Tampa Jesuit

Hwy17

No. Hallandale might have as good or better shot - @ AHP. 

I don't know, I'm no so quick to just hand AHP the title yet.  Bishop Moore gave AHP all they could handle last year and they are 10-1 with their only loss to Lake Brantley.  I think Jesuit has been the best in region 3 all year. 

Hallandale did it!

Yes.  I was surprised they pulled it off @ AHP .  I have a feeling that in the last game Hallandale played @ AHP they got down early, and said mercy to a degree... may have limited their Offense- not wanting to show AHP everything in there arsenal (knowing they would be facing them in 4 weeks) .  They have been a very dynamic Offense all year and AHP may have been a little over confident in this one thinking they have Hallandale's number.

Now Halladale will take on Bishop Moore.  Two great teams - particularly with high powered offenses.  I will lean Hallandale here just due to their schedule strength alone.  I expect a high scoring close game.

Yes.  I was surprised they pulled it off @ AHP .  I have a feeling that in the last game Hallandale played @ AHP they got down early, and said mercy to a degree... may have limited their Offense- not wanting to show AHP everything in there arsenal (knowing they would be facing them in 4 weeks) .  They have been a very dynamic Offense all year and AHP may have been a little over confident in this one thinking they have Hallandale's number.

Now Halladale will take on Bishop Moore.  Two great teams - particularly with high powered offenses.  I will lean Hallandale here just due to their schedule strength alone.  I expect a high scoring close game.

Hallandale has more overall talent than Bishop Moore. However, BM has this game at home which is a bit of an advantage. It is a relatively small stadium (actually not bad in size for a small school) where the stands are right on top of the field. They get very good fan support (there will be five generations of alumni at the game) who justifiably feel that they were just 3 points away from a state title last year. They are very big up front and several of their linemen have D1 offers. That said, I agree that man for man Hallandale does have more talent. If Hallandale can keep the BM quarterback off balance and if their defense can shut down the BM running game the way Lake Brantley did in the second half of their game, they will win fairly comfortably. However, if we go into the half tied or close to it, BM may win the battle of attrition and take the win at home. As an aside Ray Lewis's son goes both ways for Bishop Moore. He is a bit undersized but is a very skillful ball player.

Not that it means much, but in two quarters of Spring ball, BM and Dr. Phillips were tied at 14 apiece. In a good game, I will take Hallandale by 2 points but would not be surprised if BM pulled the upset. 

Bishop Moore beat Hallandale; Jesuit steamrolled Dunbar.    These two split regular season games the last two years.  I'm going with Jesuit in a close game.

I have not seen Jesuit either live or on film. But BM is the real deal. If Jesuit is to win they need to score at least 40 as I don't see any team holding BM to under that the way their offense is clicking. They ran the ball at will against a very good Hallandale team and must have racked up over 500 yards of offense in the game. In any event, I expect the winner of the Jesuit/Bishop Moore game to win the state title comfortably. 

I forgot about last year's playoff game.  Bishop Moore beat an 8-5 Jesuit team twice last year, 25-17 regular season and 30-29 in OT in the playoffs.  Jesuit won the 2013 game 14-10.  So these two know each other with recent history showing it to be a close game.  What impresses me about Jesuit has been their defense, and what peezy28 said, a really good running game.

I forgot about last year's playoff game.  Bishop Moore beat an 8-5 Jesuit team twice last year, 25-17 regular season and 30-29 in OT in the playoffs.  Jesuit won the 2013 game 14-10.  So these two know each other with recent history showing it to be a close game.  What impresses me about Jesuit has been their defense, and what peezy28 said, a really good running game.

Then both teams have very good running games. BM racked up about 500 rushing last night against a team with a very athletic defense. Bishop Moore's defense is very good, but not great. Good teams will score on them. To me, their defensive strength is in its front four who are quick off the line and are able to get into the backfield and harass the quarterback and  get to opposing running backs before they get into top gear. A good passing team with a mobile quarterback can exploit the secondary, which is good but is  also susceptible to the deep ball.

My take on Bishop Moore given how they are currently playing is that they are capable of scoring 40 against all but the most elite defensive teams in the state. So this game has the makings of a very good one with the winner being the early favorite to take the State title.  

I agree, it is good to see a new champion in 5A this year. Kind of surprised Hallandale lost, no disrespect to Bishop Moore, but thought AHP would pull that one out. 

The South Florida teams sometimes struggle vs .  the Wing T attack.   AHP may have effectively contained the Wing T better than Hallandale, but there is no doubt that it has baffled a few South Florida teams effectively. 

The South Florida teams sometimes struggle vs .  the Wing T attack.   AHP may have effectively contained the Wing T better than Hallandale, but there is no doubt that it has baffled a few South Florida teams effectively. 

