IMG????

DisabledAccount

Yes, they operate like a D3 college, but if they played the top 10 teams in FL- I think 3 or 4 could catch them.   You don't even need to leave the state to give them competition.   They played/hosted  American Heritage Plantation in  a KickOff Classic on 8/22/2015 - both teams appeared to be taking it seriously and it was a close game (19-7 AHP beat them) .  But what surprised me is AHP was the more aggressive and more physical team.  IMG played a down Miramar team the following week who did not even make the playoffs this year and hammered a Cocoa team a few weeks later that many feel is down a bit.  Supposedly Flanagan offered to play them up in Bradenton but IMG declined. I would have no problem saying a 100% healthy St. Thomas Aquinas team could compete with them.

Yes, they operate like a D3 college, but if they played the top 10 teams in FL- I think 3 or 4 could catch them.   You don't even need to leave the state to give them competition.   They played/hosted  American Heritage Plantation in  a KickOff Classic on 8/22/2015 - both teams appeared to be taking it seriously and it was a close game (19-7 AHP beat them) .  But what surprised me is AHP was the more aggressive and more physical team.  IMG played a down Miramar team the following week who did not even make the playoffs this year and hammered a Cocoa team a few weeks later that many feel is down a bit.  Supposedly Flanagan offered to play them up in Bradenton but IMG declined. I would have no problem saying a 100% healthy St. Thomas Aquinas team could compete with them.

a 100% healthy STA would beat IMG and i would be willing to put that into writing, feel free to quote me on that, lol

a 100% healthy STA would beat IMG and i would be willing to put that into writing, feel free to quote me on that, lol

I said a 100% healthy St. Thomas Aquinas could compete with IMG .  The best team that IMG played this year - AHP - they lost to them. There are several teams in FL that can compete with AHP (in fact there are teams in South Florida alone that can compete with AHP).  Outside of that, IMG's  two best wins on a National scale are Bergen Catholic, NJ  (W 59-47) and St. Joseph Regional , NJ (W 25-12).  There are a few teams in FL that are as good or better than those teams. I am not saying those teams are better than IMG but when you play teams that are capable of coming say 7-14 points of you, eventually things happen at the HS level.  

But I hear your point when you say they should not be allowed to compete based on the way that they operate.   They are not eligible for any post-season play, that is all the FHSAA can do....   The National rankings is the discretion of the individuals operating the poll. Some polls do not even include IMG in the rankings.

I don't consider them a high school team.  I think most Florida schools have actually boycotted playing them because of how they operate.  There are 6 NAIA college teams in Florida, let IMG play their JV teams, seeing how their season is meaningless because they can't compete for a title. 

Aside from that, I think IMG may actually be the 3rd best in Manatee county. 

I don't consider them a high school team. I think most Florida schools have actually boycotted playing them because of how they operate. There are 6 NAIA college teams in Florida, let IMG play their JV teams, seeing how their season is meaningless because they can't compete for a title.

Aside from that, I think IMG may actually be the 3rd best in Manatee county.

Behind who?

Behind who?

Zoe, his comment makes no sense. The second best team in Manatee County is Braden River. And, I don't think they could beat IMG (they may have an outside shot). As for Manatee, they would get destroyed. Just look what Dr. Phillips or Hoover did to them. No way they compete with IMG like them or not.

Said it, meant it!  Braden River or Manatee playing IMG in their own back yard would win.

I sincerely believe you mean what you said, and I just as sincerely believe you are mistaken. It is one thing to wish and hope based on the way the world should be. IT is quite another to confront reality for what it is. Most humans have a great degree of difficulty accomplishing the latter.

I sincerely believe you mean what you said, and I just as sincerely believe you are mistaken. It is one thing to wish and hope based on the way the world should be. IT is quite another to confront reality for what it is. Most humans have a great degree of difficulty accomplishing the latter.

Actually, I feel that the discourse as of late has fallen to the point where too much emphasis is placed on national rankings and what some computer says (i.e. maxpreps).  While I view it as a good resource and fair way to measure. one must account for how those rankings can and do become flawed.  For one, teams are rewarded too much for "style points", without actually taking into account how some teams actually match up with the next.  Secondly, too much emphasis is given to past performance rather that taking into account how a team is actually performing.  Exampe, the powerhouse team that has a down year still gets ranked ahead of the team that is having their first championship run ever. I've been following high school football in Florida since I was a kid.  I lost all respect for "national rankings" when little ol' Bartow high beat the supposed #1 team in the country, Bolles, in the 96 state title game.

IMG won games over so called "national powers"  DeSoto Texas and Paramus Catholic who are 6-6 and 3-6 respectively?  Come on! I'm sorry but I can't respect that they are that great.

Manatee, while somewhat down this year due to graduation, still has some serious size, speed and talent.  Trying to keep a young team like that focused when going on the road is difficult.  But a matchup where they would be a home team; even in IMG's stadium.  I'd have to go with the Hurricanes. 

Braden River:  I've really enjoyed following them this season.  In my opinion they are building a powerhouse program the right way.  They actually remind me of where Manatee and Southeast were in the 80's and 90's.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that Braden River will win the 7a title!

Lmao this guy has to be joking!! Only one team beat them this year and that was AHP at IMG field.... Ain't no way those two teams you mention can beat them....

