet to hoist a title. 

Dillard last FHSAA title was in 1989 were in 2021 & Dillard still leads the county in state championships with TWO!! let that sink in, we have not hoisted a FHSAA title since 89 & NO other public school in broward county has yet to pass 2 titles SMH, but yet our county is so rich with talent.

4 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

It’s crazy bro because some will say More talent come out of broward then it do Miami but yet when you look at the “PUBLIC SCHOOL POWERHOUSES” can we say they’re really powerhouses ???

Flanagan one hit wonder the year they had all those transfers, Miramar one hit wonder, Deerfield is looked at as a state powerhouse year after year & has yet to hoist a title. 

Dillard last FHSAA title was in 1989 were in 2021 & Dillard still leads the county in state championships with TWO!! let that sink in, we have not hoisted a FHSAA title since 89 & NO other public school in broward county has yet to pass 2 titles SMH, but yet our county is so rich with talent.

In the past 20+ years, Deerfield Beach has been the most consistent public. But they have only made the title game once, and got blown out after upsetting a talented, but very young MNW team in 2005. They also lost semifinals to Apopka in 2001 and to Edgewater in 2003 and to Miami Northwestern in 2007 and to Columbus in 2019. Apopka, Columbus and Northwestern went on to win states those years. Edgewater fell to a Carol City team that had one of the best high school defenses I ever saw. 

Dillard has resurrected itself over the past three seasons, but is still awaiting a deep run. It has been hampered by having to play powerhouse teams early on in the playoffs. So, the jury is out on Dillard. The talent is certainly there, but it will need the staff to stay relatively intact so that they can keep it at Dillard. If they do, I expect you will make a title game within the next 2-5 years. Having St. Thomas Aquinas in your district is both a blessing and a curse. 

17 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

In the past 20+ years, Deerfield Beach has been the most consistent public. But they have only made the title game once, and got blown out after upsetting a talented, but very young MNW team in 2005. They also lost semifinals to Apopka in 2001 and to Edgewater in 2003 and to Miami Northwestern in 2007. Apopka and Northwestern went on to win states those years. Edgewater fell to a Carol City team that had one of the best high school defenses I ever saw. 

Dillard has resurrected itself over the past three seasons, but is still awaiting a deep run. It has been hampered by having to play powerhouse teams early on in the playoffs. So, the jury is out on Dillard. The talent is certainly there, but it will need the staff to stay relatively intact so that they can keep it at Dillard. If they do, I expect you will make a title game within the next 2-5 years. Having St. Thomas Aquinas in your district is both a blessing and a curse. 

Now when you say deep run are you talking state title game appearance ? Because Dillard went 12-0 and made it to the regional finals in 2019 

then in 2020 we were introduced to the first TRI county playoffs and championship and Dillard won the entire thing. 

deerfield seems to be more consistent is because their first one or two rounds of the playoffs is never at the level of what Dillard sees hell even in the first round as a district winner. But yet Deerfield still leads the state as having the most first and second round home playoff exits as the favorite. 

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

A few years ago we kind of briefly touched on this topic, but I really had to go look at the numbers to see just How Frequently Broward county (PUBLIC) Schools actually hoist the FHSAA trophy in football. 

when you look at counties with the most talent across the entire state BROWARD COUNTY will come in No Less Then #2 in the ENTIRE state only behind Miami but yet these numbers Below Are VERY alarming. 

2016 - NONE

2017 - NONE 

2018- NONE 

2019 - NONE 

2020- NONE 

So from 1986-2020 there has only been 5 Broward county public school football titles (SMH) which two was from Dillard. 

After 1989 There were only 2 Broward county public schools to make the state championship game from 1990-2000 & the two teams were 

so again I ask, WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON with The public schools in broward county !???? I would love feed back from you guys on this topic @badbird @VeniceIndiansFootball @ColumbiaHighFan2017class @DarterBlue2 @561_Fan @MC Rockets @muckboy561

The same thing is going on with Duval.  The bigger question is can public/private co-exist an be somewhat equally productive in title count?

9 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Now when you say deep run are you talking state title game appearance ? Because Dillard went 12-0 and made it to the regional finals in 2019 

then in 2020 we were introduced to the first TRI county playoffs and championship and Dillard won the entire thing. 

deerfield seems to be more consistent is because their first one or two rounds of the playoffs is never at the level of what Dillard sees hell even in the first round as a district winner. But yet Deerfield still leads the state as having the most first and second round home playoff exits as the favorite. 

