Wakulla County football history

nolebull813

@TRAJAN01 here is some cool Info from Wakulla County

Crawfordville High is the first school to field a 6 man team in county history.

Sopchoppy High is the first school to field an 11 man team in county history.

Crawfordville fielded a 6 man team from 1939-1942.

Sopchoppy High fielded a 6 man team from 1940-1941.

Crawfordville didn’t play any football from 1943-1948.

Sopchoppy didn’t play any football from 1942-1947.

Crawfordville played 11 man from 1949-1966

Sopchoppy played 11 man from 1947-1966

Crawfordville and Sopchoppy played every year from 1949-1966 except 1951. I have every result except 1950 and 1957. Sopchoppy dominated the rivalry going 10-5-1. That’s without the two unknown results. 

1949 Sopchoppy 77, Crawfordville 0

1949 Sopchoppy 69, Crawfordville 0

1950 unknown 

1951 no game

1952 Sopchoppy 53, Crawfordville 0

1953 unknown 

1954 Sopchoppy 43, Crawfordville 19

1955 Sopchoppy 12, Crawfordville 7

1956 Crawfordville 12, Sopchoppy 6

1957 Crawfordville 13, Sopchoppy 0

1958 Sopchoppy 21, Crawfordville 0

1959 Tied 13-13

1960 Crawfordville 7, Sopchoppy 6

1961 Sopchoppy 32, Crawfordville 0

1962 Sopchoppy 13, Crawfordville 0

1963 Sopchoppy 26, Crawfordville 0

1964 Sopchoppy 31, Crawfordville 16

1965 Crawfordville 40, Sopchoppy 7

1966 Crawfordville 29, Sopchoppy 0

Both teams consolidated before the 1967 season to form Wakulla County High. They have won 2 state championships in their history. 

1980 (12-1)

Blountstown 21-0

Florida High 22-0

Marianna 26-42 

Jefferson County 38-26

FAMU 20-0

Havana 28-0

Rickards 28-14

Quincy Shanks 14-0

Pt St Joe 18-12

PK Yonge 28-6

(1st round) Century 14-12

(2nd round) Pierson Taylor 20-12 

(Finals) Clermont 20-6

Thank you @nolebull813that is some great research!  They've also lost 3 state championship games.  In 1978 they lost to Dunnellon, in 2011 they lost to Miami Norland and in 2015 they lost to Orlando Bishop Moore. 

They had a real good team in 2019.  They were undefeated heading into the 5A state semifinals on the road again Orlando Jones.  It was a great game...lost 21-20 on a missed extra point to tie the game in the 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, TRAJAN01 said:

Thank you @nolebull813that is some great research!  They've also lost 3 state championship games.  In 1978 they lost to Dunnellon, in 2011 they lost to Miami Norland and in 2015 they lost to Orlando Bishop Moore. 

They had a real good team in 2019.  They were undefeated heading into the 5A state semifinals on the road again Orlando Jones.  It was a great game...lost 21-20 on a missed extra point to tie the game in the 4th quarter.

2 championships and 3 runner ups isn’t bad for a rural county like Wakulla. 

Think about this. Lee County has 770,000 people and Pinellas County has 975,000 population and neither county has ever won a football state championship. No team. Ever. 

1 hour ago, TRAJAN01 said:

I was at that Title game against Norland!! Duke Johnson was a monster. Wakulla didn’t have any answers for him and the defense was too fast. That was the biggest difference. The team speed. 

19 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I was at that Title game against Norland!! Duke Johnson was a monster. Wakulla didn’t have any answers for him and the defense was too fast. That was the biggest difference. The team speed. 

Yes...Duke Johnson was unstoppable.  Didn't they also have an OL that played or maybe still playing in the NFL?  I think his last name was Flowers??

It's funny...that Wakulla team was very average at the beginning of the season but just continued to get better as the year went on.  No doubt Norland was the better team though.  The Wakulla team the following year was a much better team.  They went undefeated in the regular season and lost to Godby 14-7 in the second round.  They had beaten Godby pretty handily about 3 weeks earlier.  Godby went on to win the 5A state championship.  That was one that got away...they probably would have won a state championship that year.

20 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

2 championships and 3 runner ups isn’t bad for a rural county like Wakulla. 

Think about this. Lee County has 770,000 people and Pinellas County has 975,000 population and neither county has ever won a football state championship. No team. Ever. 

