Toughest 8a district?

Jullian

55 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Gotta go with district 9 as Columbus and Palmetto likely will be a bit down this year while Osceola and West Orange should be better this year 

I agree that West Orange should be strong this Fall. In the recent Spring Jamboree at Winter Park, Both Apopka and Winter Park easily beat Dr Phillips (WP 12-0 in one varsity quarter, Apopka 21-0 in a half of varsity play). Dr Phillips was not impressive at all. Osceola reached the 8A state final this past Fall, but was blown out by Seminole. Osceola was not impressive in last weekend's UCF 7v7 Camp, losing several times, including their game with Winter Park. I won't be surprised if West Orange wins that district.

2 hours ago, Jullian said:

Reg 3 District 9

#1) DP, Kiss Osc, West Orange

Reg 4 District 16

#2) Columbus, Palmetto, S Dade

Those are two good choices. Another district that may be very competitive is Region 1, District 1. I have a feeling a couple of the Jacksonville area publics are going to be pretty good this year.

Regarding Region 3, District 9, I expect Osceola and West Orange to fight it out for the automatic berth. I would not put too much stock into how Osceola looks in 7v7 over the summer. Despite having a very good QB, it is not their strength and I expect them to be very strong during the regular season. They return too much talent to now be good and they looked fine to me against Edgewater in the spring game.  

DP did not look very good in their spring jamboree with WP and Apopka, but I refuse to believe that they will not look a lot better come August. So, while I don't favor them in the district, I certainly would not count them out. They have a history of deep playoff experience and while the last two seasons were disappointing, I am not ready to write them off just yet. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Those are two good choices. Another district that may be very competitive is Region 1, District 1. I have a feeling a couple of the Jacksonville area publics are going to be pretty good this year.

Regarding Region 3, District 9, I expect Osceola and West Orange to fight it out for the automatic berth. I would not put too much stock into how Osceola looks in 7v7 over the summer. Despite having a very good QB, it is not their strength and I expect them to be very strong during the regular season. They return too much talent to now be good and they looked fine to me against Edgewater in the spring game.  

DP did not look very good in their spring jamboree with WP and Apopka, but I refuse to believe that they will not look a lot better come August. So, while I don't favor them in the district, I certainly would not count them out. They have a history of deep playoff experience and while the last two seasons were disappointing, I am not ready to write them off just yet. 

I kinda have to disagree

Creekside lost their starting QB to TCA which will hurt 

Bartram appears to be down 

Oakleaf and Sandalwood probably will be down and Mandarin could go either way 

Nobody in the district will be pushovers but I don't see any of the 5 going deep at this stage 

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

I agree that West Orange should be strong this Fall. In the recent Spring Jamboree at Winter Park, Both Apopka and Winter Park easily beat Dr Phillips (WP 12-0 in one varsity quarter, Apopka 21-0 in a half of varsity play). Dr Phillips was not impressive at all. Osceola reached the 8A state final this past Fall, but was blown out by Seminole. Osceola was not impressive in last weekend's UCF 7v7 Camp, losing several times, including their game with Winter Park. I won't be surprised if West Orange wins that district.

Columbia has beaten Armwood and BTW during their good years at UCF 7v7 

In fact I think we beat both in 2016 and ended up losing in a second round blowout, 7v7 is good for development but not really a strong indicator of team success come fall 

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Columbia has beaten Armwood and BTW during their good years at UCF 7v7 

In fact I think we beat both in 2016 and ended up losing in a second round blowout, 7v7 is good for development but not really a strong indicator of team success come fall 

If a QB is having trouble connecting with his receivers and receivers are dropping passes in 7v7, what happens when they are faced with throwing the ball over tall DL's and receivers are having to pick the ball up while wearing helmets with facemasks. 7v7 is like throwing and catching in practice; no one in the QB's face, no linemen to see over or around to see receivers downfield, and unencumbered by helmets and pads. The best talent should excel; that wasn't apparent for Osceola at UCF Camp on July 5th.

55 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

If a QB is having trouble connecting with his receivers and receivers are dropping passes in 7v7, what happens when they are faced with throwing the ball over tall DL's and receivers are having to pick the ball up while wearing helmets with facemasks. 7v7 is like throwing and catching in practice; no one in the QB's face, no linemen to see over or around to see receivers downfield, and unencumbered by helmets and pads. The best talent should excel; that wasn't apparent for Osceola at UCF Camp on July 5th.

Don't you mean June 5th?

Also remember that in these camps many players are working with their team for the spring season which I believe is 3-4 weeks after several months of inactivity and you also have to throw in upcoming freshman or transfer WRs into the mix who wouldn't have been able to play or practice with the team during the spring in some cases and haven't had time to build cohesion with the offense and timing with QBs and WRs will in most cases need time to build so all it says is that Osceola still has a ways to go but again If 7v7 was as accurate for judging teams we would have seen much different results in the season than we have over the past few years as a lot of teams dominate 7v7 then finish as a subpar team in the season

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Don't you mean June 5th?

