Quantcast
Jump to content

AHHHHH DP!


Nolestrong
 Share

Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I have seen DP Video or live 6 times including the spring jamboree. To me, the team seems to be suffering from a lack of motivation. Also, the secondary is not the best they have had. A good QB and receiving core will score points on them. 

Athletically, overall, they are better than their record. 

Spot on!  They are strong against the run defensively but secondary though having athletes lack ball skills.  On the other side they have a decent run game, but again the skill players/receivers are very inconsistent with dropped balls, bad routes and only decent QB play.  We turned the ball over to them 4 times last night, 3 in the second half and our defense kept them from scoring every time but once.  It was on a muffed punt by our freshman rising star, Taevion Swint in the red zone and they were able to take advantage of the short field then.  If we had gotten the consistent play both halves by our offense like we did on defense, the score would have been 40-0 rather than 26-6.  However, DP has played one of the state's toughest schedule including Darters team, Cocoa, Lake Mary, West Orange, Jones, us, thus their record.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Spot on!  They are strong against the run defensively but secondary though having athletes lack ball skills.  On the other side they have a decent run game, but again the skill players/receivers are very inconsistent with dropped balls, bad routes and only decent QB play.  We turned the ball over to them 4 times last night, 3 in the second half and our defense kept them from scoring every time but once.  It was on a muffed punt by our freshman rising star, Taevion Swint in the red zone and they were able to take advantage of the short field then.  If we had gotten the consistent play both halves by our offense like we did on defense, the score would have been 40-0 rather than 26-6.  However, DP has played one of the state's toughest schedule including Darters team, Cocoa, Lake Mary, West Orange, Jones, us, thus their record.  

DP alot like Manatee who we played earlier and is a traditionally rich/proud strong program.  They have talent throughout their roster but not getting production out of that talent that they should.  Then you have them playing another extremely difficult schedule with the likes of Gulliver Prep, Lakeland, Palmetto, Osceola, Clearwater Academy Int. and then Venice.  Now you can see how they have gone 1-6 for the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

DP alot like Manatee who we played earlier and is a traditionally rich/proud strong program.  They have talent throughout their roster but not getting production out of that talent that they should.  Then you have them playing another extremely difficult schedule with the likes of Gulliver Prep, Lakeland, Palmetto, Osceola, Clearwater Academy Int. and then Venice.  Now you can see how they have gone 1-6 for the year.

At least Olympia and Windemere should be wins for Dp, giving then a 4-6 season. Not sure that will be good enough to sneak into the playoffs, but most programs have a down year every so often. It has been well over a dozen years since Dp. had a bad season like this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

At least Olympia and Windemere should be wins for Dp, giving then a 4-6 season. Not sure that will be good enough to sneak into the playoffs, but most programs have a down year every so often. It has been well over a dozen years since Dp. had a bad season like this. 

Olympia could give them a game with their passing attack as that has given DP trouble all year.  If they lose that, no chance for the playoffs.  If they win, based on their schedule they could sneak in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, Ray Icaza said:

Spot on!  They are strong against the run defensively but secondary though having athletes lack ball skills.  On the other side they have a decent run game, but again the skill players/receivers are very inconsistent with dropped balls, bad routes and only decent QB play.  We turned the ball over to them 4 times last night, 3 in the second half and our defense kept them from scoring every time but once.  It was on a muffed punt by our freshman rising star, Taevion Swint in the red zone and they were able to take advantage of the short field then.  If we had gotten the consistent play both halves by our offense like we did on defense, the score would have been 40-0 rather than 26-6.  However, DP has played one of the state's toughest schedule including Darters team, Cocoa, Lake Mary, West Orange, Jones, us, thus their record.  

That's definitely what I saw in their game against Cocoa. Alot of dropped balls. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I surprised at DP's performance this Fall? Back on August 23rd, after DP was whipped decisively by Lake Mary in Week "O", I posted the following comment on DP's prospects for this season:

"DP showed nothing in the Spring Jamboree against Apopka or Winter Park. Apopka's varsity played without new transfer QB Andrew McClain and had their way with DP to the tune 0f 21-0 in just less than a half. WP varsity played one quarter against DP and had then down 12-0. I expect that Apopka will have DP on a running clock early in the 3rd quarter when they play September 10th. It may even be worse for DP when they play at West Orange on October 1st, Cocoa the following week, and then Osceola a week later. All of those games may be blowouts."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Am I surprised at DP's performance this Fall? Back on August 23rd, after DP was whipped decisively by Lake Mary in Week "O", I posted the following comment on DP's prospects for this season:

"DP showed nothing in the Spring Jamboree against Apopka or Winter Park. Apopka's varsity played without new transfer QB Andrew McClain and had their way with DP to the tune 0f 21-0 in just less than a half. WP varsity played one quarter against DP and had then down 12-0. I expect that Apopka will have DP on a running clock early in the 3rd quarter when they play September 10th. It may even be worse for DP when they play at West Orange on October 1st, Cocoa the following week, and then Osceola a week later. All of those games may be blowouts."