It's amazing that Lee or Pinellas has never had a state champion.  I can remember when Wakulla High was the same size as Blountstown, Port St. Joe etc...they were in the same district for years.  The population growth is exploding in Wakulla right now...i guess that is good and bad.  Wakulla High has close to 1500 students.  They will be 6A within the next few years.  It's a matter of time before another high school is built and that is the part I hate the most.  It's so good when everyone goes to the same high school and the entire county is supporting the one team.  I've heard they won't consider building a new high school until the enrollment reaches 2,000. 

7 hours ago, TRAJAN01 said:

It's amazing that Lee or Pinellas has never had a state champion.  I can remember when Wakulla High was the same size as Blountstown, Port St. Joe etc...they were in the same district for years.  The population growth is exploding in Wakulla right now...i guess that is good and bad.  Wakulla High has close to 1500 students.  They will be 6A within the next few years.  It's a matter of time before another high school is built and that is the part I hate the most.  It's so good when everyone goes to the same high school and the entire county is supporting the one team.  I've heard they won't consider building a new high school until the enrollment reaches 2,000. 

That’s good stuff. I believe the 2 titles they won were in 2A without looking. 

I wonder where they would open a new high school. Maybe in Sopchoppy. Lol. 

5 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Why Wakulla stop playing port st joe or blountstown 

15 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

It will be in the northern part of the county close to the Leon County line.  There is a lot of growth in that area.  They have two elementary schools and a middle school in that area.  I'm pretty sure they already have the property set aside for the new high school as well.  I'm just hoping it takes a long time to get to that 2,000 student threshold.

Yes the two titles they won were back when they were in 2A.  In today's world that would equate to 1A.  All of those teams they played are still about the same size today and are playing in the 1A class.

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

Why Wakulla stop playing port st joe or blountstown 

Maybe they didn’t want to play Wakulla anymore. It would be 1A vs 5A now. 

1A was scared of 2A so they split the small publics and privates. 1A teams cried about NFC and Jax UC to the point they got their own wittle special class all to themselves. 

So why would you expect those same 1A teams to play decent 5A teams?

1 minute ago, TRAJAN01 said:

It will be in the northern part of the county close to the Leon County line.  There is a lot of growth in that area.  They have two elementary schools and a middle school in that area.  I'm pretty sure they already have the property set aside for the new high school as well.  I'm just hoping it takes a long time to get to that 2,000 student threshold.

Yes the two titles they won were back when they were in 2A.  In today's world that would equate to 1A.  All of those teams they played are still about the same size today and are playing in the 1A class.

What is the name of that area? Is it still Crawfordville? US 319 north of 267?

21 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

What is the name of that area? Is it still Crawfordville? US 319 north of 267?

Yes US 319 north of Crawfordville.  They are in the process of expanding that road from Tallahassee all the way down to Coastal Highway(Hwy 98) right in front of Wakulla High.  The intersection of 319 and 98 in front of Wakulla High has already been expanded.  They are currently working from the Leon County line south to Crawfordville.  There are developments popping up all the way down US 319...it's non-stop.  I  heard someone from Central Florida that has relocated to Wakulla mention that they witnessed this same type of uncontrolled growth happen in Pasco County and it's frightening.

Crawfordville is experiencing it's own growth but most of this other area is not in the Crawfordville city limits.  It's just a solid line of new developments stretching all the way down US 319....that whole US 319 corridor is going to be a very busy thoroughfare....and it's the main hurricane evacuation route for coastal areas...so for that purpose it's a good thing the highway is being expanded.

7 minutes ago, TRAJAN01 said:

Yes US 319 north of Crawfordville.  They are in the process of expanding that road from Tallahassee all the way down to Coastal Highway(Hwy 98) right in front of Wakulla High.  The intersection of 319 and 98 in front of Wakulla High has already been expanded.  They are currently working from the Leon County line south to Crawfordville.  There are developments popping up all the way down US 319...it's non-stop.  I  heard someone from Central Florida that has relocated to Wakulla mention that they witnessed this same type of uncontrolled growth happen in Pasco County and it's frightening.

I live in Pasco County. It is exploded. And they aren’t even close to being done. The amount of homes and apartments that went up in the last 5 years is mind boggling. 

Wesley Chapel is a suburb right outside New Tampa, and Wesley Chapel High opened in 1999. So they didn’t need any high school for that area until 1999. Then Wiregrass Ranch opened in 2007, then Cypress Creek opened in 2017. 

Now Trinity and Odessa are exploding. Starkey Ranch in Odessa has built over 2,000 homes in the last few years. Odessa will soon need its own high school. 

11 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

I live in Pasco County. It is exploded. And they aren’t even close to being done. The amount of homes and apartments that went up in the last 5 years is mind boggling. 

