Kickoff Classic or 11th game

Hwy17

4 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Who would rather have an 11 game regular season than a kickoff classic that doesn't count? Seems to me a lot of hype gets put on these games and the tone for the rest of the season is set by them. If they actually counted would it change who you schedule?

It will count nationally, if you’re ranked, although not in the win-loss column. I like the KO Classic. If it counted as a win or loss, we might not see the good out of county matchups. I like a practice game. Jus my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

Who would rather have an 11 game regular season than a kickoff classic that doesn't count? Seems to me a lot of hype gets put on these games and the tone for the rest of the season is set by them. If they actually counted would it change who you schedule?

I personally would rather have the 11th game instead of the KOC. You already have Spring games and Spring Jamborees that don't count, so do you really need a KOC where coaches can empty the benches and you possibly get a few minutes or maybe a quarter to see your starters play. If the game doesn't count, why risk injury to your starters? Spring is the time for jamborees, play to win in the Fall.

5 hours ago, HornetFan said:

I personally would rather have the 11th game instead of the KOC. You already have Spring games and Spring Jamborees that don't count, so do you really need a KOC where coaches can empty the benches and you possibly get a few minutes or maybe a quarter to see your starters play. If the game doesn't count, why risk injury to your starters? Spring is the time for jamborees, play to win in the Fall.

I made a post about this earlier depending on the matchup that KOC can count, especially in the rankings which can effect your standings and etc come playoff time. 

because when you lose or win in the KOC your rankings either go up or down. And down south most teams play their starters well into the second half.

1 hour ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I made a post about this earlier depending on the matchup that KOC can count, especially in the rankings which can effect your standings and etc come playoff time. 

because when you lose or win in the KOC your rankings either go up or down. And down south most teams play their starters well into the second half.

"because when you lose or win in the KOC your rankings either go up or down"

If the KOC was intended to have an effect on a team's ranking, they should be playing the game as a regular season game. Some teams will not risk injury to key players in a game that does not count in the standings; this makes perfect sense, especially if the kid(s) are coming off an injury. Some coaches play the game for what it is; an exhibition game to get the team and also the fans ready for the new season. Also to give as many kids as possible an opportunity to get in the game. 

4 hours ago, HornetFan said:

"because when you lose or win in the KOC your rankings either go up or down"

If the KOC was intended to have an effect on a team's ranking, they should be playing the game as a regular season game. Some teams will not risk injury to key players in a game that does not count in the standings; this makes perfect sense, especially if the kid(s) are coming off an injury. Some coaches play the game for what it is; an exhibition game to get the team and also the fans ready for the new season. Also to give as many kids as possible an opportunity to get in the game. 

I agree, but yet the losing team still tends to have their rankings go down or the winner still tends have their rankings inflated in the win depending on the matchup. 

17 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

If it's going to affect rankings, then it should count as a regular game.

Personally, I like the KOC and the flexibility it gives coaches to use the game in a way that helps them in their preparation for the season.  It should have no bearing on the rankings as how they agree to conduct the game can change from year to year.  Most kids are tired of hitting their own in practice and look forward to a tune-up hitting someone else.  Case in point, we played Edgewater this year and both sides agreed for 2nd line players in the first quarter to see what they looked like in game conditions instead of practice.  A few years back when West Orange was very good they preferred to play it as a regular game against us to gauge where they really were competitively.  Let each team decide what path is best for them to prepare for a successful season.

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Personally, I like the KOC and the flexibility it gives coaches to use the game in a way that helps them in their preparation for the season.  It should have no bearing on the rankings as how they agree to conduct the game can change from year to year.  Most kids are tired of hitting their own in practice and look forward to a tune-up hitting someone else.  Case in point, we played Edgewater this year and both sides agreed for 2nd line players in the first quarter to see what they looked like in game conditions instead of practice.  A few years back when West Orange was very good they preferred to play it as a regular game against us to gauge where they really were competitively.  Let each team decide what path is best for them to prepare for a successful season.

Exactly because you can’t tell me a iMG vs Miami central KOC wouldn’t be played as a real game. 

also if you’re a Florida team playing a out of state game home or away as a KOC that counts as your first official game.

4 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Then call it a scrimmage

23 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Then call it a scrimmage

I see scrimmages as something you do on a practice field in front of maybe a few parents against your team or another one 

The moment you take the field on a stadium it is something much different but hey what do I know 

Most people on this board think they have all the answers so they can continue to believe whatever they want to believe