9 game schedule

Hwy17

Let's say you 9 games set but are having trouble finding an opponent for a certain week. Your choices are some easy opponents or none at all. I'm being told by someone that it's better not to play because if you schedule the easy opponent it would lower your RPI.  Personally I'd rather play than not play as I feel having a second open week hurts team rhythm; 2020 cancellations is a good example.

39 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Let's say you 9 games set but are having trouble finding an opponent for a certain week. Your choices are some easy opponents or none at all. I'm being told by someone that it's better not to play because if you schedule the easy opponent it would lower your RPI.  Personally I'd rather play than not play as I feel having a second open week hurts team rhythm; 2020 cancellations is a good example.

Having less games also changes the divide on the RPI which could help or hurt teams depending upon how their season goes 

3 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Have your JV schedule the easy team for the Varsity's otherwise open week.  Then, since varsity's not playing, drop all your varsity players down to JV that week so they can get their game in.  :P  

4 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

I think if your team is a borderline playoff team, it’s always better to play a game. If you’re a top team, where home field is essential, I might skip it.......

6 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

HS football is supposed to be about the kids. I'm sure that, if asked, the players on almost every HS team would tell you to schedule the 10th game. If the only available opponent is weak, play your starters sparingly and give your other kids a chance to get some game time. You can't worry about the RPI because you can't control how well other schools perform from one season to the next. If you have a good season, you'll make the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

HS football is supposed to be about the kids. I'm sure that, if asked, the players on almost every HS team would tell you to schedule the 10th game. If the only available opponent is weak, play your starters sparingly and give your other kids a chance to get some game time. You can't worry about the RPI because you can't control how well other schools perform from one season to the next. If you have a good season, you'll make the playoffs.

That's exactly right and if you are building a program good coaches play other kids to create depth as well as get experience for the following year.  RPI is subjective so I'm not a fan.  Play the maximum especially if it is another home game for revenue and your fans.