Venice routs Miami Northwestern 56-34

Steve U

Venice Indians traveled to the legendary Traz Powell stadium and drops 56 pts on Miami Northwestern incredible performance -A huge shout out to Coach John Peacock and his staff they don’t duck anyone just look at their schedule this year-They moved up to 8A-They are a favorite to reach the state title game and win it.They may have the best offense in the state remarkable precision and efficiency in their first game.

Congratulations to the Venice Indians on an impressive win against Northwestern at Traz Powell Stadium. However, this was a preseason game so it did not count but if your Venice or anything to do with Venice you should be excited about this season. As for Northwestern I know they alumni is pissed preason or not they want to win but more so waiting for that Champagnat Catholic game which will tell people how Northwestern fairs out this season.

24 minutes ago, Steve U said:

Venice Indians traveled to the legendary Traz Powell stadium and drops 56 pts on Miami Northwestern incredible performance -A huge shout out to Coach John Peacock and his staff they don’t duck anyone just look at their schedule this year-They moved up to 8A-They are a favorite to reach the state title game and win it.They may have the best offense in the state remarkable precision and efficiency in their first game.

After this game, I don’t think any team is even going to come close to Venice this year. They scored 56 points on arguably one of the toughest defenses in the country, and it would have been 63 had the receiver not dropped the ball in the end zone in the second quarter.

There are a few things to clean up: There were a lot of needless penalties, and I believe the secondary needs a little work. There was a lot of cramping on both sides. All in all, Venice looked fantastic and I’m excited for the season to start. Cardinal Gibbons is going to be a great test for Venice to start the regular season.

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

After this game, I don’t think any team is even going to come close to Venice this year. They scored 56 points on arguably one of the toughest defenses in the country, and it would have been 63 had the receiver not dropped the ball in the end zone in the second quarter.

There are a few things to clean up: There were a lot of needless penalties, and I believe the secondary needs a little work. There was a lot of cramping on both sides. All in all, Venice looked fantastic and I’m excited for the season to start. Cardinal Gibbons is going to be a great test for Venice to start the regular season.

Yeah no 

Miami Northwestern this year is a team living off its name, If anyone had bothered to look up their roster like I did they would know this Miami Northwestern team is far from the loaded team they tend to be 

They have some talent but are very young, their senior and junior classes aren't loaded by any stretch and most ranking sites ranked them way too high because they only rank teams that people would recognize the names of 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah no 

Miami Northwestern this year is a team living off its name, If anyone had bothered to look up their roster like I did they would know this Miami Northwestern team is far from the loaded team they tend to be 

They have some talent but are very young, their senior and junior classes aren't loaded by any stretch and most ranking sites ranked them way too high because they only rank teams that people would recognize the names of 

Thank you.  Venice slow down dude the west ain't the same. Any way madco about to get right with the greatest highschool ever in America.  Which they own 3-0

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Usually NW is the team with the big plays. Venice had em all last night. Impressed with their DL. The best the Indians have had, that I’ve seen. QB was a lil indecisive, but he wasn’t playing the girl scouts. Home run hitter RB’s. OL had some trouble with the speed of the Bulls DL, but the OC helped em out. I saw Western on Thursday night. Venice would b 20+ point favorite.  Next week should b a good one. Tough field to play on.  

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah no 

Having said that, they put up 34 points on a good Venice defense! They may not b “loaded”, but they gotta good QB & receivers. Defense was smaller than usual. NW was in the game with 6 minutes to go. They’re biggest problem might b a lack of leadership. They had no “fire” the entire game.  Don’t sell em out, by any means! 

49 minutes ago, Steve U said:

Yeah they are unbelievable preseason or not they were spectacular-Gibbons is loaded on both sides but, Venice is going to present a major challenge-Home or away for Venice?

It’s a home game, I believe Venice will win in a defensive slug fest.  Cardinal Gibbons always has athletes! Can’t wait for the regular season to start. 

