State Finals 4A Booker T. Washington Vs. Raines

DisabledAccount

Here's my take on this game. Booker T. Washington has the better schedule and battle tested so picking them should be everyone's choice. Raines has one lonesome lost to rival Ribault in the Northwest Classic game which has been played I believe since 1969. Now look, we all know how rival games can go he'll we can throw in college football game NFL. I guess what I'm trying to say is did Raines beat everyone because of a weak schedule or their really that good. The last time Raines went to states was in 1997 and the last school in Jacksonville. Bolles did in 2011 which there private not public.

Breaking this game down, I would look how good the  Raines Defense is -  before what Raines has Offensively.  Why?  Look at all of the teams that beat BTW this year. All great defensive teams but maybe Jackson.  STA and Columbus slaughtered BTW and Northwestern and Miami Central beat  them in lower scoring affairs (relative to the scores BTW usually puts up). Those 4 teams are all solid Defensive teams.  Not sure about Cocoa Defensively , but Glades Central and University have/had weaker Defenses this year. Another note is Southridge is primarily a Defensive team and held their own against BTW losing 14-23 Particularly good defensively in the secondary. University school gave up 30 points to Archbishop McCarthy and 40 points to Key West - so dropping 41 on University is nothing jaw dropping.  We know Glades Central had a weaker secondary and again, I am not sure what Cocoa's Defense was made of, but I know it is not he Cocoa Defense of recent years.

8/28 @ STA 35   - 3 BTW (Lost)

9/11 @ Traz  Jackson 38 - 35 BTW (Lost)

9/19 @ Traz Southridge 14 - 23  BTW (Won)

9/26  @ Traz Central 35 - 28 BTW (Lost) 

10/10 @ Traz Northwestern 23 -17 BTW (Lost)

10/23 @ Tropical  Columbus 40 - 13 BTW (Lost)

As much as BTW has been improving weekly,  and as hard as it is to question their athleticism....it is pretty clear cut BTW has struggled with athletic Defensive oriented teams.   I am going to wait for your opinions on the Raines Defense before I lock BTW in on this one.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Breaking this game down, I would look how good the Raines Defense is - before what Raines has Offensively. Why? Look at all of the teams that beat BTW this year. All great defensive teams but maybe Jackson. STA and Columbus slaughtered BTW and Northwestern and Miami Central beat them in lower scoring affairs (relative to the scores BTW usually puts up). Thos 4 teams are all solid Defensive teams. Not sure about Cocoa Defensively , but Glades Central and University have/had weaker Defenses this year. Another note is Southridge is primarily a Defensive team and held their own against BTW losing 14-23 Particularly in the secondary. University school gave up 30 points to Archbishop McCarthy and 40 points to Key West - so dropping 41 on University is nothing jaw dropping. We know Glades Central had a weaker secondary and again, I am not sure what Cocoa's Defense was made of but I know it is not he Cocoa Defense of recent years.

8/28 @ STA 35 - 3 BTW (Lost)

9/11 @ Traz Jackson 38 - 35 BTW (Lost)

9/19 @ Traz Southridge 14 - 23 BTW (Won)

9/26 @ Traz Central 35 - 28 BTW (Lost)

10/10 @ Traz Northwestern 23 -17 BTW (Lost)

10/23 @ Tropical Columbus 40 - 13 BTW (Lost)

As much as BTW has been improving weekly, and as hard as it is to question their athleticism....it is pretty clear cut BTW has struggled with athletic Defensive oriented teams. I am going to wait for your opinions on the Raines Defense before I lock BTW in on this one.

Thoughts/Opinions?

All those teams had a good to great line play accept south ridge and Jackson....

The game I saw on YouTube was Raines out athlete them

If Raines thinks they will out athlete BTW they will be sorely mistaken. Now if they get excellent play from their lines than they have a shot, but like Zoe pointed out all but two of those teams controlled the LOS vs BTW. Control the line and that'll go a long way for Raines. 

Do you all think Raines or the coach I should say knows what's needed in order to beat the Tornadoes. If I didn't know anything I would choose Raines hands down because of the record. The other day I was on Raines alumni association page and someone wrote a comment saying, how do you make the playoffs at 8-5. I'm reading the comment like wow..... you clearly don't know a lot on high school football and I hope these Raines vikings don't think there gonna run all over these Tornadoes like everyone else because you are easily mistaken and it could potentially turn into a long night for Raines.

Do you all think Raines or the coach I should say knows what's needed in order to beat the Tornadoes. If I didn't know anything I would choose Raines hands down because of the record. The other day I was on Raines alumni association page and someone wrote a comment saying, how do you make the playoffs at 8-5. I'm reading the comment like wow..... you clearly don't know a lot on high school football and I hope these Raines vikings don't think there gonna run all over these Tornadoes like everyone else because you are easily mistaken and it could potentially turn into a long night for Raines.

well dont think Raines has much of a chance with BTW anyway, but anything can happen

If Raines can establish any kind of run, I think this will be closer than people think.  Raines has a 6'5" , 350 lb OT that has loads of BCS offers.  I'm going to call this one a little closer but BTW escaping with a 4 point win.  Not that Raines is Columbus.... but BTW's Defense was pounded by Columbus for 300 Rushing yards and almost 500 total yards just 5 weeks ago.  I won't be surprised one bit if Raines wins this game.  Cocoa was extremely banged up or extremely overrated.

The QB overthrew his receivers a lot. I did see one nicely executed Statue of Liberty play, though. Apopka ran that play with a lot of success in tight situations when Zack was the QB. It is not something I see often. 

While Raines probably matches up with BTW athletically, nothing in that video leads me to believe that they win. I will take Washington by 10.

The QB overthrew his receivers a lot. I did see one nicely executed Statue of Liberty play, though. Apopka ran that play with a lot of success in tight situations when Zack was the QB. It is not something I see often.

While Raines probably matches up with BTW athletically, nothing in that video leads me to believe that they win. I will take Washington by 10.

I was not impress with their defense but then yet that's a one game sample...

This game is crazy.  I hate to sound so negative here but I am going to call it like I am clearly seeing it.....Raines is slaughtering BTW in the stat sheet - but only up 10 - 7 at Halftime

.  BTW has 5 (FIVE) turnovers and there only score was a pick 6.  They might have 1 first down in the half alone .  

Defensively BTW has 4 (FOUR) Goal Line Stands!   So the BTW Defense is playing great inside the Red Zone , but the Offense is playing horrendous overall.  The play Offensive play calling on Raines is pathetic.  It look's like something that we all drew up in the sand or street when we were 10 years old.  The kicker for Raines made a 25 yarder and PAT but kicks straight on and with his toe.  It looks like he is kicking a 4 square rubber kickball.  Whatever works I guess....

Raines looks like the better overall team but will likely get out-coached in a close one.  With all due respect , neither of these teams look like state champion caliber teams.