You did point that out back then and some of us including myself thought DP would look better as season progressed.  You also defended the schedule WP had and felt it was as good as any in central Florida.  That is obviously wrong now that we can see all the teams records after 8 weeks.  The only two teams on their schedule that were upper echelon both beat WP.  If they played the other teams DP did, their record would be much the same.  My contention of the extremely difficult DP schedule proved to be right and other than Darter most thought Lake Mary to be a very good team, not a state playoff team which they certainly are.  DP did not get blown out by Apopka, Cocoa or us but did lose.  The big blowouts against West Orange and Lake Mary were self inflicted in those games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

You did point that out back then and some of us including myself thought DP would look better as season progressed.  You also defended the schedule WP had and felt it was as good as any in central Florida.  That is obviously wrong now that we can see all the teams records after 8 weeks.  The only two teams on their schedule that were upper echelon both beat WP.  If they played the other teams DP did, their record would be much the same.  My contention of the extremely difficult DP schedule proved to be right and other than Darter most thought Lake Mary to be a very good team, not a state playoff team which they certainly are.  DP did not get blown out by Apopka, Cocoa or us but did lose.  The big blowouts against West Orange and Lake Mary were self inflicted in those games.

You also defended the schedule WP had and felt it was as good as any in central Florida. The only two teams on their schedule that were upper echelon both beat WP.

The big blowouts against West Orange and Lake Mary were self inflicted in those games.

Blowouts were self inflicted? I think WO and LM had something to do with determining those blowouts. But, I won't dwell on DP's performance this season; I predicted that out earlier and it's come to fruition. As for WP's schedule and it's difficulty, I believe that I said they had no control over determining their District opponents, but hey have a good out of district schedule; I don't think that I said it was "as good as any in Central Florida". As for their two losses, they were to Lake Mary (38-14) and Edgewater (41-35) (LM and Edgewater are currently ranked #1 and #2 in Central Florida by Orlando Sentinel; WP is #9). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

You also defended the schedule WP had and felt it was as good as any in central Florida. The only two teams on their schedule that were upper echelon both beat WP.

The big blowouts against West Orange and Lake Mary were self inflicted in those games.

Blowouts were self inflicted? I think WO and LM had something to do with determining those blowouts. But, I won't dwell on DP's performance this season; I predicted that out earlier and it's come to fruition. As for WP's schedule and it's difficulty, I believe that I said they had no control over determining their District opponents, but hey have a good out of district schedule; I don't think that I said it was "as good as any in Central Florida". As for their two losses, they were to Lake Mary (38-14) and Edgewater (41-35) (LM and Edgewater are currently ranked #1 and #2 in Central Florida by Orlando Sentinel; WP is #9). 

And the teams that beat DP, Jones, Apopka, West Orange and Osceola are all ranked ahead of WP.  This list doesn't include Cocoa which taken as a group Winter Park wouldn't be sitting pretty either if they faced off against them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

You also defended the schedule WP had and felt it was as good as any in central Florida. The only two teams on their schedule that were upper echelon both beat WP.

The big blowouts against West Orange and Lake Mary were self inflicted in those games.

Blowouts were self inflicted? I think WO and LM had something to do with determining those blowouts. But, I won't dwell on DP's performance this season; I predicted that out earlier and it's come to fruition. As for WP's schedule and it's difficulty, I believe that I said they had no control over determining their District opponents, but hey have a good out of district schedule; I don't think that I said it was "as good as any in Central Florida". As for their two losses, they were to Lake Mary (38-14) and Edgewater (41-35) (LM and Edgewater are currently ranked #1 and #2 in Central Florida by Orlando Sentinel; WP is #9). 

Too bad they don't include Brevard in those rankings anymore

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Actually, it is just plain stupid as geographically they are no further from central Florida than Daytona teams.

Exactly. Brevard use to be included in the rankings by Orlando Sentinel and it looks like Brevard is starting back playing more Orange, Osceola, Lake and Volusia County teams again. And just like you said, geographically they fit into the Central Florida area. Which in fact the Space Coast is part of Central Florida. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Exactly. Brevard use to be included in the rankings by Orlando Sentinel and it looks like Brevard is starting back playing more Orange, Osceola, Lake and Volusia County teams again. And just like you said, geographically they fit into the Central Florida area. Which in fact the Space Coast is part of Central Florida. 

Local TV sports programs give Brevard good coverage like it deserves (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Spectrum).  Maybe a sportswriter for the Sentinel visits these posts and a light bulb will go off in his head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Local TV sports programs give Brevard good coverage like it deserves (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Spectrum).  Maybe a sportswriter for the Sentinel visits these posts and a light bulb will go off in his head.

Hopefully I know channel 9, Fox35 and news13 always covers Brevard very well. And still do til this day. Luckily Brevard has those outlets as well as their own in FloridaToday, Space Coast Daily and Brevard Sports Network

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Exactly. Brevard use to be included in the rankings by Orlando Sentinel and it looks like Brevard is starting back playing more Orange, Osceola, Lake and Volusia County teams again. And just like you said, geographically they fit into the Central Florida area. Which in fact the Space Coast is part of Central Florida. 