11 minutes ago, Jullian said:

Having said that, they put up 34 points on a good Venice defense! They may not b “loaded”, but they gotta good QB & receivers. Defense was smaller than usual. NW was in the game with 6 minutes to go. They’re biggest problem might b a lack of leadership. They had no “fire” the entire game.  Don’t sell em out, by any means! 

Northwestern is always a great team. They will be just fine. I was shocked Venice scored as much as they did. Venice is for real, this is going to be their best team in school history. Or second best, maybe. But anyway, I’m hearing now that STA is playing St. Frances at 12 noon instead of the 7:00 pm start it was originally scheduled to have. Is this correct?

14 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Northwestern is always a great team. They will be just fine. I was shocked Venice scored as much as they did. Venice is for real, this is going to be their best team in school history. Or second best, maybe. But anyway, I’m hearing now that STA is playing St. Frances at 12 noon instead of the 7:00 pm start it was originally scheduled to have. Is this correct?

Did you look at what I posted?

They are about as loaded in their senior and junior class as Columbia is but most think they aren't ever gonna be good enough to contend for a championship but Miami Northwestern is believable as a top 50 ranked team nationally? 

34 minutes ago, Jullian said:

They do look to have some good offensive talent but the defense is a question mark

Having said that they probably still a final 4 team but they don't look like a state championship team, them winning a state title this year would say more to a weak 6a then a strong MNW team 

14 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Did you look at what I posted?

They are about as loaded in their senior and junior class as Columbia is but most think they aren't ever gonna be good enough to contend for a championship but Miami Northwestern is believable as a top 50 ranked team nationally? 

Well, yes, historically that argument could be made. They may not be as loaded talent-wise as in years past, but they certainly aren’t a bad team. Venice was badly outmanned up front, but the o-line still held up really well and the defense stood like dry paint against the run. I’m hearing Columbia has a good squad this season. Has their defense improved significantly, as I would be led to believe?

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They do look to have some good offensive talent but the defense is a question mark

Having said that they probably still a final 4 team but they don't look like a state championship team, them winning a state title this year would say more to a weak 6a then a strong MNW team 

Jones is thirsting for revenge and Jesuit will have something to say about that, too.

Noon is what I’ve seen.  

super impressed with Venice. 

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Jones is thirsting for revenge and Jesuit will have something to say about that, too.

We will see, I heard some good things from people who were at the Sanford Seminole game but some concerns as well for Jones

I do think at this stage Jesuit is the best team in 6a but a lot can change between now and December

Well, yes, historically that argument could be made. They may not be as loaded talent-wise as in years past, but they certainly aren’t a bad team. Venice was badly outmanned up front, but the o-line still held up really well and the defense stood like dry paint against the run. I’m hearing Columbia has a good squad this season. Has their defense improved significantly, as I would be led to believe?

Their defense looked pretty good last night against a vanguard team that was suppose to be very good offensively, vanguard got 1 big play through the air that allowed them to escape with a tie in the final minutes but most of the night Columbia was putting heavy pressure on them and even forced 2 fumbles in a half of Varsity play 

This is Columbia best defense since probably 2012-2015 time period IMO 

Offense has some room to improve but our QB was coming off a week long quarantine with not practicing with the team as well as missing our starting center (this was clear as we saw a lot of botched snaps early on) as well as one of our starting receivers and a starting safety due to quarantine and were still down 2 RBs due to precautions as both are trying to work their way back from off-season injuries 

If the offensive line steps up this Columbia team could be top 15-20 in Florida by mid-end of season

5 hours ago, Steve U said:

No doubt Venice is a scoring machine. With that said, it is a little know fact that historically state champions have given up 15 points or less on average per game. Now Venice has a very strong schedule, so, I am willing, in their case, to up the average points per game number to 20. However, if they continue to give up 4 touchdowns or more per game, regardless of competition, they may well run into a team, deep in the playoffs, that they have difficulty scoring against. In that case, 28 points may well be enough to take down the "mighty Indians." There is lots of football to go, so a little perspective (with a small p) may be wise. 

