8A Second Round Predictions and Thoughts

DarterBlue2

Lake Brantley at Mandarin - Lake Brantley by 14. Lake Brantley has a state title caliber offense. Unfortunately, with the exception of the Bishop Moore game, their defense has not looked stellar. I expect this game                                              to be a high scoring one in the region of 100 points total with LB getting the better of it.

Apopka at West Orange   -  WO by 10. Darlington has not lost to the same team twice in a season since 2000. However, while I think he keeps it close, I don't think this APK team can beat this WO team.

Manatee at Dr. Phillips     -  Dr. Phillips by 3. Dr. Phillips had a bad game against Steinbrenner. Manatee confirmed my impressions against Oak Ridge. I pick DP. solely because of home field advantage.

Vero Beach at Osceola    -  Vero Beach by 1. I see this as an even game and a very difficult one to pick. I was tempted to go with Osceola at home. However, I believe VB is the more complete team and that it                                                   finds a way to win.

Boca Raton at Atlantic     -   Atlantic by 24. This is a rematch of a game Atlantic won handily. I see them winning bigger this time.

Flanagan at Deerfield B   -  Flanagan by 24. The better team with the better defense wins comfortably, injuries and all.

Columbus at Coral Gab   -  Coral Gables win by 4. I think Gables is the better team and though Columbus has a great staff, like Apopka, I don't think they have enough this year.

Southridge at South D     -  South Dade by 7. Another rematch with the same outcome. The winner the first time wins again. This one will be closer as I think Southridge has improved since the first meeting.

Thoughts and/or comments

Semi Finals

North:

Lake Brantley vs Dr. Phillips - I reserve my pick till the week of the game.

South:

Flanagan vs Coral Gables - I am going to take Flanagan, injuries and all

Agree with Mandarin.  

Hard to fathom Apopka losing by 10 .  I think West Orange by 4ish.

I got to lean Manatee by 3.  Isn't Dr. Phillips known to choke under pressure?

Agree with Vero Beach in a close one.

Agree with Atlantic.  Atlantic will do whatever they want with Boca Raton.

I don't see Flanagan taking this by 24.  Deerfield is known for serious Home Cooking this time of year.  They blast hip hop music when the opposing offense is in the huddle and until the ball snaps. Refs go blind to it..... 2 years ago they robbed Flanagan with a phantom Offensive Pass Interference call in overtime that would have been the TD victory.  Flanagan stuffed Brandon Powell all night that night as well.  I got Flanagan in a tight one by 4 here.

Agree with Coral Gables by 4.  If Columbus finds a way to win... it is likely with coaching.

I got South Dade  by 10+ here.

Agree with Mandarin.  

I don't see Flanagan taking this by 24.  Deerfield is known for serious Home Cooking this time of year.  They blast hip hop music when the opposing offense is in the huddle and until the ball snaps. Refs go blind to it..... 2 years ago they robbed Flanagan with a phantom Offensive Pass Interference call in overtime that would have been the TD victory.  Flanagan stuffed Brandon Powell all night that night as well.  I got Flanagan in a tight one by 4 here.

Agree with Coral Gables by 4.  If Columbus finds a way to win... it is likely with coaching.

i saw apopka first hand this season, i think they are a more proven team then west orange, manatee vs Dr Phillips should be a good game, and i notice that second round in all brackets seem to include a lot of rematches, even some that arent even district games, like columbia vs lincoln for example

Here is the problem as I see it. Apopka has about as many passing yards in the regular season and one playoff game as they did in the Spring and Kick Off Classic game. This tells me that RD has no confidence in the QB passing skills of the kid taking most of the snaps. While RD does not like to throw, I have never seen one of his teams so devoid of a passing game.  In the second half against WO Apopka's run game was totally shut down (about 20 yards). I am sure Apopka will add wrinkles but can't see them scoring more than 3 touchdowns just running the ball. WO should score at least the 28 they scored against Apopka the first time. They have a very dynamic offense. Not has high scoring as Lake Brantley's but very good nonetheless. For Apopka to keep WO under 10 points it will have to score at least 20 on the ground and hold WO to just four scores. This is a difficult, but not impossible task.

Lake Brantley at Mandarin - Lake Brantley by 14. Lake Brantley has a state title caliber offense. Unfortunately, with the exception of the Bishop Moore game, their defense has not looked stellar. I expect this game                                              to be a high scoring one in the region of 100 points total with LB getting the better of it.

