Analysis of Maxpreps Team Schedule Progress

LAZ

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

You raise some good questions, Ray.  But . . .  what if the FHSAA simply told the schools they have to have their schedules turned in (to someone like Laz) or posted (on a site like MaxPreps) by a certain date.  And if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to play that season (or they would get penalized a certain number of games - starting with the first game of the season).  Yes, there might be a few lingering issues that would have to be accounted for and perhaps a need for a forgiving scheduling czar that could excuse unavoidable issues.   But, if one or two seasons (or even games) got cancelled,  I'm guessing it wouldn't take long for the schools to get the message that they need to get their schedules turned in on time. 

That said (and just playing a little Devil's Advocate), who really needs to know which teams are playing which a month before the season starts?  Yeah, I know we're all very curious and want to see who's playing who.  And there may be a handful of people (journalists?  website operators? fans?) who would really benefit by having more notice, but other than this 'handful of people,' who really gets penalized by not knowing who Miami Central is playing in Week 2 or who Madison is playing in Week 6?  In other words, give me the reason why schedules need to be finalized more than a month out.  Open question for anyone who wants to supply an answer. 

The way that I look at things, if the game schedules for all high school football teams are posted more than a month or so before the season begins, that provides me one more subject to talk about with my good friend Perspective.  Of course this also provides Perspective with the honor and privilege of yet another subject to discuss with one of his favorite people in the whole World. yours truly, Jambun82! That seems like a very good reason to me. 

7 hours ago, LAZ said:

In all seriousness. This is how the scheduling process “appears” to be set up with Maxpreps. It appears that each school has designated individual(s) that have access to MaxPreps scheduling web pages. That means over 550 people can input Florida schedules and schedule changes. It doesn’t take Einstein to figure out that this can lead to nothing but disaster and inaccuracies. There needs to be a single source of input who has the capability to audit for accuracy before schedules are entered. This will ensure errors and conflicts are identified and resolved prior to entering the schedules into the site. Again….only 1 input source.

And yes, I want the job. 

If you need an assistant...

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

You raise some good questions, Ray.  But . . .  what if the FHSAA simply told the schools they have to have their schedules turned in (to someone like Laz) or posted (on a site like MaxPreps) by a certain date.  And if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to play that season (or they would get penalized a certain number of games - starting with the first game of the season).  Yes, there might be a few lingering issues that would have to be accounted for and perhaps a need for a forgiving scheduling czar that could excuse unavoidable issues.   But, if one or two seasons (or even games) got cancelled,  I'm guessing it wouldn't take long for the schools to get the message that they need to get their schedules turned in on time. 

That said (and just playing a little Devil's Advocate), who really needs to know which teams are playing which a month before the season starts?  Yeah, I know we're all very curious and want to see who's playing who.  And there may be a handful of people (journalists?  website operators? fans?) who would really benefit by having more notice, but other than this 'handful of people,' who really gets penalized by not knowing who Miami Central is playing in Week 2 or who Madison is playing in Week 6?  In other words, give me the reason why schedules need to be finalized more than a month out.  Open question for anyone who wants to supply an answer. 

Does the average fan need to know more than when some rivalry games are, some big name match-ups, their alma mater, and maybe a local team? Probably not, but it just seems so unprofessional and disorganized (on the part of FHSAA).

I would also think that since the FHSAA independently does their RPI ranking system that having the schedule/games in place would make life easier for them. Of course, the games might all be submitted to the FHSAA already, but we just don't know it because they don't share it. 

Look what I just came across. It looks like thousands of people can have access if they want it. There is an excel spreadsheet that must be filled out and it contains several fields that need to be populated. I wish I could post it here but it wouldn't copy. After looking at the spreadsheet, I can completely see where the schools can be the culprits who make the mistakes and not be thorough. Heck, some kid could be filling this out for a coach while sitting in detention after school.  

Here are the excel fields that must be filled out for each game when entering a schedule. There may be more, I'm not sure.:
A   HOME SCHOOL
B   HOME SCHOOL CITY
C   HOME SCHOOL STATE
D   AWAY SCHOOL
E   AWAY SCHOOL CITY
F   AWAY SCHOOL STATE
G   NEUTRAL (True/False)
H  GAME TYPE (District /Non District)
I    DATE
J  TIME

These are the instructions:

MaxPreps SupportFans, Athletes, Parents, & Media MembersContributions        
Schedule Submissions                   

Do you have a schedule you want to see posted on MaxPreps? Please follow this link to submit your schedule to our staff. Below is an example of what the submitted schedule should contain:

Capture__2_.JPG                  

**Please note MaxPreps will need you to provide your schedule as an excel file to ensure the file gets uploaded.

Coaches, please remember you can enter your schedules through your coach admin account.     