5 days ago everyone on here wanted to hand AHP the 5a title!   

A little note about AHP  - this is a program that never could get past the 1st round of the playoffs until somehow magically they start getting all the star players that didn't go the STA.   AHP wins because they overwhelm their opponents with size and speed, same as IMG, until they run into a team who can match them and has the coaching to boot.  

2013 was AHP's best team of the last three years.  Hell my school held them to 10 points in the first half with a bunch of average players until we gave out because of no depth. We had 3 10th graders at defensive back and totally shut down their passing game.  Our line wore out and then we couldn't stop Sony Michele.   So if we could do that with undersized average at best players, they would have got their butts handed to them by a team with equal size and speed.  And we saw that the next season when they played STA.  

So, like you said, AHP won at IMG.    It would practically be a home game for Manatee or Braden River to play there and yes, both can and probably would beat them.  

5 days ago everyone on here wanted to hand AHP the 5a title!

A little note about AHP - this is a program that never could get past the 1st round of the playoffs until somehow magically they start getting all the star players that didn't go the STA. AHP wins because they overwhelm their opponents with size and speed, same as IMG, until they run into a team who can match them and has the coaching to boot.

2013 was AHP's best team of the last three years. Hell my school held them to 10 points in the first half with a bunch of average players until we gave out because of no depth. We had 3 10th graders at defensive back and totally shut down their passing game. Our line wore out and then we couldn't stop Sony Michele. So if we could do that with undersized average at best players, they would have got their butts handed to them by a team with equal size and speed. And we saw that the next season when they played STA.

So, like you said, AHP won at IMG. It would practically be a home game for Manatee or Braden River to play there and yes, both can and probably would beat them.

Well I guess you guys up north really don't know about teams down here... The only thing AHP have over the public schools down here is a coaching staff... I remember the Sony Micheal teams... They were talented but for some reason Miami Jackson use to always knock them out the playoffs until he's st yr... Miami Jackson had the speed like them but lack of size but still were able to knock them out the playoffs.. Plus I was not one of them that was ready to hand them the 5a title.... But they did beat IMG... Idk about Branden River but I do know Manatee ain't the same Manatee and I know those two teams ain't better then IMG and I don't consider them a highschool either...

Well I guess you guys up north really don't know about teams down here... The only thing AHP have over the public schools down here is a coaching staff... I remember the Sony Micheal teams... They were talented but for some reason Miami Jackson use to always knock them out the playoffs until he's st yr... Miami Jackson had the speed like them but lack of size but still were able to knock them out the playoffs.. Plus I was not one of them that was ready to hand them the 5a title.... But they did beat IMG... Idk about Branden River but I do know Manatee ain't the same Manatee and I know those two teams ain't better then IMG and I don't consider them a highschool either...

would columbia be able to hold their own with AHP?

would columbia be able to hold their own with AHP?

Probably. Mainland, Bishop Moore, and Apopka held their own with AHP last year. AHP won two of the three, but all of these games were very close and came down to a couple of plays (both good plays and errors, I might add). AHP is a quality team, but it is not unbeatable. The problem I have with HWY, is that he thinks Manatee would beat IMG. That would not happen; not this year. And it does not matter where the game was played. Braden River could possibly beat IMG. I give them a solid chance against St. Thomas and I would give St. Thomas a shot at IMG even though I don't think this St. Thomas team is on par with recent ones. 

So overall it sounds like most of us agree that there might be 5-10 teams around the state that on a good day might be able to catch IMG if they caught a few breaks or shall I say met IMG on neutral field 10 times could possibly catch them 1-3 Times?
Like I said earlier, if a team is normally 7-14 pts better than their opponent it only takes a couple of mistakes at the HS level and they can get upset. Look at Hallandale vs. AHP for example.

if we played at our absolute best and get a few breaks we could beat IMG, but i dont see us scheduling them, we tend to go after historically rich programs in north florida, not new private schools from south florida

I don't think we have new private schools running things down here...?

So overall it sounds likeost of us agree that there might be 5-10 teams around the state that on a good day might be able to catch IMG if they caught a few breaks or shall I say met IMG on neutral field 10 times could possibly catch them 1-3 Times?

Like I said earlier, if a team is normally 7-14 pts better than their opponent it only takes a couple of mistakes at the HS level and they can get upset. Look at Hallandale vs. AHP for example.

I would say 10-15 teams in the state would fall in that category. But Manatee is not one of them. No way, no how! Dr. Phillips was up 40-7 with six minutes to go. Dp. is a good team, but a quality Manatee would not get beat up by them that badly. I refer back to the Hoover beat down and the loss to Lincoln as further proof. 

So Darter, who did IMG play and beat that was so damn impressive? Mirimar was 5-5, Desoto Tx was 6-6, Bergen Catholic was 7-4. Yeah they got name recognition but if those teams are that great why aren't don't they have more wins. IMG beat Cocoa, but Cocoa is a 4a small school. You can't convince me that Palmetto, Venice, or Charlotte wouldn't have beat those same teams, nor would I not be surprised if those 3 wouldn't give IMG all they could handle. IMG only played one true powerhouse, that was AHP, and they lost. I stand by my statement: Manatee and Braden River would both win over IMG.