Also remember that in these camps many players are working with their team for the spring season which I believe is 3-4 weeks after several months of inactivity and you also have to throw in upcoming freshman or transfer WRs into the mix who wouldn't have been able to play or practice with the team during the spring in some cases and haven't had time to build cohesion with the offense and timing with QBs and WRs will in most cases need time to build so all it says is that Osceola still has a ways to go but again If 7v7 was as accurate for judging teams we would have seen much different results in the season than we have over the past few years as a lot of teams dominate 7v7 then finish as a subpar team in the season

Yes, I meant the UCF June 5th camp. Part of the reason you see "a lot of teams dominate 7v7 then finish as a subpar team in the season" is that in the regular season, QBs are faced with throwing the ball over DL's and receivers are having to pick the ball up while wearing helmets with facemasks. Many undersized QBs do well in 7v7 where sightlines are wide open, but struggle when faced with finding receivers over a defensive line. 

22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Don't you mean June 5th?

"Also remember that in these camps many players are working with their team for the spring season which I believe is 3-4 weeks after several months of inactivity".

I realize that Lake City is rural and the kids may not have access to 7v7 leagues and tournaments to the degree kids have in metropolitan areas like Central Florida, Jax, Tampa Bay, and South Florida. Here in Central Florida, most 7v7 teams in the Winter months are "all-star" teams comprised of skill players from multiple school teams. The kids try out for these teams. There are a few HS teams that compete as their school team in the winter tournaments, but most of the top talent is playing on the all-star type teams. When Spring rolls around, these kids have not faced several months of inactivity; most play some form of football year round. There should be very little, if any, drop off in their level of play when Spring games and camps roll around.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:31 AM, HornetFan said:

So Osceola has a QB that can throw for once and they enter a 7v7 and have a bad day. Are they out of the District race? How bad were they at the 7v7? I think they a D and a running game to compete.

12 hours ago, Nolestrong said:

So Osceola has a QB that can throw for once and they enter a 7v7 and have a bad day. Are they out of the District race? How bad were they at the 7v7? I think they a D and a running game to compete.

It would be stupid to write Osceola out of the district race and a deep playoff run.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I kinda have to disagree

Creekside lost their starting QB to TCA which will hurt 

Bartram appears to be down 

Oakleaf and Sandalwood probably will be down and Mandarin could go either way 

Nobody in the district will be pushovers but I don't see any of the 5 going deep at this stage 

I’m picking BT to win the district with either Creekside or Mandarin getting second. Oakleaf and Sandalwood are teams that I expect to be down. 

16 hours ago, Nolestrong said:

I didn't say that Osceola should be counted out of their District race. I said that I won't be surprised if West Orange wins that district. Chad Mascoe is a good QB and he usually played well this past Winter in the 7v7 contests that I attended, but he wasn't playing for Osceola HS. He was on one of the many all-star type teams. His supporting cast at the UCF camp on June 5th was the Osceola HS team and they weren't overly impressive on offense or defense. They had a few losses including their game that I watched with Winter Park. 

On 6/16/2021 at 11:10 PM, Nolestrong said:

Thank you as that "D" you point out will definitely get after opposing QB's (knocking them to the ground) which is non-existent in 7x7.  OHS has never really participated in much of that and it hasn't hurt them.

On 6/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, Jullian said:

Reg 3 District 9

#1) DP, Kiss Osc, West Orange

Reg 4 District 16

#2) Columbus, Palmetto, S Dade

8A DISTRICT 2, led by Seminole (Sanford), last season's defending 8A state champion is comprised of teams that have the ability to hang on a loss on most teams on any Friday night. Oviedo will probably be down having lost their starting QB to Seminole through a transfer; the rich get richer. DeLand, Flagler Palm Coast, and Lake Mary are also good teams.

7 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

8A DISTRICT 2, led by Seminole (Sanford), last season's defending 8A state champion is comprised of teams that have the ability to hang on a loss on most teams on any Friday night. Oviedo will probably be down having lost their starting QB to Seminole through a transfer; the rich get richer. DeLand, Flagler Palm Coast, and Lake Mary are also good teams.

I wonder how Flagler will be

On 6/13/2021 at 7:20 PM, HornetFan said:

LOL :lol:.....Osceola beat Nease, Gaither and West Port pretty easily at UCF in pool play, they lost to Winter Park 20-14 and had the ball at the 1 yard line when time expired but you knew that since you watched. Osceola had a 1st round bye in bracket play then lost to a good Dillard team 12-6 in OT, at Osceola they don't put much stock in touch football, they make sure they focus on the real thing. They will be ready once the season starts, we can review this post later in the season.....