When I say deep run, I mean making the semis or state title game. In other words, winning at least the Regional title. That's my criterion precisely because some schools have two and sometimes, three relatively easy playoff games. But by the time you get to the fourth round, you are playing a really good team regardless of classification or bracket. 

Just now, Nulli Secundus said:

The same thing is going on with Duval.  The bigger question is can public/private co-exist an be somewhat equally productive in title count?

Tbh I don’t think so, especially in south Florida. Back in the 80s & 90s the kids had pride for their home school, they wanted to beat those privileged private schools boys not join them. 

but now with the NFL & nba trading and recruiting and forming these super teams. It has trickled down to high school. Nobody wants to beat the big dawg they rather join the big dawg.

add that with these private schools having more access to huge universities and connections and etc, u present that in a face of a young man who comes from nothing he’s gonna take that opportunity.

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

When I say deep run, I mean making the semis or state title game. In other words, winning at least the Regional title. That's my criterion precisely because some schools have two and sometimes, three relatively easy playoff games. But by the time you get to the fourth round, you are playing a really good team regardless of classification or bracket. 

Exactly but I belief depending on your region making the regionals is pretty impressive. 

it just pains me to see how broward county public schools just can’t get put it together even tho we have so much talent. 

6 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Exactly but I belief depending on your region making the regionals is pretty impressive. 

it just pains me to see how broward county public schools just can’t get put it together even tho we have so much talent. 

The problem is, talent is necessary, but not necessarily sufficient. You need stable coaching, commitment to the school you play for, adequate facilities, etc., to consistently be a deep threat. With mega teams, both public and private, literally in your backyard, it is difficult to get the kids to stay home. 

Deerfield has actually been able to keep its talent and do relatively well in the recruiting game. However, for reasons I cannot explain, they tend to fail in the third and fourth rounds. 

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The problem is, talent is necessary, but not necessarily sufficient. You need stable coaching, commitment to the school you play for, adequate facilities, etc., to consistently be a deep threat. With mega teams, both public and private, literally in your backyard, it is difficult to get the kids to stay home. 

Deerfield has actually been able to keep its talent and do relatively well in the recruiting game. However, for reasons I cannot explain, they tend to fail in the third and fourth rounds. 

Cuz in the first 2 rounds they hardly play anyone where as in the first rounds we have been playing nationally ranked powerhouses, not just playoff teams but national powerhouses that’s a diff. 

but the last few years Dillard talent have been staying put, thankfully & we have been getting transfers in.

54 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

The thing is there are publics in Duval getting more transfers than the privates

They just blow it when the $$$ on the line, teams like Lee for all their transfers should go further and yet their fanbase says they want Miami Central and can win a state title 

They are all talk and no credibility

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The thing is there are publics in Duval getting more transfers than the privates

They just blow it when the $$$ on the line, teams like Lee for all their transfers should go further and yet their fanbase says they want Miami Central and can win a state title 

They are all talk and no credibility

So what’s your thoughts on broward county situation ??

2 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

2016 - NONE

2017 - NONE 

2018- NONE 

2019 - NONE 

2020- NONE 

There’s nothing I can really say that DarterBlue hasn’t already put magnificently. One thing I can tell you, though, is that there is more incentive to go to an STA or American Heritage, than there is for a Dillard or other public schools in Broward. The problem doesn’t only rely on recruiting, though. Things like how much money a program has or how good their coaching staff is also play massive roles in shaping the success of a program. Teams can have a lot of talent, but be poorly coached and not understand how to overcome adversity when they get down or face a foreign situation in game time. Personally, I see this is as a make-or-break year for Dillard. They have a lot of talent returning, and a huge task approaching with STA in their district. This is going to rely on how well-coached and disciplined Dillard is, to knock off STA and get a chance to play them at home should they meet again in the playoffs.

Just now, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

So what’s your thoughts on broward county situation ??

