Matchups That You Can’t Wait to See in 2021

THIS_IS_DILLARD

On 7/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I’ve been saying it’s gotten way out of control. 

let college be college , NFL be NFL & let high school stay high school. That’s why you work your ass off to get to the next level because you know as you reach higher level different perks come along with it “Fame fortune etc”

so yeah for the fans of these schools that are super excited as they team get transfer after transfer because in their mind that screams “CHAMPIONSHIP” Yeah that MIGHT! be the case ; but at what cost ???

Agree 100%. 

1 hour ago, PinellasFB said:

Chaminade vs Buford GA will be a very interesting game.

I think if Buford is the Buford of old they’re gonna win this going away. 

the lions have speed, girth & heart but they have very little depth. Add that with the coaching of Buford & you have a problem. 

I don’t follow Buford at all so I don’t know anything about them but u do know they use to be one of the elites in GA

12 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

the lions have speed, girth & heart but they have very little depth. Add that with the coaching of Buford & you have a problem. 

I don’t follow Buford at all so I don’t know anything about them but u do know they use to be one of the elites in GA

For what it's worth, MaxPreps has Buford ranked 64th in the nation in their pre-season rankings. 

37 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

They also have chaminade ranked in the top 100 nationally. Hmmm

So I guess if we beat them in the KOC we (Dillard) should really be put on notice lol.

I'm not a fan of pre-season rankings -- especially those that try to compare high school teams in different parts of the country.   That's why I started out my last post with the words "For what it's worth." 

That said, if Dillard takes care of business in the KOC, and then in the regular season, the rankings will take care of themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I'm not a fan of pre-season rankings -- especially those that try to compare high school teams in different parts of the country.   That's why I started out my last post with the words "For what it's worth." 

That said, if Dillard takes care of business in the KOC, and then in the regular season, the rankings will take care of themselves. 

Also, and again "for what it's worth," the MaxPreps pre-season rankings can't be very accurate.  Not only is Madison County not # 1, they aren't even in the top twenty!   How can that be Jesse?  B)

9 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Facts, and the rankings started last year actually we just have to keep doing what we’ve been doing since 2018 which is winning our last regular season lost was 2018 we’re going into 2022.

I never thought as a panther I would see the day, we’ve had a lot of down years man but staying tough and faithful it’s awesome to see the turn around. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

I'm not a fan of pre-season rankings How can any HS football fan put any credence in preseason rankings, especially with the number of transfers that are drastically altering the talent levels of many of the HS football teams here in Florida? 

10 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I'm not a fan of pre-season rankings How can any HS football fan put any credence in preseason rankings, especially with the number of transfers that are drastically altering the talent levels of many of the HS football teams here in Florida? 

Exactly, plus sometimes the higher ranked team is not always better then the lower ranked team, a lot of things can happen through the course of a football season. 

10 hours ago, fishspinners said:

I was thinking that last season, but this season it looks like the talent on that side of town is more spread around than it usually is. I'm leaning more towards Gaither being the new Armwood as far as Hillsborough Co goes.

Bloomingdale seems to have the better coaching staff in terms of getting the most out of what they have. But, Gaither looks more equipped to attract the most talent. 

6 hours ago, skyway said:

Bloomingdale seems to have the better coaching staff in terms of getting the most out of what they have. But, Gaither looks more equipped to attract the most talent. 

What’s crazy is down south those schools have a never even been heard of lol don’t even sound like a football school. 

woukd love to see some film on them.

2 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

What’s crazy is down south those schools have a never even been heard of lol don’t even sound like a football school. 

Until a team makes it to the State game and puts up a good showing, most fans from outside its area would have never heard of them unless they have a tradition of playing on the road and upsetting teams every so often. 

11 hours ago, skyway said:

Bingo!

Bloomingdale had a couple of exceptionable athletes on their team last year, including their QB and a stud WR (Ajai Hall, by way of IMG by way of Armwood . . .).  But, by and large, they over-performed relative to their overall talent.  They met their match in the state semi-finals last year against a STA team that simply wore the Bulls down and capitalized on their mistakes. 

Gaither, on the other hand, had all kinds of talent last year, but couldn't seal the deal.  In my opinion, their coaches (starting at the top) create a toxic environment that is attractive to a certain type of player.  They end up with a team that easily hangs 50 points on a team with inferior talent during the regular season, but doesn't have the character to win a close game when it really counts.  Again, just my opinion.  

