Wakulla County football history

nolebull813

The one and only Madison County game I went to at Boot Hill they lost! It was against Coffee GA years back. They got screwed out of the win. 

It was late in the game and Madison County was down 10-7. They blocked a punt and ran it back for a touchdown about to go up 14-10. There was some phantom flag that gave Coffee the ball back and they put the game out of reach 17-7. That was the final score. 

Had that fake flag not been thrown, Coffee would have had to score a touchdown with only one possession left, and their offense hadn’t done much all game. 

The refs really did screw MadCo.

28 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

North Florida used to dominate in the 70’s and 80’s. South Florida started their rise around the late 80’s. They did dominate pre-playoff era too. But the 80’s belonged to North Florida 

Yes that is very true.  I can remember when Wakulla won in 1980 and 1981 their toughest game was always against a north Florida team that they would meet in the first round of the playoffs.  Back in those days only the district champion advanced to the playoffs and state championships were played on campus.  Two years in a row Wakulla had to travel.  One year they played at Clermont and the next year at Clewiston.  They won both games pretty easily.

One of the best games I remember from that era was in 1981.  Wakulla played Bolles in the semifinals.  Bolles had talked a lot of trash the week leading up to that game.  They did not expect to get beat and Wakulla blasted them 38-0.  Wakulla had a great team that year.  They had 8 shutouts heading into that game with Bolles.  They shut them out and then shut out Clewiston 24-0 in the state championship to finish the season with 10 shutouts.  Thinking back on it...that was pretty impressive.

I don't know what the answer is but I do wish something could be done about all of the transferring.  It's going to ruin high school football.  It's definitely not just private schools.  In a lot of cases you end up playing against an all star team from a metro area where probably over half of the kids on that team would be attending a different high school if they based it on where the kids actually live.

1 hour ago, TRAJAN01 said:

Hey @Jesse I miss the old rivalry between Wakulla and Blountstown.  You're too young to remember but those were some great games back in the mid 70's and early 80's.  Blountstown was a powerhouse.  Both teams won state championships during those era's.  Jefferson County had some great teams in the early 80's when the Massey brothers were carrying the ball.

Madco runs things now and forever. 

8 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The one and only Madison County game I went to at Boot Hill they lost! It was against Coffee GA years back. They got screwed out of the win. 

It was late in the game and Madison County was down 10-7. They blocked a punt and ran it back for a touchdown about to go up 14-10. There was some phantom flag that gave Coffee the ball back and they put the game out of reach 17-7. That was the final score. 

Had that fake flag not been thrown, Coffee would have had to score a touchdown with only one possession left, and their offense hadn’t done much all game. 

The refs really did screw MadCo.

Nolebull813, why was the foul called on the blocked punt play a "phanton flag?" How did the "refs" screw Madison County? 

11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Nolebull813, why was the foul called on the blocked punt play a "phanton flag?" How did the "refs" screw Madison County? 

The punter for Coffee came down after the kick and fell because he lost his balance. No one touched him. But since he fell, and there Madison players close to him the ref just assumed they ran into him. Penalty wiped the Madison TD off the board and gave Coffee the first down to ice the game. 

The crowd went wild. It was one of the worst calls I seen in my life. 

11 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

The punter for Coffee came down after the kick and fell because he lost his balance. No one touched him. But since he fell, and there Madison players close to him the ref just assumed they ran into him. Penalty wiped the Madison TD off the board and gave Coffee the first down to ice the game. 

The crowd went wild. It was one of the worst calls I seen in my life. 

Thank you Nolebull813. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 6:26 PM, nolebull813 said:

Both teams consolidated before the 1967 season to form Wakulla County High. They have won 2 state championships in their history. 

1980 (12-1)

Blountstown 21-0

Florida High 22-0

Marianna 26-42 

Jefferson County 38-26

FAMU 20-0

Havana 28-0

Rickards 28-14

Quincy Shanks 14-0

Pt St Joe 18-12

PK Yonge 28-6

(1st round) Century 14-12

(2nd round) Pierson Taylor 20-12 

(Finals) Clermont 20-6

Coach J.D. Jones had some studs in Parrish and Ferrell Barwick along and with Rouse and Edgar Pigott.

25 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Crazy that Delaware Valley flaked out last second. Hopefully Wakulla picks up Bartram Trail 

I know...it has left them scrambling for a game.  I'm assuming it was covid related...they probably didn't want to come to Florida.  I wonder if we'll see that happen with more of these out of state teams that have games scheduled in Florida?

I heard about the possibility of playing Bartram Trail last night.  I hope they are able to get that game worked out.  I would like to see that...my niece graduated from Bartram Trail a couple of years ago.