That it does, I think it's just the discipline you have to play with against a good Wing T attack is something that not all teams in SFLA are really used to. Some are good at it, but others aren't. 

With Bishop Moore, it's more than that. They line up in the Wing T, but are not a true Wing T team. They throw it around way too much for that. For an upper class Catholic team, this year's team is way more athletic than you would think. Certainly more so than the typical, say Bolles team. And, although primarily run first, they have a quarterback who while he does not have a cannon for an arm can throw the ball downfield with accuracy, as well as scramble for extra yards. In fact the more I think about it, the more they resemble, to me, a middle of the road (not great Aquinas team).

Before the game, I had a nice talk with the father of Hallandale's center. I did so both to pick his brain a bit about what to expect from them, as well as share a little information as to what may be helpful for his son in the recruiting process. His take was that Hallandale would just out athlete Bishop Moore if it came to that. I tried to make him understand that while if this were a track and field event, I agree that Hallandale would win more medals, this was a football game and Bishop Moore actually had a team that was South Florida comparable. He smiled, asked about the defensive backfield and when I responded said they would be just too slow and his receivers would eat them up.

At the half, I picked up the conversation not to say I told you so, but just to see what his perception of the game was now (BM led 28-20 at the half). He acknowledged BM was better than he though and basically said stopping their drive to open the second half was critical. They did not, and Hallandale had to come back from a three touchdown hole in the fourth. To its credit it nearly did. But the clock ran out on them. 

The truth is that Bishop Moore has a special senior class; yes, like most of the top privates in Florida, it is partially recruited. Three or four of their mainstays came to the school after the ninth grade. But at the end of the day, private schools have that luxury. Combine three or four key players with a strong group of linemen, the sons/relatives of a few former high profile football players, and very good coaching, and you have Bishop Moore's 2015 team. Last year it came within a field goal of taking American Heritage Plantation to extra time at their house. This year it beat a very good Hallandale team led by a great high school quarterback in its own house. While I am not a fan of BM, I wish them the best in their quest for their first state title since 1970.

They have a great chance if they don't let Friday's win go to their heads.

With Bishop Moore, it's more than that. They line up in the Wing T, but are not a true Wing T team. They throw it around way too much for that. For an upper class Catholic team, this year's team is way more athletic than you would think. Certainly more so than the typical, say Bolles team. And, although primarily run first, they have a quarterback who while he does not have a cannon for an arm can throw the ball downfield with accuracy, as well as scramble for extra yards. In fact the more I think about it, the more they resemble, to me, a middle of the road (not great Aquinas team).

Before the game, I had a nice talk with the father of Hallandale's center. I did so both to pick his brain a bit about what to expect from them, as well as share a little information as to what may be helpful for his son in the recruiting process. His take was that Hallandale would just out athlete Bishop Moore if it came to that. I tried to make him understand that while if this were a track and field event, I agree that Hallandale would win more medals, this was a football game and Bishop Moore actually had a team that was South Florida comparable. He smiled, asked about the defensive backfield and when I responded said they would be just too slow and his receivers would eat them up.

At the half, I picked up the conversation not to say I told you so, but just to see what his perception of the game was now (BM led 28-20 at the half). He acknowledged BM was better than he though and basically said stopping their drive to open the second half was critical. They did not, and Hallandale had to come back from a three touchdown hole in the fourth. To its credit it nearly did. But the clock ran out on them. 

The truth is that Bishop Moore has a special senior class; yes, like most of the top privates in Florida, it is partially recruited. Three or four of their mainstays came to the school after the ninth grade. But at the end of the day, private schools have that luxury. Combine three or four key players with a strong group of linemen, the sons/relatives of a few former high profile football players, and very good coaching, and you have Bishop Moore's 2015 team. Last year it came within a field goal of taking American Heritage Plantation to extra time at their house. This year it beat a very good Hallandale team led by a great high school quarterback in its own house. While I am not a fan of BM, I wish them the best in their quest for their first state title since 1970.

They have a great chance if they don't let Friday's win go to their heads.

good insight there

FYI, Darter last night I texted and said Jesuit was getting hosed with calls... Let me clarify that it was actually Bishop Moore getting hosed but were still able to pull it off.

It was a great game and great atmosphere.

EC, I actually did not take the text that way. I though you meant that Jesuit was unlucky on several plays, not that they were being cheated by the officials. It seems both teams gave it their all and I deeply regret not being able to make the game, particularly in light of Osceola blowing out West Orange, which could only be enjoyed if you were an Osceola fan, but not if you just wanted to see a good game of football. 

I believe and also hope that Bishop Moore wins the state title. This is a special team for a school like them that comes around only once in every 20 or so years. I may be wrong on this as recently it seems they are willing to put more resources into football.