Toughest district in 6a.

Jullian

6 minutes ago, Jullian said:

I can’t find but 1 district with 3 teams that could win the district & make a run in the playoffs. 
Reg 2 District 6:
 Jones, L Minneola, Mainland. 
Anybody?

It would be difficult for any of the three to win the state title. But in terms of competitiveness, I have to agree with you: At least on paper, it's a very competitive district.

Of the three, Jones probably has the best shot at getting to at least the state semis. But I would not be shocked if one of Mainland or Lake Minneola beat them. 

33 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It would be difficult for any of the three to win the state title. But in terms of competitiveness, I have to agree with you: At least on paper, it's a very competitive district.

Of the three, Jones probably has the best shot at getting to at least the state semis. But I would not be shocked if one of Mainland or Lake Minneola beat them. 

Slightly off topic but considering that Miami Northwestern isn't particularly loaded at this stage I'm starting to lean Tampa Jesuit being the favorite at this stage

42 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Agree! 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Jesuit has been a good program consistently. 

10 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Slightly off topic but considering that Miami Northwestern isn't particularly loaded at this stage I'm starting to lean Tampa Jesuit being the favorite at this stage

Jesuit has been solid. AH fortunate to get by them last year. Great game. 

14 minutes ago, Jullian said:

Yeah I was following that game last year 

AHP was lucky to win that one and Jesuit likely won state if they could have made it out of that game, Jesuit has been so close that they kinda remind me of mid 2010s Dr Phillips in how close they have been to winning a title who did eventually manage to do it 

Sometimes persistence pays off

27 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

AHP was lucky to win that one and Jesuit likely won state if they could have made it out of that game, Jesuit has been so close that they kinda remind me of mid 2010s Dr Phillips in how close they have been to winning a title who did eventually manage to do it 

It did with DP. Was their QB a senior. He was good. 

11 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

This Jesuit team I’m hearing about, never heard of them they don’t even sound like a football school. 

do they get a lot of talent or their just extremely well coached ??

2 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

This Jesuit team I’m hearing about, never heard of them they don’t even sound like a football school. 

Tampa Jesuit has been the most consistent power in Tampa for quite some time. They just can't seem to get to state though.

2 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

As Perspective laid out in his own lawyerly, rather cheeky way, they are both talented and well coached.  To me, they are a more consistent version of Bishop Moore in Orlando which is equally well coached, but does not always have as much talent. 

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In past years you never would rank them high or mention them in your pre-season polls. I was wondering if you even knew who they were.

12 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

In past years you never would rank them high or mention them in your pre-season polls. I was wondering if you even knew who they were.

They are usually solid but the way they played last year sold me on them 

I just usually was hesitant to rank Tampa teams high in the polls as that area seems to always choke in the playoffs as soon as I show any faith in them 

I have them pretty high in my current rankings that I'm adjusting over the course of the summer and I actually have them as the highest ranked team in 6a currently

57 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They are usually solid but the way they played last year sold me on them 

I just usually was hesitant to rank Tampa teams high in the polls as that area seems to always choke in the playoffs as soon as I show any faith in them 

I have them pretty high in my current rankings that I'm adjusting over the course of the summer and I actually have them as the highest ranked team in 6a currently

When yall gonna talk about 1a regions?

Jesuit went 14-1 last season, losing a heart-breaker to American Heritage 16-13 in the State Semi-finals. 

The Tigers return their top WR's, including Junior Vandeross, who just committed to play college ball at Toledo.  Kid had 11 catches for 242 yards and 2 TD's in the Regional finals game against Jones.  Jesuit's top RB, Joquez Smith also returns.  He rushed for 1226 yards and 18 TD's last year.  They also bring back the leading tackler on defense (and 3 of the top 4), including Troy Bowles at LB. 

Jesuit over-performed last season, largely on the strength of the right arm of QB Joe Pesansky, who threw for almost 3,000 yards and 35TD's.   The Pesansky family moved down to Tampa last summer (Joe's younger brother also started on defense as a freshman) and, in a move that ruffled the feathers of a few area Jesuit alums, Joe was able to transfer into Jesuit as a senior.  He rewarded that decision with an outstanding season.  

Pesansky's backup last year was Luke Knight, a freshman who got a little mop-up action, but is largely game-day untested.   He should be able to gain experience over the course of the season by handing the ball off to Smith or throwing short passes to Vandeross, French and Co., who will have the speed and quickness to turn 5-yard outs into 75-yard TD's.  But, he'll just be a sophomore this next season.  Assuming no one transfers in this season, I suspect the talent around him will make him look good this season and then his own talent will carry him - and the team - the next two years. 

Offensive line is a bit of a question mark for me, but only because I'm not as familiar with the guys in the trenches as I am the skill guys.  They'll have good depth and a multitude of good coaches.  I expect them to make another deep run in 2021. 

21 hours ago, Jullian said:

I can’t find but 1 district with 3 teams that could win the district & make a run in the playoffs. 
Reg 2 District 6:
 Jones, L Minneola, Mainland. 
Anybody?

Jones moving up to 6A is a gift to 5A teams hoping to go deep in the playoffs. I expect that Jones will be a force this year in 6A. If I'm not mistaken, Lake Minneola doesn't have the stud QB transfer back this year. This will be a tough District for any school not named Jones HS.

5 hours ago, HornetFan said:

Jones moving up to 6A is a gift to 5A teams hoping to go deep in the playoffs. I expect that Jones will be a force this year in 6A. If I'm not mistaken, Lake Minneola doesn't have the stud QB transfer back this year. This will be a tough District for any school not named Jones HS.

Could you see a repeat of the 2019 State Game Jones/Northwestern 

8 hours ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Could you see a repeat of the 2019 State Game Jones/Northwestern 

I won't be surprised if Jones is there. As for NW, I'm not that informed as to how the South Florida teams will stack up for this Fall. For the most part, I follow Central Florida.