I second and third with you and Ray. Brevard should be covered by the Sentinel and the DB News-Journal. The late Bill Buchalter and Florida prep record guru Buddy Collings both headlined the Sentinel's great prep sports coverage for decades. They did a fabulous job. But newspapers now are an empty shell of their former past. Cuts, mergers, declining advertising rates, and the internet have dumped them (papers) to the scrap heap of relevance. In my long ago playing days most Volusia county area schools were in the Metro conference with all the bigger Orlando schools. We were major rivals for years and years in all high school sports endeavors. Times have changed, and sports departments have been gutted and farmed out to part timers. Most of the new scribes aren't from here, don't know anything of the area history, and would love nothing better then moving up the totem pole to cover Florida colleges and pro sports.  It is what it is......thank god for message boards.   :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Actually, it is just plain stupid as geographically they are no further from central Florida than Daytona teams.

 

50 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Local TV sports programs give Brevard good coverage like it deserves (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Spectrum).  Maybe a sportswriter for the Sentinel visits these posts and a light bulb will go off in his head.

 

55 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

Exactly. Brevard use to be included in the rankings by Orlando Sentinel and it looks like Brevard is starting back playing more Orange, Osceola, Lake and Volusia County teams again. And just like you said, geographically they fit into the Central Florida area. Which in fact the Space Coast is part of Central Florida. 

All exactly right. I think the Sentinel gave up on the Space Coast due to financial issues they were encountering and the fact that Florida Today became a big factor in terms of high school coverage in Brevard.

I have always considered Brevard to be part of the "Greater Orlando area," at least certainly as much as I consider Volusia and Lake Counties. Before I retired, I always had several Brevard based clients ranging from Titusville all the way down to Palm Bay. And, after all, like these other counties (Volusia and Lake), they border two of the big three "Orlando area Counties", in Brevard's case, Orange and Osceola. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

I second and third with you and Ray. Brevard should be covered by the Sentinel and the DB News-Journal. The late Bill Buchalter and Florida prep record guru Buddy Collings both headlined the Sentinel's great prep sports coverage for decades. They did a fabulous job. But newspapers now are an empty shell of their former past. Cuts, mergers, declining advertising rates, and the internet have dumped them (papers) to the scrap heap of relevance. In my long ago playing days most Volusia county area schools were in the Metro conference with all the bigger Orlando schools. We were major rivals for years and years in all high school sports endeavors. Times have changed, and sports departments have been gutted and farmed out to part timers. Most of the new scribes aren't from here, don't know anything of the area history, and would love nothing better then moving up the totem pole to cover Florida colleges and pro sports.  It is what it is......thank god for message boards.   :)

When did Bill Buchalter pass away? Larry Blustein is still covering High School Football. I have seen him on the Under the Lights show that Josh Wilson also appears on, along with several other regional commentators. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

And the teams that beat DP, Jones, Apopka, West Orange and Osceola are all ranked ahead of WP.  This list doesn't include Cocoa which taken as a group Winter Park wouldn't be sitting pretty either if they faced off against them.

You conveniently fail to mention that when DP and WP went head-to-head in the Week "0" Jamboree, WP beat DP 12-0 in only one quarter of varsity play. As for your opinion that "Winter Park wouldn't be sitting pretty either if they faced off against them", it's exactly that, an opinion nothing more. By the way, the teams that beat WP this season, those being Lake Mary and Edgewater, are both ranked ahead of Jones, Apopka, West Orange and Osceola. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

You conveniently fail to mention that when DP and WP went head-to-head in the Week "0" Jamboree, WP beat DP 12-0 in only one quarter of varsity play. As for your opinion that "Winter Park wouldn't be sitting pretty either if they faced off against them", it's exactly that, an opinion nothing more. By the way, the teams that beat WP this season, those being Lake Mary and Edgewater, are both ranked ahead of Jones, Apopka, West Orange and Osceola. 

If your arguments about spring games and jamborees have any merit, then Osceola beating Edgewater (in a full game at their place) in that setting this year means what?  You conveniently point out LM and Edgewater are ranked higher as if that has significance yet these other teams ranked higher than Winter Park have none.  Admire your dogged defense which tells me you'll keep going down these rabbit holes which have no end, so I'll expect more of the same.  That said I'll give you the last word.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

If your arguments about spring games and jamborees have any merit, then Osceola beating Edgewater (in a full game at their place) in that setting this year means what?  You conveniently point out LM and Edgewater are ranked higher as if that has significance yet these other teams ranked higher than Winter Park have none.  Admire your dogged defense which tells me you'll keep going down these rabbit holes which have no end, so I'll expect more of the same.  That said I'll give you the last word.

I appreciate the last word; thank you. I think all teams ranked in the Sentinel top 10 are worthy of their ranking; no disrespect meant to Osceola and the others that have played DP this season. My remarks have been that DP is not that good this season, that's all. Have a good day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...