In an earlier post, I suggested that Bloomingdale likely would digress a little this year.  They may prove me wrong.  I don't know about Gaither.  Last summer, there was a lot of 'transfer buzz.'  I haven't heard the same thing this summer, but I'm a step or two removed from the game now, so don't put too much faith in that observation.  

6 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Some of that has to do with the fact that Dade and Broward are their own little bubble, basically separate in most every way from the rest of the state. Most of the players and fans down there haven't heard of most any teams from different parts of the state. And some of it is because those teams usually wouldn't be able to hang with the best in Dade/Broward anyway.

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Bingo!

Bloomingdale had a couple of exceptionable athletes on their team last year, including their QB and a stud WR (Ajai Hall, by way of IMG by way of Armwood . . .).  But, by and large, they over-performed relative to their overall talent.  They met their match in the state semi-finals last year against a STA team that simply wore the Bulls down and capitalized on their mistakes. 

Gaither, on the other hand, had all kinds of talent last year, but couldn't seal the deal.  In my opinion, their coaches (starting at the top) create a toxic environment that is attractive to a certain type of player.  They end up with a team that easily hangs 50 points on a team with inferior talent during the regular season, but doesn't have the character to win a close game when it really counts.  Again, just my opinion.  

In an earlier post, I suggested that Bloomingdale likely would digress a little this year.  They may prove me wrong.  I don't know about Gaither.  Last summer, there was a lot of 'transfer buzz.'  I haven't heard the same thing this summer, but I'm a step or two removed from the game now, so don't put too much faith in that observation.  

If the better coached program can keep much of it's staff in place, in the long run they may be able to get the players as well. We saw Bloomingdale win a lot of games in 2018 and 2019 as well. Like you said, just never had the talent across the board to get to a state title level. Bloomingdale is a bit out of the way for players considering the move, though. Armwood has access to both Plant City kids and some kids from more urban areas to the west being right off I-4. I don't think Armwood is going away any time soon.

22 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I keep an eye on GA HS football and the elite of that state are probably better than the elite of FL, at least thats the way its been the past few years.  Buford is one of the GA power teams so I love it when its a GA vs FL matchup.  FL has been taking on the chin from GA the past couple of years so it would be nice for Chaminade to represent in this game.

17 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

I keep an eye on GA HS football and the elite of that state are probably better than the elite of FL, at least thats the way its been the past few years.  Buford is one of the GA power teams so I love it when its a GA vs FL matchup.  FL has been taking on the chin from GA the past couple of years so it would be nice for Chaminade to represent in this game.

Georgia-Florida match-ups can be a little misleading sometimes.   The upcoming Chaminade/Buford game is an example. 

Buford is a public school with a student population of 1,500+ (1,543 in 2019-20).   They play in Georgia's second-highest classification (6A).  If their population has stayed the same, they likely would be one of the largest 5A schools (or possibly one of the smallest 6A schools) if they were located in Florida instead of Georgia. 

Chaminade-Madonna, on the other hand, is a private school in Florida that plays in the 3A classification (based on a student population of 480 in 2020).   So, based on student population, Buford is three times the size of Chaminade.  

Chaminade is traveling to Buford, which is northeast of Atlanta.  That means Chaminade either has to fly or they'll be on one helluva long bus ride.  Either way, the travel will take a little out of them.  I would expect that Chaminade will keep the game close in the first half, but Buford will wear them down and pull away with a comfortable win in the second half, perhaps with a final score that doesn't reflect how close the game may have been for 3 quarters. 

And after all that, people will get on message boards to proclaim how much better high school football teams are in Georgia than Florida.  ;)

6 hours ago, skyway said:

Some of that has to do with the fact that Dade and Broward are their own little bubble, basically separate in most every way from the rest of the state. Most of the players and fans down there haven't heard of most any teams from different parts of the state. And some of it is because those teams usually wouldn't be able to hang with the best in Dade/Broward anyway.

Lol I agree with you about the own little bubble part because we really are in our own south Florida bubble. 

when broward county population is 2 million and Miami dade county population is 2.3 million. It’s kind of easy to do.