I would make Venice favorite to make the title game and, perhaps, win it all. However, I will not be in the least bit surprised if they get taken out in the fourth round or in the title game. 

15 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Their defense looked pretty good last night against a vanguard team that was suppose to be very good offensively, vanguard got 1 big play through the air that allowed them to escape with a tie in the final minutes but most of the night Columbia was putting heavy pressure on them and even forced 2 fumbles in a half of Varsity play 

Offense has some room to improve but our QB was coming off a week long quarantine with not practicing with the team as well as missing our starting center (this was clear as we saw a lot of botched snaps early on) as well as one of our starting receivers and a starting safety due to quarantine and were still down 2 RBs due to precautions as both are trying to work their way back from off-season injuries 

If the offensive line steps up this Columbia team could be top 15-20 in Florida by mid-end of season

You do realize that Vanguard played with their Sophomore QB Fred Gaskin last night. He is normally a RB and has never played QB. They didn't play their starting Sr QB Ronnie Joe Gilchrist for reasons unknown to me. ;) 

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That’s great to hear. It Sounds like Columbia has most of the puzzle figured out already. Defense looked good, from some of what I have seen and heard. Offense needs some time to improve. Do you know if their returning starters will be ready to play for next week? American Heritage-Delray is going to be a very good game, and possibly a tough test for this Columbia team.

53 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

No doubt Venice is a scoring machine. With that said, it is a little know fact that historically state champions have given up 15 points or less on average per game. Now Venice has a very strong schedule, so, I am willing, in their case, to up the average points per game number to 20. However, if they continue to give up 4 touchdowns or more per game, regardless of competition, they may well run into a team, deep in the playoffs, that they have difficulty scoring against. In that case, 28 points may well be enough to take down the "mighty Indians." There is lots of football to go, so a little perspective (with a small p) may be wise. 

I would make Venice favorite to make the title game and, perhaps, win it all. However, I will not be in the least bit surprised if they get taken out in the fourth round or in the title game. 

Venice has some new players in their secondary, so growing pains were to be expected. There were a lot of needless penalties last night, as well as a slant pattern that killed them almost every single time it was called. There are still some kinks to work out, but Venice has a very solid base to build upon and grow from. Miami Northwestern is no pushover, but I’m glad Venice played them so early in the preseason. This gives the coaches a lot of film to study, and teaching points that will help them be more successful. 

I am very intrigued by next weeks matchup against Gibbons. Cardinal Gibbons is the embodiment of everything Venice has struggled with in the past: elite speed and agility. If Venice is to win next weeks game, they need to clean up all of the penalties and take serious steps to strengthen their secondary in the span of a week. If they can do this, they will win a very tough, hard fought game. If they can’t, and they start slow, Gibbons will blow them off the field. This next week is going to tell much of the story about how far Venice will go this season, and I am very excited for football to begin again. 

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

You do realize that Vanguard played with their Sophomore QB Fred Gaskin last night. He is normally a RB and has never played QB. They didn't play their starting Sr QB Ronnie Joe Gilchrist for reasons unknown to me. ;) 

We had a QB coming off a week long quarantine and no practice while also missing our primary 2 RBs and our starting center 

Overall the issue for vanguard was they couldn't protect the QB regardless of who was throwing and they couldn't stop shooting themselves in the Foot with penalties

@Joshua Wilson can confirm this as he was standing next to me for most of the game

14 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

That’s great to hear. It Sounds like Columbia has most of the puzzle figured out already. Defense looked good, from some of what I have seen and heard. Offense needs some time to improve. Do you know if their returning starters will be ready to play for next week? American Heritage-Delray is going to be a very good game, and possibly a tough test for this Columbia team.

Center should be back as should the safety

I think jailen brown (one of the RBs) may be back while Fulton (other RB) probably will not be ready until Bolles or Oakleaf game 

But based on what I'm seeing with AHD I could see Columbia winning by double digits