2016 Head Coaching News

SportsNut25

Pahokee did pretty well in 2015 considering how bad they fell in recent years. I wonder why the sudden change. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Pahokee Blue Devils go 9-3.

Yes they went 9-3 for 2015.  Here are some details of the Pahokee situation over the last  few months...

http://highschoolbuzz.blog.pbgametime.com/2016/01/31/football-pahokee-conducting-search-for-new-football-coach/

@BrowardHandicapper With a record like 1-9 you need to bounce, then again the district didn't help much.

Agree, Cardinal Newman played 3A in a three team District which included Oxbridge Academy and AHD.....pretty much a losing proposition any way you cut it.  Cardinal Newman considered joining one of the Independent Football leagues but apparently will stay put in the same District with Oxbridge Academy and AHD.  Good luck Cardinal Newman!

Agree, Cardinal Newman played 3A in a three team District which included Oxbridge Academy and AHD.....pretty much a losing proposition any way you cut it.  Cardinal Newman considered joining one of the Independent Football leagues but apparently will stay put in the same District with Oxbridge Academy and AHD.  Good luck Cardinal Newman!

St John Paul II (formerly known as Pope John Paul II) just moved up from independent play into 3A-7 with CN, AHD and Ox. 

@BrowardHandicapper I just realized you wrote Cardinal Newman not Cardinal Gibbons. See I was talking about an entirely different team lol....

Ha! well that Cardinal Gibbons District in 2015 was a losing proposition as well!  2016 will likely be up for grabs though after AHP for that District.  

As sportsnut25 noted, St. John Paul has been added to District 3A-7 with Cardinal Newman, Oxbridge Academy and AHD. So I guess two teams will battle for 1st and two teams will battle for 3rd there.  That has to suck, trying to build your team in that District with those 2 solid programs knowing only two will advance....

Man their not stable at Ely.....

Ely is another team that was way better then it's record. Dwyer barely beat them and Dwyer was one of the top 7A teams in the State. Nakia Jenkins got two years just like Earl Little. You put Ely and Jackson in any other part of Florida and they fair much better....Do these schools really believe a coaching change will ever get them past the second round of the Playoffs vs. STA and AHP? Good luck with that Jackson and Ely!

Here is a updated summary of recent coaching changes thanks to Wells Dusenbury of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Carol City AD is now disputing recent reports that Damon Cogdell has been hired as the the new Carol City DC.  Cogdell told several South Florida media sources that he was hired at that position with the Chiefs.

South Plantation has hired former Coral Springs DC Dominic Anderson has Head Coach.  3rd Coach in three seasons there.

Hallandale hired the former BTW OC Benedict Hyppolite as Head Coach.

JP Taravella hired the former Stoneman Douglas Asst. and DC Charles Hafley as Head Coach.  Longtime Teacher and Coach Dan Marguriet retired from teaching and coaching at Taravella.

Nakia Jenkins HC who just got let go by Blanche Ely was quickly picked up as the new OC at Dillard.  

This one surprised me a bit - West Broward hired Monte Dilworth as the new HC.  Dilworth is also the Track Coach and Head Strength Coach at West Broward High School.  Dilworth also played and did some JV Coaching at Miami Northwestern.  Not sure what happened with Reyna Thompson at West Broward but in his first year he led the Bobcats to a 7-4 season and made the playoffs.  West Broward went 1-9 in 2014.

Former longtime STA assistant Marty Popler lost his battle with cancer at the age of 66.  Popler was at STA for 33 years as a Teacher , served as the Boys JV Baseball Coach, and the Girls Golf team where he won four consecutive State Championships in the 80's.

American Senior HS in Hialeah fired Anthony White today after two seasons. 

White guided the team to a 9-2 record in 2014 and a 6-5 record in 2015. The team exited the playoffs in the regional quarterfinals both seasons. 

2014 =  9-2 with losses to South Dade and Plantation in the 7A Playoffs

move up to 8A 

2015 =  6-5 with losses to Northwestern, @ Norland, @ Oxbridge, Carol City, and Columbus in the 8A playoffs

Fired in March of 2016.....things that make you go hmm...

Not sure what American HS  is expecting,  but looking forward to see who is hired to get American past Columbus   :P

Just wanted to add to this story:

Apparently, White's termination happened when there were rumors circulating that his heavily D1  recruited son (Anthony White Jr.) was/has transferred to Miami Central.

Crazy story out of Fernandina Beach HS -- "Sources tell FootballScoop that head coach Josh Charles has left the program. The school is now looking for its fourth head coach in a year."

Wow! I looked back the last 15 years for Fernandina Beach and they have only had 2 winning seasons.   FB has averaged a little over 3 wins a year in the last 15 years.  FB plays in a very top-heavy 4A District with Raines and Bolles.  It will snow in Jacksonville before Fernandina defeats those teams.  Sometimes going Independent is not a bad thing - just to find your identity....just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's going on with Mandarin High School? I mean a 12-1 year last year should put them in a decent position to have big hire, if there is a young up and coming coaching looking to make a change. 

From what I gather Mandarin Head Coach Braddock stepped down 3 weeks ago and took a job at St. Augustine (where he also played).  I'm sure there will be a long list of quality applicants and candidates of all ages....

Mandarin is a pretty big and established program...it seems sometimes the bigger programs take a little longer on a hire.

I'll just throw this out there....Ricky Medlock was fired by Fletcher coming off a 5-5 record .  Medlock had been with the Fletcher program for 18 years.  Before that he spent 5 years with the Mandarin program when they were initially starting up and really helped build the Mandarin Program up  going back to the early 90s.