Wesley Chapel is a suburb right outside New Tampa, and Wesley Chapel High opened in 1999. So they didn’t need any high school for that area until 1999. Then Wiregrass Ranch opened in 2007, then Cypress Creek opened in 2017. 

Now Trinity and Odessa are exploding. Starkey Ranch in Odessa has built over 2,000 homes in the last few years. Odessa will soon need its own high school. 

That is amazing...and it does make me scared for what is coming to us.  There are a lot of people from the Central Florida area moving north in search of a more quiet, slow paced environment.  I hear many of them express a lot of concerns over what is taking place right now in Wakulla.  Since it's so close it has now pretty much become a bedroom community for Tallahassee.  Most of the people commute to Tallahassee(including myself).  It's been an A rated school system for years so that is a huge attraction to young families wanting to relocate.

I drove through Pasco County about 3 years ago while visiting friends in St. Pete.  I was amazed at the growth back then...

9 minutes ago, TRAJAN01 said:

That is amazing...and it does make me scare for what is coming to us.  There are a lot of people from the Central Florida area moving north in search of a more quiet, slow paced environment.  I hear many of them express a lot of concerns over what is taking place right now in Wakulla.  Since it's so close it has now pretty much become a bedroom community for Tallahassee.  Most of the people commute to Tallahassee(including myself).  It's been an A rated school system for years so that is a huge attraction to young families wanting to relocate.

I drove through Pasco County about 3 years ago while visiting friends in St. Pete.  I was amazed at the growth back then...

It is crazy. From the 1920’s Pasco High served the West part of Pasco, and Gulf High served East Pasco. Then in the 1940’s Zephyrhills High came along. 

No high school would open up for another 35 years!!!! 

Hudson High opened in 1974 to relieve Gulf, and Land O Lakes High opened in 1975 to relieve Pasco/ZHills. 

Then in the 1980’s decade only one high school opened. Ridgewood in 1984. And then in 1991 River Ridge opened both in New Port Richey. 

So from the 1920’s-1998 only 7 high schools were in Pasco County.

Thats about 80 years. 

From 1999-2017 which is 18 years, another 7 high schools opened alone!! Wesley Chapel, Anclote, Sunlake, Fivay, Mitchell, Wiregrass, and Cypress Creek. 

10 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

It is crazy. From the 1920’s Pasco High served the West part of Pasco, and Gulf High served East Pasco. Then in the 1940’s Zephyrhills High came along. 

No high school would open up for another 35 years!!!! 

Hudson High opened in 1974 to relieve Gulf, and Land O Lakes High opened in 1975 to relieve Pasco/ZHills. 

Then in the 1980’s decade only one high school opened. Ridgewood in 1984. And then in 1991 River Ridge opened both in New Port Richey. 

So from the 1920’s-1998 only 7 high schools were in Pasco County.

Thats about 80 years. 

From 1999-2017 which is 18 years, another 7 high schools opened alone!! Wesley Chapel, Anclote, Sunlake, Fivay, Mitchell, Wiregrass, and Cypress Creek. 

That is absolutely mind boggling...the one thing that keeps me hopeful for us is that there just isn't that much available land space to develop in Wakulla.  When you look at a map the vast majority of the county is national forest.  US 319 is the main corridor coming from Tallahassee.  That is pretty much the main area that can be developed....and boy oh boy that will become a huge mess if it isn't developed properly.

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Maybe they didn’t want to play Wakulla anymore. It would be 1A vs 5A now. 

1A was scared of 2A so they split the small publics and privates. 1A teams cried about NFC and Jax UC to the point they got their own wittle special class all to themselves. 

So why would you expect those same 1A teams to play decent 5A teams?

Blountstown is playing North Florida Christian this year.  That's there hardest game by far.

33 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Blountstown is playing North Florida Christian this year.  That's there hardest game by far.

Hey @Jesse I miss the old rivalry between Wakulla and Blountstown.  You're too young to remember but those were some great games back in the mid 70's and early 80's.  Blountstown was a powerhouse.  Both teams won state championships during those era's.  Jefferson County had some great teams in the early 80's when the Massey brothers were carrying the ball.

17 minutes ago, TRAJAN01 said:

Hey @Jesse I miss the old rivalry between Wakulla and Blountstown.  You're too young to remember but those were some great games back in the mid 70's and early 80's.  Blountstown was a powerhouse.  Both teams won state championships during those era's.  Jefferson County had some great teams in the early 80's when the Massey brothers were carrying the ball.

North Florida used to dominate in the 70’s and 80’s. South Florida started their rise around the late 80’s. They did dominate pre-playoff era too. But the 80’s belonged to North Florida