How to login to your Coach/AD Admin Accounts            
Enter a Schedule in Your Coach Admin              
Don't have access to your team? Please request access here and our team will grant you access.     

Submit a Correction:                  

You can also submit a schedule correction by reaching out to our support team by submitting a request or calling us or 1-800-329-7324 ext. 1.

Still having troubles with a schedule? Feel free to email us your schedule at support@maxpreps.com and we will help get that entered for you! 

6 hours ago, Perspective said:

If that happened I would expect a lot of teams to leave the FHSAA and I couldn't blame them 

The FHSAA doesn't exactly help good teams fill their schedule so they have no right to decide that

Maybe there should be date (maybe March 1st) that if teams don't have their schedule filled then any in county team or border county team has to accept any offer to play a team

So Suwannee if they still have an opening would be forced to accept their ass kicking from Columbia and if they tried to decline they have to forfeit all past state championships 

See that's a insane idea but it would "get games filled" 

The point I'm making is good teams have trouble filling their schedule because most of the time very few if any local teams especially in North Florida want to play teams who can beat them 

In south Florida even the bad teams will play teams who will blow them out but I respect that because they aren't cowards like some teams up here are 

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If that happened I would expect a lot of teams to leave the FHSAA and I couldn't blame them 

The FHSAA doesn't exactly help good teams fill their schedule so they have no right to decide that

Maybe there should be date (maybe March 1st) that if teams don't have their schedule filled then any in county team or border county team has to accept any offer to play a team

So Suwannee if they still have an opening would be forced to accept their ass kicking from Columbia and if they tried to decline they have to forfeit all past state championships 

The point I'm making is good teams have trouble filling their schedule because most of the time very few if any local teams especially in North Florida want to play teams who can beat them 

In south Florida even the bad teams will play teams who will blow them out but I respect that because they aren't cowards like some teams up here are 

Blountstown playing young kids in motion,  that's embarrassing for Blountstown being a top team in there class. And the rest of the schedule is pretty easy again smh

21 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I don't think teams would leave. As noted earlier in this thread, Georgia schools already are required to make and submit their schedules much earlier. And honestly, making a schedule (even for a school like Columbia) is not hard. Yes, it is a shame that Buchholz, Gainesville, and Suwannee have all dropped Columbia. You could play more St Johns County schools (PV, Bartram, St. Augustine), you could skip Alachua County and play Marion County (Vanguard, North Marion, and Ocala Trinity Catholic), west (Lincoln, FSU High, Wakulla, Madison), Georgia (Valdosta, Lowndes, Brooks County, Camden County), Jax (Raines, Ribault, Riverside, Bolles, Trinity Christian, maybe Sandalwood and Fletcher). Yes, bad schools play good schools in Urban districts because most of the time, the school district makes them. It would be like Fort White playing Columbia.

By the way, this is why the RPI system sucks. It makes teams too self-conscious about wins and losses rather than just playing. If it was simply champion and runner-up, non-district schedule doesn't matter. Suwannee could take that beating because it won't matter in determining who gets into the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

I don't think teams would leave. As noted earlier in this thread, Georgia schools already are required to make and submit their schedules much earlier. And honestly, making a schedule (even for a school like Columbia) is not hard. Yes, it is a shame that Buchholz, Gainesville, and Suwannee have all dropped Columbia. You could play more St Johns County schools (PV, Bartram, St. Augustine), you could skip Alachua County and play Marion County (Vanguard, North Marion, and Ocala Trinity Catholic), west (Lincoln, FSU High, Wakulla, Madison), Georgia (Valdosta, Lowndes, Brooks County, Camden County), Jax (Raines, Ribault, Riverside, Bolles, Trinity Christian, maybe Sandalwood and Fletcher). Yes, bad schools play good schools in Urban districts because most of the time, the school district makes them. It would be like Fort White playing Columbia.

By the way, this is why the RPI system sucks. It makes teams too self-conscious about wins and losses rather than just playing. If it was simply champion and runner-up, non-district schedule doesn't matter. Suwannee could take that beating because it won't matter in determining who gets into the playoffs. 

We can't get a lot of those teams you listed to play us, at least not in the regular season

And only way we can get lowndes is one year deal on the road, they refuse to travel across the border 

Lincoln, sandalwood and Fletcher won't play us unless they in district, idk why Ribault haven't tried to play us but the teams in Jacksonville who are willing to play Columbia are on our schedule this year (Raines, Bolles, TCA) and I respect them scheduling us 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

For a program like Suwannee who wants to THINK They are still a big deal because of the 4 championships in a small classification shouldn't be afraid of little ole one championship Columbia regardless 

If they want to keep running their mouth about how much better a program they are they should step up regardless

They won't play because they are no longer relevant