Lakeland at lake wales

Terryr

1 hour ago, Terryr said:

What's everyone's thoughts on this game? 

Half the battle is getting Lakeland off its home turf. They have a big home field advantage. Their competition has been a step above the Highlanders schedule. Both teams have buried the competition. I don’t know the rosters of either team, to make a thorough analysis. At first blush you would say Lakeland will b at least a -14 fav. But then again STA was a -24 fav over Jesuit........

2 hours ago, Jullian said:

Half the battle is getting Lakeland off its home turf. They have a big home field advantage. Their competition has been a step above the Highlanders schedule. Both teams have buried the competition. I don’t know the rosters of either team, to make a thorough analysis. At first blush you would say Lakeland will b at least a -14 fav. But then again STA was a -24 fav over Jesuit........

You are certainly right about home field advantage as they often have 6 home games to 4 away, similar to what I understand Venice does also; only two away games for Venice this year.  I think it's an advantage for most high school teams particularly if the drive is two hours or more.

If Lakeland is really a contender in 7A, they'll need to win fairly comfortably. The way that would happen is through controlling the line of scrimmage, which they should be able to do. But, lots of penalties and/or fumbles could negate all of that. I think we'll have a dogfight and I'm not sure the young Dreadnaughts are ready to dominate a good team on the road. I'll take Lakeland 20-6.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, skyway said:

If Lakeland is really a contender in 7A, they'll need to win fairly comfortably. The way that would happen is through controlling the line of scrimmage, which they should be able to do. But, lots of penalties and/or fumbles could negate all of that. I think we'll have a dogfight and I'm not sure the young Dreadnaughts are ready to dominate a good team on the road. I'll take Lakeland 20-6.

Of all the games on Lakeland's schedule, Lake Wales bothers me the most.  Even more so than LG.  Granted, the Highlanders being 2-0 is hardly an indicator for the entire season.  Albeit rare, history has not gone in Lakeland's favor when traveling east within the county and playing Ridge teams with a decent record.

2001 - District loss to Haines City (7-3) 2-0, ended 60-game winning streak
2012 - District loss to district winner Ridge (9-3) 7-0 

This Friday marks 20 years since Lakeland lost the streak against Hornets.  Although they're not playing HC, schools along US 27 amongst the oranges groves were not only notorious for throwing oranges at busses and fans, but shocking the hell out of Lakeland when the Naughts least expected it.  Nothing is more dangerous than a team with nothing to lose and everything to gain.  This is statement game for both teams and it will come down to who executes, limits mistakes and who wants it more.  This game will also begin to paint a clearer picture of the top teams in the county on the field, not on paper.  

Other county losses:

2013 - District loss to district winner Kathleen (9-3)
2015 - District loss to Bartow (5-5) 26-25
2016 - District loss to Kathleen (5-4) 14-7

Form what I was told by those at the Webber University camp, Lake Wales was every bit the equal to Jesuit.  I know, that was camp and this is the season, Lake Wales hasn't been challenged, etc. I will give Lakeland a nod but I really expect a close one that can go either way and a LW win won't hit me as a shocker.

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

Form what I was told by those at the Webber University camp, Lake Wales was every bit the equal to Jesuit.  I know, that was camp and this is the season, Lake Wales hasn't been challenged, etc. I will give Lakeland a nod but I really expect a close one that can go either way and a LW win won't hit me as a shocker.

LWales slapped Jesuit in the mouth at that camp, and we aren't talking about shorts and tanks. The Highlanders were expected to be rebuilding this year. They are very young(2 freshman start in key positions), but is week will tell alot about them and Lakeland as well.

The Naughts are favored, and they should be.

21 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Of all the games on Lakeland's schedule, Lake Wales bothers me the most.  Even more so than LG.  Granted, the Highlanders being 2-0 is hardly an indicator for the entire season.  Albeit rare, history has not gone in Lakeland's favor when traveling east within the county and playing Ridge teams with a decent record.

2001 - District loss to Haines City (7-3) 2-0, ended 60-game winning streak
2012 - District loss to district winner Ridge (9-3) 7-0 

This Friday marks 20 years since Lakeland lost the streak against Hornets.  Although they're not playing HC, schools along US 27 amongst the oranges groves were not only notorious for throwing oranges at busses and fans, but shocking the hell out of Lakeland when the Naughts least expected it.  Nothing is more dangerous than a team with nothing to lose and everything to gain.  This is statement game for both teams and it will come down to who executes, limits mistakes and who wants it more.  This game will also begin to paint a clearer picture of the top teams in the county on the field, not on paper.  

Other county losses:

2013 - District loss to district winner Kathleen (9-3)
2015 - District loss to Bartow (5-5) 26-25
2016 - District loss to Kathleen (5-4) 14-7

I was also there when LW beat Lakeland 26-14 in 1995 at LW. Rough night, Highlanders were too quick for that Lakeland team and Jeff Chaney had a big night!

11 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Gold star for the day, LOL.  Lakeland prevails 41-14.  I heard some naughty things occurred but I'll reserve comment until I actually watch the game, lol.

You're going to need something better than the NFHS Network version. I watched it there and the camera was blurry and zoomed out a mile. Right before the lightning delay, with Lakeland at the LW one yard line, there was a fight deep in the endzone. No clue who was involved, but may have been OL Maldanado. He was apparently benched last week and was pissed, so perhaps he took out some frustration. I wonder if the ejections will produce suspensions for next week at LG too.

22 minutes ago, skyway said:

You're going to need something better than the NFHS Network version. I watched it there and the camera was blurry and zoomed out a mile. Right before the lightning delay, with Lakeland at the LW one yard line, there was a fight deep in the endzone. No clue who was involved, but may have been OL Maldanado. He was apparently benched last week and was pissed, so perhaps he took out some frustration. I wonder if the ejections will produce suspensions for next week at LG too.

Thanks for the heads up!  That way I won't get pissed when I can't see anything, LOL!