22 minutes ago, OHS_Kboys said:

LOL :lol:.....Osceola beat Nease, Gaither and West Port pretty easily at UCF in pool play, they lost to Winter Park 20-14 and had the ball at the 1 yard line when time expired but you knew that since you watched. Osceola had a 1st round bye in bracket play then lost to a good Dillard team 12-6 in OT, at Osceola they don't put much stock in touch football, they make sure they focus on the real thing. They will be ready once the season starts, we can review this post later in the season.....

So, "they lost to Winter Park 20-14 and had the ball at the 1 yard line"; coming close usually only counts in horse shoes and hand grenade throwing. A loss is a loss. Osceola finished 3-2 at the UCF 7v7; you're happy with that performance? If "they don't put much stock in touch football", why were they playing in the UCF 7v7; nothing else to do that day? I may be wrong, but it seems that these kids would be trying to impress the folks at UCF in hopes of gaining some positive exposure. I don't doubt they'll be ready to play football when the season starts; I just don't think they'll beat West Orange.

11 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

So, "they lost to Winter Park 20-14 and had the ball at the 1 yard line"; coming close usually only counts in horse shoes and hand grenade throwing. A loss is a loss. Osceola finished 3-2 at the UCF 7v7; you're happy with that performance? If "they don't put much stock in touch football", why were they playing in the UCF 7v7; nothing else to do that day? I may be wrong, but it seems that these kids would be trying to impress the folks at UCF in hopes of gaining some positive exposure. I don't doubt they'll be ready to play football when the season starts; I just don't think they'll beat West Orange.

Any chance to get some one on one work against someone who isnt't your teammate is a good opportunity I would assume, and since they have a few kids that are being recruited by UCF it was probably a chance for them to get on campus and meet coaches face to face. Osceola doesn't do well in games that don't count, probably why they rarely win spring games or KOCs....but what do I know, I'm just a casual fan. Hopefully they can rebound from the piss poor performance at UCF and have some sort of decent season. West Orange is definitely the favorite in the district followed by DP who is always a top team.

26 minutes ago, OHS_Kboys said:

Any chance to get some one on one work against someone who isnt't your teammate is a good opportunity I would assume, and since they have a few kids that are being recruited by UCF it was probably a chance for them to get on campus and meet coaches face to face. Osceola doesn't do well in games that don't count, probably why they rarely win spring games or KOCs....but what do I know, I'm just a casual fan. Hopefully they can rebound from the piss poor performance at UCF and have some sort of decent season. West Orange is definitely the favorite in the district followed by DP who is always a top team.

I like your sarcasm; we both know Osceola will be a contender. It's going to be a good season in Central Florida; the area has some quality teams in 8A including the defending state champion and runner-up. After seeing DP in the Spring Jamboree last month, I wouldn't rate them above Osceola. I think DP may be the 3rd best team in their District, behind WO and Osceola. It is a tough district this year.

17 hours ago, HornetFan said:

K, seems like your argument is still based on 7v7 why you favor West Orange over Osceola.  Which competitive 7v7 has West Orange won?  I don't know cause as I said earlier don't put much stock in them.  Need to come up with a better reason for your pick; is their secondary better, do they have a more dominant defensive line, better skilled players, more returning stars, something that clearly shows how you come to your opinion.

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

K, seems like your argument is still based on 7v7 why you favor West Orange over Osceola.  Which competitive 7v7 has West Orange won?  I don't know cause as I said earlier don't put much stock in them.  Need to come up with a better reason for your pick; is their secondary better, do they have a more dominant defensive line, better skilled players, more returning stars, something that clearly shows how you come to your opinion.

I have seen Jayden Gibson, WO's 4 star WR in 7v7 play with an all-star type team, and I have seen his film from last season. Osceola doesn't have any DB's that can cover this 6'6', 4 star, fast WR who happens to have long arms and great hands. WO likes to just put the ball up deep and let him go after it. They also have other talented WR's so you can't just concentrate on Gibson. Osceola will have trouble with a WO team that has talented returning seniors at most key positions. 

2 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I have seen Jayden Gibson, WO's 4 star WR in 7v7 play with an all-star type team, and I have seen his film from last season. Osceola doesn't have any DB's that can cover this 6'6', 4 star, fast WR who happens to have long arms and great hands. WO likes to just put the ball up deep and let him go after it. They also have other talented WR's so you can't just concentrate on Gibson. Osceola will have trouble with a WO team that has talented returning seniors at most key positions. 

Better answer, but remember it still comes down to blocking and tackling.  Will they be able to consistently protect their QB against our rush (2 4-star DL) and is he elusive enough to escape it.  I don't know, maybe you do.  Plus my opinion is different than yours when it comes to our DB's; three of them at least can play at the next level.