Bolles vs Columbia

Jags904

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

In other words, the private schools have figured out how to game the system.  B)

Specifically targeting a particular student-athlete (or group of student-athletes) to attend your school as a 9th grader is absolutely "recruiting" as the FHSAA currently defines it.   But because the kids at that age don't really have a "football reputation" (other than on the area youth football fields), it goes largely unnoticed.  Contrast that to the rising high school junior or senior who already has a couple of stars next to their name and impressive highlight film.   Then, everybody notices when that kid transfers (except, apparently, the media in Jacksonville).  

How so? I got no problem with the private school saying come here to an 8th grader who hasn't played a down of varsity before. Most likely that kid is going to play JV as a freshman anyway. 

12 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

How so? I got no problem with the private school saying come here to an 8th grader who hasn't played a down of varsity before. Most likely that kid is going to play JV as a freshman anyway. 

Hwy17, are we talking about how it is or how it should be

Under existing FHSAA rules, public and private schools play by the same rules.  At least they're supposed to.   And that means that neither public nor private schools are allowed to recruit athletes.  If a private school specifically targets a particular 8th grade athlete in an effort to convince that 8th grader to attend their school, that's recruiting and it's illegal. 

Should it be?   That's open for debate. 

50 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Under existing FHSAA rules, public and private schools play by the same rules.  At least they're supposed to.   And that means that neither public nor private schools are allowed to recruit athletes.  If a private school specifically targets a particular 8th grade athlete in an effort to convince that 8th grader to attend their school, that's recruiting and it's illegal. 

No more illegal than a public school doing that or a public school coach texting a parent and telling them they should bring their kid to their school

53 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Private schools by design have to have a way of attracting students or close up shop. Getting them to come there while still in middle school or just finishing 8th grade is just part of how a private school has to function.  Big difference than going after an athlete already attending another high school.

17 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Private schools by design have to have a way of attracting students or close up shop. Getting them to come there while still in middle school or just finishing 8th grade is just part of how a private school has to function.  Big difference than going after an athlete already attending another high school.

Yes, but in theory, private schools are supposed to market their services to any and all qualified students, not solely to the over-developed 8th grader who's tearing up the local youth football league. 

Hey, I'm not arguing with how things ought to be.   I'm just telling you that if private schools are calling Joe Stud's parents while Joe is finishing up middle school and encouraging them to send in an application for Joe to attend their private school, that's a violation of FHSAA rules.  I know it happens.  I understand why it happens.   But each one of those kids who ends up at a private school is one less kid available to play for the public school team in that family's school district (or, with the current free-choice rules, any other public school in the district that has capacity). 

I think that the recognition of the private school business model is why some/many folks argue that the private schools should be treated differently (i.e., private schools should be able to actively and openly recruit kids . . . at least 8th graders).  If a private school doesn't maintain its numbers, it goes out of business.   A public school just lays off a few teachers and drops down a classification or two. 

37 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

No more illegal than a public school doing that or a public school coach texting a parent and telling them they should bring their kid to their school

Exactly.   But everyone seems to know that it's wrong for a public school to do this (yes, even the school previously named after a Confederate General), but there are many people out there who are somewhat knowledgeable about high school sports who think that it's OK for a private school to do that -- and by "OK," they think the FHSAA rules allow for it.  They don't. 

22 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Exactly.   But everyone seems to know that it's wrong for a public school to do this (yes, even the school previously named after a Confederate General), but there are many people out there who are somewhat knowledgeable about high school sports who think that it's OK for a private school to do that -- and by "OK," they think the FHSAA rules allow for it.  They don't. 

Many of these "somewhat" knowledgeable people also seem to think that privates need to be in their own classification because of getting transfers but ignore publics who get more transfers than the privates

They also continue to spread the lies even when facts presented show they are wrong 

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Many of these "somewhat" knowledgeable people also seem to think that privates need to be in their own classification because of getting transfers but ignore publics who get more transfers than the privates

They also continue to spread the lies even when facts presented show they are wrong 

Could you provide a list of the transfers that the school in Jacksonville has on their 2021 roster that came from other schools during the 2020 season. Or direct me to a previous post where you listed them? Could you do the same for Columbia? I ask because as the person making the accusation that Lee/Riverside is getting transfers from Ed White/First Coast/Trinity, you have to back up the information. If you are correct, great. But unless you can prove it with actual names and former schools, just sounds like accusations right now. 

9 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Could you provide a list of the transfers that the school in Jacksonville has on their 2021 roster that came from other schools during the 2020 season. Or direct me to a previous post where you listed them? Could you do the same for Columbia? I ask because as the person making the accusation that Lee/Riverside is getting transfers from Ed White/First Coast/Trinity, you have to back up the information. If you are correct, great. But unless you can prove it with actual names and former schools, just sounds like accusations right now. 

I posted several of them in the transfer trend 

I'm only aware of one transfer Columbia got (Suwannee DT) and he's a rotational starter

Lee has gotten transfers from St Johns, Clay and Duval county this off-season alone and I posted every transfer I came across in the transfer thread 

13 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

because unlike those liars over that at Lee I can back up my accusations with evidence

I don't claim a team intentionally tried to injure players than when asked to prove it claim "I know what I know I don't have to prove it"