The Florida High School Football Transfer Disaster, How to Fix it

The Heartland Archives

On 9/20/2021 at 3:52 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

While there is a real problem, I am not sure Brian Smith's solution would not be circumvented by the more astute programs. 

When the state opened up the ease of transferring with or without reason, it became very difficult for the FHSAA which, at that juncture, essentially abandoned any attempt to monitor and penalize recruiting. 

Unfortunately, what I considered to be one of the last purely unspoiled football venues is tarnished due to the unregulated poaching of players across district/county and in some cases state lines.  The FHSSA has in all intent and purposes de-regulated the sport to the point of allowing athletes and parents too many choices that are contrary to the values of commitment, integrity, and loyalty - which I would like to think once existed in the sport.  Akin to the NCAA transfer portal, we have marginalized/devalued what a commitment means and made it acceptable for athletes to bounce around from school to school for the purpose of finding a starting position and/or finding a team that can better bolster recruiting options through reputation or championship potential.  This shallow mindset under minds the importance of education as compared to playing a sport, and sets up these kids for a future where they feel entitled to hit the "Easy Button" when things don't go their way ie. disagreement with a coach, lack of adequate play time, or fill in the blank.  One of the worst decisions ever made in high school sports!   

10 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

I don't own a white hat, and I am not married. Clearly, you are not talking about me. That would be a heck of a drive to Ft. Lauderdale from where I live to be home by 9:00 pm. Clarence Darrow and F. Lee Bailey would be disappointed in you Perspective. 

Jambun, why did you think the hypothetical was about you?   Yeah, there's an old expression that if the shoe fits, wear it.  But the hypothetical was simply intended to point out yet another unintended (presumably) consequence of the legislators' actions.   Pointing out the things that might happen (and things which are happening) as a result of legislative changes is a classic way of pointing out the flaws of potential or existing legislation.  So, if either were still alive, I think Darrow and Bailey would be just fine with what I wrote.  ;)

You opted to put your opinion out there for the world to see.   I respect that and I respect your opinion.  I just happen to disagree with it. 

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Jambun, why did you think the hypothetical was about you?   Yeah, there's an old expression that if the shoe fits, wear it.  But the hypothetical was simply intended to point out yet another unintended (presumably) consequence of the legislators' actions.   Pointing out the things that might happen (and things which are happening) as a result of legislative changes is a classic way of pointing out the flaws of potential or existing legislation.  So, if either were still alive, I think Darrow and Bailey would be just fine with what I wrote.  ;)

You opted to put your opinion out there for the world to see.   I respect that and I respect your opinion.  I just happen to disagree with it. 

Surprised he hasn't offered you an autograph, but then again he may have done that sometime in the past.

13 hours ago, Perspective said:

I would rather hold public servants accountable. The "flaw" is that teachers and coaches should be mandating anything. They get a taxpayer-paycheck, and that should be enough. Limiting choice is also a huge "flaw" in my view. There are ways to mitigate running clocks, and make games more competitive without taking away or limiting choices. Clarence Darrow and F. Lee Bailey would be glad to know that you are listening, reading, and learning from me! 

On 9/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, badbird said:

Not much you can do to stop it.  

4 examples of things that have happened in my county over the last 3 years. 

1.  I went to an address the kid used to get into school and an old woman lived their and did not know the kid.  The kid had already played in multiple football games.  The county gave the kid an out of zone waiver.  No fine or forfeit for the team.

2.  4 kids used the same address to move into a school.  The county let all 4 kids stay and gave them an out of zone waiver

3.  The school allowed a kid to enroll using an address zoned for a different school.  Nothing was done to the school and the kid was allowed to stay and given out of zone waiver

4.  Students enrolled in another school played for another team in a 7 on 7 event representing that school with their gear using a school bus to transport them to play.  Nothing happened to the coaches.

Ive seen coaches in that same county get fired for alot, LOT less than that.  my how times have changed there.....

Being from a program that gets killed by transfers a lot. Not bashing on any of the teams who are the recipient of the players who are zoned for my school. For it is not their fault. Knowing what players who are zoned for my school and seeing them play for other teams proves that when you are down, you will stay down. If we had those players we could compete. they are stars and starters for other programs. 

Players and parents suffer from the grass is greener syndrome. Why would a player with good talent want to play for a loosing program? The true issue is lack of knowledge. It is just assumed that playing for a great program will get you offers, no matter who you are. Being the big fish in the small pond, vs the small fish in a larger pond. We have absolutely no problems getting offers for the kids in our program. For the last 8 years that I have been there. every kid who wanted to go to the next level and had the grades to do it received an offer. Now it wasnt the big D1 offer that they thought they were entitled to! But it was a best fit offer for their talent and cost to the family / student. After all  isnt that what we as coaches are truly supposed to do when it comes to higher education?

We also get a few transfers in as well. Its bound to happen and always a pleasant surprise. The biggest issue for us is the backlash from home-bound education this last year and students becoming academically ineligible. Because we all know kids worked real hard when able to stay home from school and do all work online!

The only real way to stop the transfer thing is to cut it out entirely. You must play for the school you are zoned for period! But we all know that isnt going to happen. Until something is done there will be a huge disparity in the haves and the have nots,  the  programs receiving transfers will continue to get better and the programs who loose players  will continue in their ways. 

This isnt a knock on the programs who continue to loose transfers. Those coaches work real hard to retain players and continue to try to build their programs. Some will make it out of that stigma and finally become a higher ranked, more wins per season and able to compete with higher level programs. others will not and its not for the lack of coaching or effort. It is truly the rules and the cards you are dealt.

Recruiting happens all the time, I hear it in the halls, i see texts from players on other teams. I see communications from staffs of other programs. Some will play by the rules, some think they are above the rules. But until there is integrity among coaches it will continue to get worse. 

Just my .02 worth