Game choice this week

Mike E

Our game with St. Cloud has been re-scheduled for Sept. 27, a Monday; sandwiched in between Manatee the Friday prior and Windermere (district opponent) the Friday after.  No official word, but most likely due to Covid issue with the opponents players.  To limit my drive (age issue), will probably drop by the Winter Park vs Lake Nona which is close to home and might be more competitive than one might think.

I am going to watch the Seminole vs Sarasota Riverview game. Earlier was thinking Dp vs Jones. But after seeing the result of the Lake Minneola game, I think I will pass on that one. I also considered the Edgewater vs Bishop Moore game, but I don't feel comfortable with a packed house in a relatively small stadium. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Our game with St. Cloud has been re-scheduled for Sept. 27, a Monday; sandwiched in between Manatee the Friday prior and Windermere (district opponent) the Friday after.  No official word, but most likely due to Covid issue with the opponents players.  To limit my drive (age issue), will probably drop by the Winter Park vs Lake Nona which is close to home and might be more competitive than one might think.

So, a high school team will play a game on a Friday night, play again 3 days later on a Monday night and then play 4 days later on a Friday night?  Three games in eight days?   Dang. 

Just now, Perspective said:

So, a high school team will play a game on a Friday night, play again 3 days later on a Monday night and then play 4 days later on a Friday night?  Three games in eight days?   Dang. 

Crazy as it seems, that is what is posted on the Kowboy facebook page as well as confirmed with other reliable sources.  No doubt accurate info.

1 hour ago, Jullian said:

Going to Chaminade @ Western. Wildcats have a lot of fight in em. Good QB & skill positions. LB undersized but quick & tough. Chaminade.......well they’ll play Lion FB. Pinko has it -20 Cham. Sun-sentinel has it -7 Cham. 

I picked Western in a weekly projection on another website

11 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So I missed one pick

It's probably still less than the Amount of times you missed picking against Columbia like you probably would have this week too if the game had been listed 

Just busting balls man. I thought that game was a coin flip. Slight lean to Cham-Mad

But I would have taken Columbia all day against AH-D.

Did get to check out Winter Park vs Lake Nona last night and the Wildcats defense was the difference maker in the game with 21 of the 35 points coming on pick 6's plus blocked punt return for 6.  Offensively, running game seemed at bit lacking but I never saw Terrence Gibbs (RB) in the game.  Does anyone have an update on his status (health issues)?  Final score was 35-14 so pretty good showing.  On a side note, the highlights I caught last night on CJ Baxter for Edgewater vs BM were frightening; you best get to this man early or it will be a long night.  He had over 170 yards in the first half against a traditionally solid team.  Sat the second half with an early running clock.

8 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Did get to check out Winter Park vs Lake Nona last night and the Wildcats defense was the difference maker in the game with 21 of the 35 points coming on pick 6's plus blocked punt return for 6.  Offensively, running game seemed at bit lacking but I never saw Terrence Gibbs (RB) in the game.  Does anyone have an update on his status (health issues)?  Final score was 35-14 so pretty good showing.  On a side note, the highlights I caught last night on CJ Baxter for Edgewater vs BM were frightening; you best get to this man early or it will be a long night.  He had over 170 yards in the first half against a traditionally solid team.  Sat the second half with an early running clock.

Terrance Gibbs (WP 4 star senior RB - UF commit with over 30 D-1 offers) missed all last season with a torn ACL. According to my source on the team, Terrance is physically ok, but may not play in the first 3 games of the season. He's been working out, but hasn't been participating in any hitting drills yet. He was on the sideline last night, but not dressed out. WP was also without 3 star junior RB Amaris Shaw (8 D-1 offers so far, including FSU and Tennessee) for most of 1st half; he played the 2nd half and had some nice runs. When Terrance returns, WP will have a strong running game. WP's defense played well for the 2nd week in a row. 

27 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Terrance Gibbs (WP 4 star senior RB - UF commit with over 30 D-1 offers) missed all last season with a torn ACL. According to my source on the team, Terrance is physically ok, but may not play in the first 3 games of the season. He's been working out, but hasn't been participating in any hitting drills yet. He was on the sideline last night, but not dressed out. WP was also without 3 star junior RB Amaris Shaw (8 D-1 offers so far, including FSU and Tennessee) for most of 1st half; he played the 2nd half and had some nice runs. When Terrance returns, WP will have a strong running game. WP's defense played well for the 2nd week in a row. 

Hornet, thanks for the update as I was aware about him rehabbing the ACL injury just was hoping to see him perform last night.  The Shaw kid did help the running game in the 2nd half, so I am sure that Gibbs return will make that running attack look much better than it did last night.

16 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Hornet, thanks for the update as I was aware about him rehabbing the ACL injury just was hoping to see him perform last night.  The Shaw kid did help the running game in the 2nd half, so I am sure that Gibbs return will make that running attack look much better than it did last night.

The coaching staff at WP is being real careful with Terrance Gibbs. He's an amazing RB with great pass catching skills also. They don't want to risk his future at UF and thereafter. Having Amaris Shaw at RB makes it a lot easier to give Terrance a few more weeks. The word I get from my grandson is that Terrance has been awesome in practice.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of interesting matchups this week again as reflected in the Pick 'Em thread.  We travel to Manatee who despite being 0-3 is still a game our kids need to take seriously as their losses are to Gulliver Prep, Lakeland and Palmetto.  As previously mentioned, a record is not the only indicator of a quality team but the opponents faced.  Beating someone 50-0 on the surface may seem impressive, but in reality it is just sad and no cause for beating one's chest.  At my age, I may not travel to Bradenton but instead check out one of the premier matchups in our area tomorrow which is Apopka vs Edgewater; especially in light of the fact that both myself and Darter have thrown props to running back CJ Baxter.  It may have been seen at the time just hyperbole, but the Orlando Sentinel reported this morning he just added to his list of offers:   ALABAMA!    Nuff Said.

Made a good decision not driving to Bradenton as Manatee self imploded early and it went down from there.  Turnovers, penalties and no chance against our D Line doomed them from the start.  Halftime was 42-0, so we cleared the benches the 2nd half and final 48-7 with a running clock.  Not pretty.  Apopka vs Edgewater as advertised with a real slugfest ending with the Eagles winning 16-7. Noticed an OL lost by Apopka on the first play of the game and don't know how much that may have hurt them offensively.