Apopka at West Orange   -  WO by 10. Darlington has not lost to the same team twice in a season since 2000. However, while I think he keeps it close, I don't think this APK team can beat this WO team.

Manatee at Dr. Phillips     -  Dr. Phillips by 3. Dr. Phillips had a bad game against Steinbrenner. Manatee confirmed my impressions against Oak Ridge. I pick DP. solely because of home field advantage.

Vero Beach at Osceola    -  Vero Beach by 1. I see this as an even game and a very difficult one to pick. I was tempted to go with Osceola at home. However, I believe VB is the more complete team and that it                                                   finds a way to win.

Boca Raton at Atlantic     -   Atlantic by 24. This is a rematch of a game Atlantic won handily. I see them winning bigger this time.

Flanagan at Deerfield B   -  Flanagan by 24. The better team with the better defense wins comfortably, injuries and all.

Columbus at Coral Gab   -  Coral Gables win by 4. I think Gables is the better team and though Columbus has a great staff, like Apopka, I don't think they have enough this year.

Southridge at South D     -  South Dade by 7. Another rematch with the same outcome. The winner the first time wins again. This one will be closer as I think Southridge has improved since the first meeting.

Thoughts and/or comments

Semi Finals

North:

Lake Brantley vs Dr. Phillips - I reserve my pick till the week of the game.

South:

Flanagan vs Coral Gables - I am going to take Flanagan, injuries and all

Wrong on Lake Brantley, Coral Gables and Osceola. Right on the others. Regarding Lake Brantley, they lost the starting QB due to injury and half the team caught the flu. So there is a little excuse there. This is the only time their offense has been shut down this year and that was a big part of it. I had expected Osceola/VB to be a tight game and it was. I just picked the wrong team. Should have know better and taken Osceola at home. On Coral Gables/Columbus, I was just flat out wrong. Columbus avenged its loss in fine style. Given the LB and Gables losses, my new semifinals are as follows:

North:

West Orange vs Dr. Phillips - WO exposes Mandarin for the lucky team they have been on the way to the regional final. In this game, I am going with DP to avenge its early loss to WO. Playoff experience makes the difference

South:

Flanagan vs Columbus - I am going to stick with Flanagan despite Columbus's impressive win against Coral Gables

Final:

Dr. Phillips vs Columbus - I will reserve a pick on this game till semi final week

Agree with Mandarin.  

We were both wrong with: Mandarin, Vero Beach and Coral Gables. I was closer on Flanagan, Apopka and Dr. Phillips, which is a very talented team, but one that is not consistent. 

In the next round I got:

West Orange over Mandarin which gets exposed. WO by 17

Dr. Phillips over Osceola by 7, the more balanced team wins a very competitive game if it has its head on right

Flanagan over Atlantic by 21. Atlantic has not had a very hard schedule and gets exposed like Mandarin

Columbus over South Dade by 14, better coached and more battle tested team wins.

Pretty impressive with your picks DarterBlue2.

Barring no suspensions or significant injuries will be:

West Orange over Mandarin by 7 .  Lake Brantley (Like West Orange)  was a pretty explosive Offensive football team and were absolutely shut down.  The seasoned West Orange team takes this one but not in blowout fashion.

Agree with Dr. Phillips over Osceola by 7 and you said it right - if it has its head on right.  

Flanagan over Delray Atlantic by 7 .   I don't see blowout here as I believe Delray Atlantic has the athletes to match Flanagan. In the end Flanagan's Defense will come up with a big play and prevail.  

Columbus over South Dade by 14.  I agree Columbus on this one and as you said - more battle tested  and better coached.  One would think South Dade's Defense would keep them in this one but , if they are smart they better not do what Coral Gables did .   I thought Columbus could win that one but a 35-0 beat down on a very good Gables Defense is scary.   

8A Final Four:

Osceola vs West Orange - This is a rematch of the kickoff classic. In that game the teams were tied 21 a piece when the JV teams came in. West Orange is the more complete team, but Osceola keeps proving me wrong. Osceola has made state before while this is by far West Orange's deepest run. I am torn here. I am going to go out on a limb and pick West Orange by 10. But I would not be surprised if Osceola yet again proves me wrong.

Columbus vs Flanagan - This is a rematch of last year's south semi-final. Athlete for athlete, I feel Flanagan is the better team. But Columbus is not far behind, seems to be playing its best football now, and I think has superior all around coaching. My heart says Flanagan, but my rational brain says Columbus finds a way to win yet again. I am going to go with Columbus by 3.