When I look at Broward County publics versus privates I personally think the lack of stability and even in some cases quality of coaches at the publics causes a lot of players to go private and also the overall poor academic format of the pubic schools In Broward county in poverty heavy areas has made privates the better option 

However if you note the exception lately with the most recent state titles with teams like Flanagan or Miramar both of them are close enough to not only get Broward talent but also Dade talent 

Idk about Miramar but Flanagan had a very good coach who had a connection to the youth programs in both counties and you saw the result, had they been able to keep him Flanagan would still be one of the powers In SFL but they will likely never get there again 

Then I look at Ely who used to be a powerhouse but are so unstable as a program now that they likely never get back to that, I think main reason Dillard is on the up now is they finally have some stability in the program but there was a stretch they probably were as unstable as Ely

The one misconception I will say is for as much gripe as people give STA, AHP and Cardinal Gibbons for getting transfers, none of them get as much as Deerfield Beach usually gets, none of them get as many as Miami Central, or Miami Northwestern or even someone like BTW or Carol City would get a few years ago 

Privates getting transfers isn't what is holding the publics back from what I can see in fact argubly Dillard has actually started to benefit from open enrollment as they have been transfer off-season winners the last few years as they tend to get more than they lose and in most cases end the summer with more talent on paper than they started it with 

22 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

When I look at Broward County publics versus privates I personally think the lack of stability and even in some cases quality of coaches at the publics causes a lot of players to go private and also the overall poor academic format of the pubic schools In Broward county in poverty heavy areas has made privates the better option 

However if you note the exception lately with the most recent state titles with teams like Flanagan or Miramar both of them are close enough to not only get Broward talent but also Dade talent 

Idk about Miramar but Flanagan had a very good coach who had a connection to the youth programs in both counties and you saw the result, had they been able to keep him Flanagan would still be one of the powers In SFL but they will likely never get there again 

Then I look at Ely who used to be a powerhouse but are so unstable as a program now that they likely never get back to that, I think main reason Dillard is on the up now is they finally have some stability in the program but there was a stretch they probably were as unstable as Ely

The one misconception I will say is for as much gripe as people give STA, AHP and Cardinal Gibbons for getting transfers, none of them get as much as Deerfield Beach usually gets, none of them get as many as Miami Central, or Miami Northwestern or even someone like BTW or Carol City would get a few years ago 

Privates getting transfers isn't what is holding the publics back from what I can see in fact argubly Dillard has actually started to benefit from open enrollment as they have been transfer off-season winners the last few years as they tend to get more than they lose and in most cases end the summer with more talent on paper than they started it with 

I agree, Dillard has most def Turned the corner in the stability aspect of it, but as I mentioned earlier I believe what changed is the mindset of the players back in the day kids didn’t want to play for private schools they wanted to beat them. Private schools was looked at as the preppy privileged boys who thought they were better.

now kids don’t want to put in the work to beat those schools, the see the long term benefit of going to the private schools and they see a quick way out the hood. 

Pride, tradition & community doesn’t mean a thing anymore. 

2 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I agree, Dillard has most def Turned the corner in the stability aspect of it, but as I mentioned earlier I believe what changed is the mindset of the players back in the day kids didn’t want to play for private schools they wanted to beat them. Private schools was looked at as the preppy privileged boys who thought they were better.

now kids don’t want to put in the work to beat those schools, the see the long term benefit of going to the private schools and they see a quick way out the hood. 

If St. Thomas or American Heritage came knocking at your door to recruit you what would you have done or if you have a son what would you do. I get that you love Dillard High School and would go to war for the Panthers but the privates may offer better equipment, funding education which would attract someone. Just imagine if D1 recruits went to HBCU's. Southern and Grambling State would be powerhouses (LSU). Famu and BCU would be powerhouses (FSU, UF and UM). Alabama State and Alabama A&M would be powerhouses (University of Alabama and Auburn)

3 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Private powers are detracting too much from homegrown, community-feeling football games. Dillard really needs to win that first game against STA to have them travel in the playoffs. You guys can’t afford to stub your toe in that game.  It’s either beat them twice or lose to them twice. A defeat in that district matchup could very well cost the Panthers a chance at a home game later. Brian Piccolo stadium is where state championship hopes come to die. I know this as a long time Venice fan. I hope you guys beat the brakes off of them! 

9 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Private powers are detracting too much from homegrown, community-feeling football games. Dillard really needs to win that first game against STA to have them travel in the playoffs. You guys can’t afford to stub your toe in that game.  It’s either beat them twice or lose to them twice. A defeat in that district matchup could very well cost the Panthers a chance at a home game later. Brian Piccolo stadium is where state championship hopes come to die. I know this as a long time Venice fan. I hope you guys beat the brakes off of them! 

I get what you’re saying but I have no doubt in my mind if we lost to STA in the regular season that we would b able to get revenge the second time around. 

you’re likely to beat a team like STA the second go round after losing then beating them a second time after beating them a few weeks prior. 

regardless tho we just to take it one game at a time & see where we at in the end.